statsislies

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hi - this question isn't feedback, but rather a question regarding the hardware benchmark tests on this website. I'm curious exactly how the tests are ran and what variables are recorded; as well as the statistical analysis performed.

All I could find is this: "Each benchmark is run in two different settings representing the “Gamer” and “Enthusiast” scenario. We also determine a reference point for each benchmark and each setting that represents full playability. Tallying up the results of these tests gives us two performance indexes that allow us to compare different cards to one another: the gamer index and the enthusiast index."

Is there any information that says what variables specifically define the 'gamer' and 'enthusiast' scenarios? I'm a statistics student and am curious how these tests are created :)

Thanks!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Greetings,

Which story are you referring to, exactly? For the reviews written locally, we try to provide as much detail as possible with regard to settings and test sequences.

The German team did write a couple of round-ups, however, where the benchmark information was not clear. I've asked them to revise their methodology to better match what the other Tom's Hardware sites do, so you shouldn't see any of that ambiguity moving forward!

Best,
Chris