cause for my HSF not to start

ganjaman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
i am geting the start up beep but my hsf will rotate once or twice then shut off, i think i have enouf power... ive got a 430w 12v/18A with 2 120mm fans runing.... what should i do. it has worked in the past

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
i am geting the start up beep but my hsf will rotate once or twice then shut off, i think i have enouf power... ive got a 430w 12v/18A with 2 120mm fans runing.... what should i do. it has worked in the past

could be alot of things.. i would buy a new heatsink first of all.. probally a zalman 9500 depending on wut cpu u got..

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
First thing that came to my mind is a failed fan on the CPU's heatsink, and the CPU overheated, so it shuts down by itself.

Just buy a new one.

A heatsink is a heatsink, a fan is a fan, a failed fan and you go buy a new heatsink.. that's just blehhh...

and KnowsItAll, if you don't help, don't screw them up, we don't need those kind of effort in this forum :(

ganjaman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
so a new fan not an entirely new Heat sink unit? it is the stock cooler so i could probly just send it with the back no?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004

You haven't given enough data. It sounds like your Power supply might be shutting down. It might not be the HSF at all. What are your system specs? can you get into BIOS etc?

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
If the fan isn't working, definitely replace it. You don't want to fry your CPU simply because a fan went out. You say the mobo beeps when it starts up - does it boot windows/start properly? It's probably something else if your system isn't even booting properly anymore.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Yeah, definitely give us more info on what's going on. CPU, HSF, boot result, etc. Otherwise it's just groping around in the dark. If your PC does boot to Windows you might be well advised to shut it down NOW. Can you imagine what would happen if you're running a Prescott or Pentium D without a heatsink fan? Sizzle... melt... plop.

ganjaman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
well i just put the comp togeather and i have not configured the bios yet, it does come up to the bios screen but i dont want to go into it because im afraid it will fry after a few seconds. i took the heat sink and fan out to aply AC5, it worked before i removed it and it does not work now. my gpu fan is spining aswell as my 2 180m fans. my ddr2 led screens are lighting up to. im pretty sure that it is the fan. i am geting my system beep but for 1 second the fan does not go, then it rotates, then the cpu fan shuts off.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Go in to the BIOS and find a feature that automatically turns on system fans when the temp gets high enough, and shut it off. My motherboard had that 'problem'. The purpose is to save power and noise, but I like my fans running at all times. When I turned it on, the fan would seem to flicker a bit but never turn on. Then I went in to the BIOS, shut off that feature, and the fans spin from startup.

leo2kp

Distinguished
The computer most likely has a thermal shutoff limit. It will shut off even in the BIOS if it gets too hot. So you're safe if you want to lurk around the BIOS and find out if that feature is on or not. If it's on, then you'll notice the fan kick in when the CPU heats up :)

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
You mention in your first post that you have two 120mm fans running... why not unscrew one of these from the case and point it over the heatsink (temporarily) while you're lurking around the BIOS looking for the "Cool N' Quiet" feature (or whatever your brand will be called). This should keep the CPU from overheating for now. It's possible that the fan speed monitor is keeping your HSF from running, as leo mentions.

Whew I better not give too much advice, as I haven't gotten any sleep today or yesterday - just got home now, and I'm planning on hitting the sack. I'll check back here when I wake up. :wink: :lol:

Out of curiosity, what are your system specs?

ganjaman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
i turned off the power saving fan control in the bios and saved it. now when i turn the pc on and the speaker constantly beeps, no space in betwean them, what could that be? 8O all my temps are cool...

specs are
GA 965P S3
E6300
x800gto2
thermeltake 430w
twin2xp1024-5400c4
120gig seagate baracuda 7200rpm

leo2kp

Distinguished
Wow crazy. Shut it off for a few minutes as a cycled shutdown, then turn it back on and see what happens. Turning off fan controls shouldn't have hurt anything...wonder why that happened.

ganjaman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
i turn on the power and evrery thing turns on, then turns of, then turns back on. i get 2 short beeps then a beep that i havent heard the end of yet. i tried switching the memory around and that made no diffrence

Xpyrofuryx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006

I had this EXACT thing happen to me. It turned out my AMD chip went bad. I sent it back to AMD and they sent me a new one

After looking at all the posts.....why not reset the bios....then get a 3 to 4 pin fan adapter....and if its a pwn fan you can cut the right(well this depends on how you have it facing) side off leave the lock for reference to make sure its connected up right....and plug the fan right on your psu....this will tell you if the fan is bad or if the board is just a pain in the ass....?

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I'll get ya a pic when I get back to my home computer closer to the weekend. Man I love not having a job anymore, because that means I have almost a month off of school for winter break, with no work to stop me from traveling around from house to house, partying in the holidays. Ugh I'm gonna get burned out really soon if I keep this up. Not that I'm complaining. 8)

BTW nice sig pic! :lol:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I'll get ya a pic when I get back to my home computer closer to the weekend. Man I love not having a job anymore, because that means I have almost a month off of school for winter break, with no work to stop me from traveling around from house to house, partying in the holidays. Ugh I'm gonna get burned out really soon if I keep this up. Not that I'm complaining. 8)

BTW nice sig pic! :lol:

I'd love to be able to dump my job and go back to uni. After all, the first time around is just a haze. I remember getting laid a lot but I sure as hell don't remember what was going on in classes!

Well, let's hope your gf's pic can compare to my sig pic! :lol: