Price vs. Perf on midrange GFX

Minerva

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Hi All

I had a stroke of "brilliant" luck last night...

Bought some Zalmann ramsinks for my Leadtek PX6600GT TDH Extreme 128MB. So off I rip the waterblock, yank the card out of the pc, clean up the ram chips with some 95% alcohol(sp?) stick the ramsinks on, clean the GPU as well, put some new paste on, refit the waterblock and stick the card back in the pc... Power up... NOTHING :(

So out I rip everything, clinb in with compressed air, blow all the connectors etc, check the card, making sure I didn't break anything. Replug - still nothing... :cry: In the end, I put in a PCI card into the pc, and the pc is working 100% So this morning I brought the card with me to work and tried it in another pc, seems the card is totally dead. I am trying to find out if it is still under guarantee, witch it should be, but I am looking at a replacement if it isn't. S now we get to the question...

Price is a bit of an issue, so I will have to look at a midrange card, ie: 7300, 7600 and whatever goes in that price/perf range on the ATi's - I must be quite honest and say that I have no idea what the comparative ATi's are to the nVidias...

What should I go for - nV/ATi and what brands are better between Gainward/Leadtek/Inno/Gigabyte/Asus/others?

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I am in South Africa so an item on newegg os such site in the us is not going to help me at all.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
this should be fairly helpful, as far as determining what might be best suited to your budget

its an article THW did on the best price/performance gaming gpus (as of december)... now, these price catagories are US based, but they should carry over somewhat to where you are...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/12/the_best_gaming_graphics_cards_for_the_money/

yeah... most people are probably asleep about now, but no worries about responses, youll be guaranteed to at least get a few in most cases, usually over the coarse of a few hours, give or take

Minerva

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Ahhhh, cool, that helps. I had a look at the gpu charts as well, and as there weren;t any prices there, it didnt make much sense to me.