Wireless WAN using Seanao ECB-3220

RomanJB

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I've read the FAQ but cannot get it to work. Basically, I'd like to use it as AP client and possibly bridge or router. I don't want to use WDS because I don't have access to the APs(public).
When I try client bridge mode, it connects to an AP (I am testing it at home - wired LAN with DHCP plus WiFi AP and extender), but I don't know how to get it to work on the wired LAN side. I set the IP to DHCP client and then my directly connected laptop also to DHCP, but I got a weired IP (not from my server) and it obviusly didn't work. I am also surprised that the MAC of the wireless radio is the same as the wired LAN card on Senao. How is it supposed to work?
I set "enable MAC clone" and "Transparent bridge".

Another mode I tried is Client Router. I was hoping that the wireless will connect as client using DHCP and that the wired part will be routed to it using NAT. Again, it connected to the AP, however it waited forever for the IP. The interface is confusing to me - and the concepts too.

If you are wandering what I want to achieve: I want to have Internet access on my boat. I want to use a device with more power (this one 400mW) and better anthena instead of a regular wifi card. As a bonus I'd like to be able to use more then one computer (hence the bridge or router).

Thanks for any suggestions,

Roman

RomanJB

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Update. I got it partially to work in the client router mode. I had to set a static IP on the WLAN side and DHCP server on the wired LAN side. It took some time for it to connect but it works as expected. The LAN side is routed through NAT to the WLAN side. This will not work in my application because I won't be able to set a static IP when connecting to public networks.
When I use DHCP on the WLAN side my server (Netscreen box) reports assigning an IP to the wireless MAC, but the Senao box keeps hanging there waiting.
This thing is running Linux Net4.0 and is quite flakey. Anybody has experience with it?

Question about the bridge mode. Is the box supposed to get just one IP? If I set it to DHCP client should it get the IP from the WLAN side, even though the setting is in the LAN management section of the UI?

Roman