RAID1 Boot Drive

I am considering using the RAID1 capability of my motherboard to make
the Boot and System drive a RAID1 (mirrored) array. Some people have
told me that I will take a big performance hit doing this, but I have
found articles that show the performance hit is very small.

What are the feelings of this group? Is a RAID1 boot disk a good idea?

-Landy
4 answers Last reply
More about raid1 boot drive

    Hi Atkinson,
    Theoretically you may face some performance hits but if you ask me, I have
    done it a number of times and have not faced any problem. Although it has
    been very helpful when one of the disk fails.

    Theoretically,
    RAID 1 is disk mirroring. Two drives store identical information so that one
    is a mirror of the other. For every disk operation, the system must write the
    same information to both disks. Because dual write operations can degrade
    system performance, many employ duplexing, where each mirror drive has it own
    host adapter. While the mirror approach provides good fault tolerance, it is
    relatively expensive to implement, because only half of the available disk
    space can be used for storage while the other is used for mirroring.

    Following might be helpful:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;100110

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/operate/11w2kada.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;114779

    Lukesh

    "Atkinson" wrote:

    > I am considering using the RAID1 capability of my motherboard to make
    > the Boot and System drive a RAID1 (mirrored) array. Some people have
    > told me that I will take a big performance hit doing this, but I have
    > found articles that show the performance hit is very small.
    >
    > What are the feelings of this group? Is a RAID1 boot disk a good idea?
    >
    > -Landy

    I've used Raid1 (mobo controler SATA drives) + win2k I've seen no
    performance hit.
    When a mirror drive failed I was running again in the time it took to
    disconnect failed drive.

    "Atkinson" <atkinson@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am considering using the RAID1 capability of my motherboard to make
    > the Boot and System drive a RAID1 (mirrored) array. Some people have
    > told me that I will take a big performance hit doing this, but I have
    > found articles that show the performance hit is very small.
    >
    > What are the feelings of this group? Is a RAID1 boot disk a good idea?
    >
    > -Landy

    I dont believe most of the kb articles are applicable to a hw mirror
    implimentation

    "lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Atkinson,
    > Theoretically you may face some performance hits but if you ask me, I have
    > done it a number of times and have not faced any problem. Although it has
    > been very helpful when one of the disk fails.
    >
    > Theoretically,
    > RAID 1 is disk mirroring. Two drives store identical information so that
    one
    > is a mirror of the other. For every disk operation, the system must write
    the
    > same information to both disks. Because dual write operations can degrade
    > system performance, many employ duplexing, where each mirror drive has it
    own
    > host adapter. While the mirror approach provides good fault tolerance, it
    is
    > relatively expensive to implement, because only half of the available disk
    > space can be used for storage while the other is used for mirroring.
    >
    > Following might be helpful:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;100110

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/operate/11w2kada.mspx

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;114779
    >
    > Lukesh
    >
    > "Atkinson" wrote:
    >
    > > I am considering using the RAID1 capability of my motherboard to make
    > > the Boot and System drive a RAID1 (mirrored) array. Some people have
    > > told me that I will take a big performance hit doing this, but I have
    > > found articles that show the performance hit is very small.
    > >
    > > What are the feelings of this group? Is a RAID1 boot disk a good idea?
    > >
    > > -Landy

    Hi,
    Yeah but I have not gotten any problem yet with any mirror, hardware or
    software. I reckon the hardware mirror is a lot beter in performance.

    Lukesh

    "DL" wrote:

    > I dont believe most of the kb articles are applicable to a hw mirror
    > implimentation
    >
    > "lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Atkinson,
    > > Theoretically you may face some performance hits but if you ask me, I have
    > > done it a number of times and have not faced any problem. Although it has
    > > been very helpful when one of the disk fails.
    > >
    > > Theoretically,
    > > RAID 1 is disk mirroring. Two drives store identical information so that
    > one
    > > is a mirror of the other. For every disk operation, the system must write
    > the
    > > same information to both disks. Because dual write operations can degrade
    > > system performance, many employ duplexing, where each mirror drive has it
    > own
    > > host adapter. While the mirror approach provides good fault tolerance, it
    > is
    > > relatively expensive to implement, because only half of the available disk
    > > space can be used for storage while the other is used for mirroring.
    > >
    > > Following might be helpful:
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;100110
    > >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/operate/11w2kada.mspx
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;114779
    > >
    > > Lukesh
    > >
    > > "Atkinson" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am considering using the RAID1 capability of my motherboard to make
    > > > the Boot and System drive a RAID1 (mirrored) array. Some people have
    > > > told me that I will take a big performance hit doing this, but I have
    > > > found articles that show the performance hit is very small.
    > > >
    > > > What are the feelings of this group? Is a RAID1 boot disk a good idea?
    > > >
    > > > -Landy

Performance Boot Windows