If there is a more appropriate group to discuss this, please let me know:

There is talk about Google offering their search capabilites for local
searching of hard drives. I haven't loaded it but I would imagine that they
mainly build an index. And I've wondered why Microsoft's standard search
seems slow and incomplete. MS does have an indexing service built into
Windows. MS doesn't seem to have this set by default and even when you turn
on Index Servicing they have buried the Index Service Query Form so deep
that it appears that they don't intend for people to use it. And it appears
that you have to use the Index Service Query Form to search the index
because the standard Search off the Start button doesn't seem to use the
index. Is this true?

Next point: I have Indexing turned on. I don't believe that I need to
index every file on the drive. I certainly want to index all my data files,
including my text docs, my music and media files to get tag information into
the index. I also want to get the browser cache/history and I want to get
everything from Outlook, and the newsreader files.

What do you guys think about this?

STeve

I always turn off indexing and things work faster and no glitches.