Windows 2000 upgrade to windows 7 question

vigorvermin

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hey,

from everything I've read online I can do an upgrade from 2000 to 7. My question is can I go from windows 2000 32bit to windows 7 64bit? They would both be professional versions. Any idea? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Thanks

vigorvermin

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
how come? Do you actually know or are you just assuming? I read more about it here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1214-63-windows-32bit-64bit-upgrade

"Unfortunately, "upgrade" refers to two different things and therefore causes a lot of confusion:

1) Licensing - the ability to purchase an "upgrade" copy of the new OS at a reduced price based on having a licensed prior version. You CAN do this for Windows 7 if you have ANY version of Windows since Windows 2000. The new license is valid even if you install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and your previous OS was 32-bit.

2) Installation - the ability to install the new OS onto an existing system while keeping all of the existing accounts and installed software intact. With Windows 7 you can only do this if the previous system was Vista and only if it's a 32-bit to 32-bit upgrade or a 64-bit to 64-bit upgrade. All other combinations require you that you migrate your accounts and reinstall your software after installing Windows 7."

However this was disputed on that post and I'm kinda confused as to what the answer was.

G

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and then choose the Custom option during Windows Vista installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows Vista.

For detailed information about installing and upgrading 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, go to Installation choices for Windows Vista (32-bit) or Installation choices for Windows Vista (64-bit) online.

vigorvermin

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I'm cool with that I just want to make sure I can do it with the disc. It's going on a new computer. I just can get a copy of 2000 + upgrade of windows 7 for far cheaper than OEM of windows 7

TRENDING THREADS