Hw do I tell what's causing the system process to run 99%

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 26, 2005 10:05:16 AM

System is very slow, all work affected - task manager shows cpu usage at 100%
- the only process showing anything significant is System which obviously
cannot be removed. How can I tell what program or function is actually
causing this. Have disabled everything not essentail from startup. Have
made several services manual instead of automatic. Nothing seems to help.
Have Symantec with latest virus download running and have run the microsof
beta antispyware and nothing shows up. Have set windows explorer so I can
see all hidden and system files and could see nothing unusual. Have looked
at Run in the registry and again nothing unusual. Is there a way to break
the 'system' process and show what it really consists of?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:50:56 PM

From: "Hoss" <Hoss@discussions.microsoft.com>

| System is very slow, all work affected - task manager shows cpu usage at 100%
| - the only process showing anything significant is System which obviously
| cannot be removed. How can I tell what program or function is actually
| causing this. Have disabled everything not essentail from startup. Have
| made several services manual instead of automatic. Nothing seems to help.
| Have Symantec with latest virus download running and have run the microsof
| beta antispyware and nothing shows up. Have set windows explorer so I can
| see all hidden and system files and could see nothing unusual. Have looked
| at Run in the registry and again nothing unusual. Is there a way to break
| the 'system' process and show what it really consists of?

Try a "second opinion" AV scan

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download CLEAN.EXE from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/clean.exe

It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script Interpreter
{ http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, two Kixtart scripts, two Link
(.lnk) files and a PDF instruction file.

GETFILES.BAT -- For downloading (FTP) the files needed to run the McAfee Command Line
Scanner. You may have to disable your FireWall or allow FTP.EXE to go through your FireWall
to allow the FTP utility to download the needed files

CLEAN.BAT -- For running within Windows after running c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT. If you choose
to scan again at a future date, run this batch file. It will automatically check the date
of the McAfee DAT files and if it is a couple of days old, it will download (FTP) the latest
signature files and install them before performing the scan.

DOSCLEAN.BAT -- For use on a Win9x/ME PC or on a Win2K/WinXP PC that is using FAT32 after
you have booted from an Emergency Boot Disk or DOS disk and have already executed;
c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT from within Windows. DOS disk boot images can be obtained from;
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I need you to perform the following...

Execute; CLEAN.EXE
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; c:\mcafee\GetFiles.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'GetFiles Link' in c:\mcafee }

Reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key during boot]

Shutdown as many applications as possible !
It would also help for you to read - "How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Execute; c:\mcafee\CLEAN.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c:\mcafee }

A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\ScanReport.HTML will be generated. At the
end of the scan, it will be displayed in your browser (Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer).
It is suggested that you move the report out of c:\mcafee before performing another scan.
It would be a good idea to scan in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
report for each session.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
!