i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is ther..

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 26, 2005 6:15:33 PM

i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
what person or process has a lock on it?

More about : file locked delete ther

May 26, 2005 6:56:01 PM

It would be helpful to know exactly which file it is that is locked, but
lacking that here is something you can try. Start Windows in Safe Mode then
attempt to delete the file. I'm only guessing here, because you didn't
specify what it is, that the file is either a .exe or a .dll file and that it
is being shown as 'In use' by the operating system. By loading into Safe
Mode Windows will load only what is necessary for the OS to operate at the
basic level and not execute the entries in the /run folder of the regisrty.
If what I assume is correct, you will then be able to delete the file in
question.

Hope this helps.

"Daniel" wrote:

> i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
> what person or process has a lock on it?

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:02:41 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:15:33 -0700, "Daniel"
<softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote:
>i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
>what person or process has a lock on it?

You might try here
http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&Vie...

Enter

locked file

Or whatever else you think might result in an article

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:12:02 PM

Hi Daniel,
Deleting the file from the safe mode is the best option. You can also use
the process explorer from sysinternals.com and see which application has its
handles open on this particular file and you can close that handle.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...

Lukesh

"Daniel" wrote:

> i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
> what person or process has a lock on it?

!
naked