i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is ther..

i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
what person or process has a lock on it?
3 answers Last reply
More about file locked delete ther

    It would be helpful to know exactly which file it is that is locked, but
    lacking that here is something you can try. Start Windows in Safe Mode then
    attempt to delete the file. I'm only guessing here, because you didn't
    specify what it is, that the file is either a .exe or a .dll file and that it
    is being shown as 'In use' by the operating system. By loading into Safe
    Mode Windows will load only what is necessary for the OS to operate at the
    basic level and not execute the entries in the /run folder of the regisrty.
    If what I assume is correct, you will then be able to delete the file in
    question.

    Hope this helps.

    "Daniel" wrote:

    > i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
    > what person or process has a lock on it?

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:15:33 -0700, "Daniel"
    <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
    >what person or process has a lock on it?

    You might try here
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us

    Enter

    locked file

    Or whatever else you think might result in an article

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Hi Daniel,
    Deleting the file from the safe mode is the best option. You can also use
    the process explorer from sysinternals.com and see which application has its
    handles open on this particular file and you can close that handle.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    Lukesh

    "Daniel" wrote:

    > i have a file that is locked. i can not delete it. is there any way to see
    > what person or process has a lock on it?

Microsoft Windows