Sign in with
Your question

Case Fan hole..

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2006 2:58:45 AM

I have a cheap case with only a single hole for an 80nm fan on the back.

Can i mod the case somehow to make it bigger? Like cut some parts out.. :?

Also, can i put a fan on the side of a case aswell as on the back and have them blowing in two different directions? Wouldnt they just compete with eachother? I dont know how this more than one air direction would work..

More about : case fan hole

December 29, 2006 3:29:46 AM

Probably put inputs toward the front & left side and outputs at the back and on top. Usual places are in front of the HD's blowing on them, right side of the case between cpu & HD's sucking air in, back anywhere blowing out, top middle blowing out.

Jo
December 29, 2006 2:23:19 PM

Quote:

Can i mod the case somehow to make it bigger? Like cut some parts out.. :?

Also, can i put a fan on the side of a case aswell as on the back and have them blowing in two different directions? Wouldnt they just compete with eachother? I dont know how this more than one air direction would work..

LOL I had to laugh when you wrote "80nm" which is 80 nanometers (0.080mm), not a lot of air flow there at all.

You can add another fan at the top if you have space. Don't worry as much about intakes as exhausts as the exhausts will pull air into the case from every crack and cranny available. Be carefull when you cut your case that you don't screw up another spot like the back motherboard plate.
Related resources
December 29, 2006 2:30:09 PM

If you have some room in the back and don't want to break out the dremel, silverstone makes a 92 mm case fan with 80mm mounting holes, which should give you a lot more airflow than a regular 80mm.
December 29, 2006 4:45:47 PM

What do u mean "no intake"? I have a single fan blowing OUT. Wouldnt blowing air in be a bad thing if we want the air to go out, wich is what the fan is doing?

But can i really just make a hole in my case??

And do i have to make it that the fans blowing IN are on the opposite side of the ones blowing OUT, or can i just have 2 fans fighting over the air that they can blow out? And do i need to have a fan blowing in, if i have one blowing out?

How DOES air getin my case, if i dont have a fan that is blowing in?

Thnx!
December 29, 2006 4:58:58 PM

Don't worry too much about cutting into your case; measure twice, take your time and be neat. Drill some holes for a new fan and put a grill on it. At worst, you completely screw up your case and you'll have to get a new one for 40 bucks.

As for air flow, a common rule of thumb is to have a larger fan in the back blowing out and a smaller one in the front blowing in. The resulting air flow looks something like this:

This way, the cold intake air flows over the critical components and directly out of the case.

The forums at xoxide are a good place for information on "modding" your case.
December 30, 2006 1:31:30 AM

Quote:

Yes

Quote:
Can i mod the case somehow to make it bigger?

Yes

Quote:
Like cut some parts out.. :??

Yes

The more parts you cut out, the less need there is for cooling. If you cut out certain parts it won't make ANY heat at all.

Quote:
Also, can i put a fan on the side of a case aswell as on the back and have them blowing in two different directions??

Yes

Quote:
Wouldnt they just compete with eachother??

No

If they were blowing same direction they'd compete. Oppsite is complimentary, if sufficient placement and balance of intake and exhaust whether active or passive.

Quote:
I dont know how this more than one air direction would work..

Don't reinvent the wheel. There are so many examples of modded, well cooled cases out there, pick one that is similar to yours as an example.
January 4, 2007 10:03:36 AM

most of the comments here are quite valid. some of my comments may sound wierd but, i have seen too many people do crazy things.

first and formost remember: HEAT RISES!

if you want to add another fan, put it as high in the case as practical.

using a smaller input fan (low, in the front, WITH A FILTER) is always a good idea. if you don't let air in, it cannot take the unwanted heat out. some time ago, i added an input fan to the bottom (front) of my older tower case and the internal temperature dropped 5 degrees (F) immediately.

another overlooked thing is NOT to have extra open holes in the case that are not connected with a fan. those holes allow eddy currents to interfear with the airflow and the efficiency of the designed cooling system.

also remember lead dress! keeping the air flow paths open inside the case will help a lot.

NEVER put a computer directly on the floor! the dust and dirt that is kicked up in ANY environment coats the internal parts of the computer and drastically lowers cooling efficiency! i have seen too many computers in for major repairs that are completely jammed up with dust and durt. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER PUT A COMPUTER DIRECTLY ON A RUG!!! rugs compound the dust problems drastically.

NEVER put a computer inside a closed cabinet, without good air flow (holes)! otherwise you might as well put your computer in an oven and cook it!

remember to vaccuum out the dust from the air input and output holes on a regular basis (at least every few months). failure to do so will kill a computer, as sure as death and taxes. bobvc99
January 4, 2007 3:34:27 PM

Quote:
remember to vaccuum out the dust from the air input and output holes on a regular basis (at least every few months). failure to do so will kill a computer, as sure as death and taxes. bobvc99

Don't vacuum the inside of the comp as vacuums are very statically-charged and can fry your components. I use compressed air from a few feet away.

Jo
January 4, 2007 7:50:23 PM

JMecc: you are correct! thank you for the very good point.

when i said vaccuum, i meant from the outside of the closed case, with the computer still plugged in (to keep the ground line in tact).

this is something that anyone in the family can do as part of their regular chores.
January 5, 2007 1:45:35 AM

I blow mine & family's ones out when I am making major component changes so I have the comp open on a bench anyway. This turns out to be frequent enough though as I'm always upgrading. About one or twice a year is good if the area is not too dusty.
Jo
January 5, 2007 4:07:06 AM

Quote:
Leave the 80mm as is. If you want more and better airflow and your willing to do a mod then add a ehaust fan to the top of the case. Cut yourself a 120mm hole between the PSU and Drive bays. Depending on the PSU yyou finnaly decide on you should have plenty of room there to hang the fan. Or do like i did and mount it on top of the case. Either way. My case also only had a 80mm rear fan. After modding mine i got an 8c drop in temps. You just don't realize how much hot air acumilates in the top of the case and how much it effects the entire system.

I like blowhole fans, they work great. Some cases are so space congested up top that blowhole fans don't work so good. For example, if you have a non-modular power supply, the excess cable bundle can block much of the blowhole airflow. One solution is to tie-wrap the unused cables and plumb them down into an unused 5" bay space. Cleaning up the airflow paths can have a big effect. Likewise, adding a door fan can have a large effect per buck invested.
!