More about what causing system process

    From: "Hoss" <Hoss@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | System is very slow, all work affected - task manager shows cpu usage at 100%
    | - the only process showing anything significant is System which obviously
    | cannot be removed. How can I tell what program or function is actually
    | causing this. Have disabled everything not essentail from startup. Have
    | made several services manual instead of automatic. Nothing seems to help.
    | Have Symantec with latest virus download running and have run the microsof
    | beta antispyware and nothing shows up. Have set windows explorer so I can
    | see all hidden and system files and could see nothing unusual. Have looked
    | at Run in the registry and again nothing unusual. Is there a way to break
    | the 'system' process and show what it really consists of?

    Try a "second opinion" AV scan

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
    Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

    Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
    Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

    Download CLEAN.EXE from the URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/clean.exe

    It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script Interpreter
    { http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, two Kixtart scripts, two Link
    (.lnk) files and a PDF instruction file.

    GETFILES.BAT -- For downloading (FTP) the files needed to run the McAfee Command Line
    Scanner. You may have to disable your FireWall or allow FTP.EXE to go through your FireWall
    to allow the FTP utility to download the needed files

    CLEAN.BAT -- For running within Windows after running c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT. If you choose
    to scan again at a future date, run this batch file. It will automatically check the date
    of the McAfee DAT files and if it is a couple of days old, it will download (FTP) the latest
    signature files and install them before performing the scan.

    DOSCLEAN.BAT -- For use on a Win9x/ME PC or on a Win2K/WinXP PC that is using FAT32 after
    you have booted from an Emergency Boot Disk or DOS disk and have already executed;
    c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT from within Windows. DOS disk boot images can be obtained from;
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    I need you to perform the following...

    Execute; CLEAN.EXE
    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT
    { or Double-click on 'GetFiles Link' in c:\mcafee }

    Reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key during boot]

    Shutdown as many applications as possible !
    It would also help for you to read - "How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

    Execute; c:\mcafee\CLEAN.BAT
    { or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c:\mcafee }

    A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\ScanReport.HTML will be generated. At the
    end of the scan, it will be displayed in your browser (Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer).
    It is suggested that you move the report out of c:\mcafee before performing another scan.
    It would be a good idea to scan in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
    report for each session.

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Windows