Asus P5B Deluxe or Gigabyte DS3???

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
If you're only going for such a mild OC, I'd recommend saving your cash and getting the S3 instead of the DS3. The only difference (besides the price!) is solid capacitors on the DS3 which have a longer MTBF. For such a mild OC, the extra "strain" placed on the caps will not stress them so much, so they'll easily last long enough (probably like 10 years or so!) til your next upgrade.

I'm planning on an E6400 @ 3.2 using the S3... I upgrade every 2-3 years, so the solid caps are a waste of cash for my needs, IMHO.

Food for thought!

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
If you're only going for such a mild OC, I'd recommend saving your cash and getting the S3 instead of the DS3. The only difference (besides the price!) is solid capacitors on the DS3 which have a longer MTBF. For such a mild OC, the extra "strain" placed on the caps will not stress them so much, so they'll easily last long enough (probably like 10 years or so!) til your next upgrade.

I'm planning on an E6400 @ 3.2 using the S3... I upgrade every 2-3 years, so the solid caps are a waste of cash for my needs, IMHO.

Food for thought!

what he said.

I have all these people saying ds3 is better. WTF people? Plain ol capacitors are used since the dawn of computer era? And now they are suddenly unstable (or whatever other stupid comment I've heard) because of solid capacitors?

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006

Food for thought!

what he said.

I have all these people saying ds3 is better. WTF people? Plain ol capacitors are used since the dawn of computer era? And now they are suddenly unstable (or whatever other stupid comment I've heard) because of solid capacitors?

The solid caps are not what makes this board great, it's the stabilityand overclockability of it. The s3 version is just as good, but won't last as long as the ds3. I recommend the gigabyte, I believe it to be the best for you dollar. I have built machines with both ds3 and s3, and have hit high clocks on both. Shoot for 3.2Ghz, it will clock that high very easily with little voltage increase. 400 base clock x 8 multiplier and set the memory 1:1 to get 3.2G 1.6G fsb and 800Mhz ram.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Wait till January for the ASUS commando

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1480&modelmenu=1

I think that'll be slightly more expensive than the S3... And hence a waste of cash as it's totally OTT for the OP's needs.

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Shoot for 3.2Ghz, it will clock that high very easily with little voltage increase.

I have never had an S3 so I can't compare, but my DS3 is rock-solid. It has an automatic voltage setting in the bios, which is great for anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience in o'c'ing. The Easy-Tune program also works great, but don't use the CIA-MIB function - it locked me up (the only time I've been able to lock up this rig).

TRENDING THREADS