Looking for a very good set of PC speakers

cliff_nj

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I am looking for the best PC speakers I can get for no more than $400. They will be connected to a X-Fi Fatal1ty card. I tested the Bose Companion 3 Series II speakers and returned them as I found they had little to no mid-range. I would like to be able to game and listen to music. Right now I am debating between 2 sets.

Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836116142

Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121120

While I do not need 7.1 channels, I did see the frequency response on the Creative speakers was spec'd better than the logitech although I am at a disadvantage since no local store sells the creative speakers so I can not hear them in person. Anyone use either of these sets or have any input?

Thanks

I own the z's and I love em.Sound wise theyre nice,not the best from what Ive read but again I love em.The subs a lil boomy,the sats a lil over at mids, and the highs not audio expert crisp. OK now off with the gloves,they ROCK!! You want boom? You get it.Thump,you get it , and gaming is exquisite. Room size , if your area is larger than 12 x 15 then they may not fill it all. They can connect to headphones,gaming console,dvd player pc and a tv all at once.Like I said I LOVE em

dlmac

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Personally, I have use klipsch speakers for about 5 years now. Just this week I upgraded from 4.1 to 5.1 version and I love them. I really can't compare them to eather Logitc or creative because i have only used klipsch personally, but from what I have read in other forumns klipsch is better. But that can easilty be a matter of opinion.

I got mine on ebay for 200$, amazon.com sells them for about 350$ i think.

Has anyone ever compared klipsch,logitec or creative speakers?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
...if you really have $400 to spend on computer speakers (and a little bit of room available), i would seriously consider getting something more worthwhile and noticably higher sound quality (than any commercially available pc speaker set for that matter), especially if youre intending on higher quality listening for music, let alone gaming; for about $260 you can get a 5 speaker sony home theater setup, 2 mid sized full ranged floorstanding speakers (with 2 subs and 1 passive radiator included in each of the front speakers), 1 center bookshelf, and 2 surround bookshelves... this will definetly blow away any pc speaker set though, for volume capacity, tonal accuracy and dispersion, frequency response, THD levels, etc... bar none, and the speakers are all matched, so the acoustic qualities wont differ between them

Sony Dual 6-1/2" 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers (Pair)
Model: SS-MF650H - $123.49
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7879628&st=ssmf650h&type=product&id=1149205463224

Sony 5-1/4" 2-Way Extended-Response Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Black Ash
Model: SS-MB150H - $56.98
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5378799&st=ssmb150h&type=product&id=1051806316624

Sony SS-CN550H Center Channel Speaker - $79.99
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3656025?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

so thats $260 total... which leaves $140 for a surround a/v receiver, unless you already have one

cliff_nj

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I would love to put ina real A/V system tho space is a constraint which is why I would not use all 7.1 speakers even on the creative system.

I did see in some reviews several people complaining about "popping" on the logitech speakers.. has anyone experienced this or know what would cause it?

Has anyone out there heard the creative system in comparison?

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Has anyone tried the Klipsch 5.1 system?
I have read they sound as good as the Gigaworks just 5.1 instead of 7.1 and they are about $70 cheaper.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx

Any comments?
There's a reason why the Z-5500 is the best selling high end speaker system for computers. While the Klipsch sounds a tiny bit better and the sub hits a little bit harder, it's old. The amp is known to die, I don't know why Klipsch hasn't done something about this if they want to stay competitive in the PC speaker market. The Logitech also has a superior control pod, with all the decoders and such.

I haven't experienced any popping, it sounds great to me. I listen to rock/metalcore and rap and I don't see how it could get much better. The satallites are crisp, clear, and very loud. The subwoofer hits hard, although as I'm a sucker for bass I wish it could have been a 12" with more wattage. For this price there really is no competition. If you're going to spend more then you might as well get a quality A/V system with a seperate reciever and such.

someonewhoisdead

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
you can find some refurbished z5500's on ebay for around 215 after shipping, that's where i got mine.

cant comment on the quality of the creatives, but i love the z5500's i have.

would definitely recommend you snag them!

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
I have the logitech Z5500's and they are superb, you get the best of all worlds, can connect them to pretty much anything and the sound quality is great for everything you would ever want to do with your pc.

Unless these break from me blasting too much hiphop thru them I will never need another set of speakers as far as I am concerned.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
The popping is the control pod, logitech has fixed this apperently. I had that issue with my z680 same as 5500 but with a 8 inch sub not a 10. Having upgraded from z680 to klipcsh 5.1 (or though it was a upgrade) the klipsch sounded great but I've sent the amp in 3 times for repairs and in all honesty they don't sound much better if any at all, than the z680's did. (sold the klipsch on e-bay after I got them back the 3rd time)
Yes a seperate reciever and some better speakers would benifit but the sonys the other d00d was suggesting are ummm not good.

So now I have the z5500 and they are wonderful, great sound and the sub is only boomy if you don't set it up properly. I can't comment on the creatives but I've heard from a number of people they are fantastic. I'd might have given them a try if I needed 7.1 but for the price difference I can't justify it, plus I can barely get the 5.1 set up with the proper distances in my room.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Yes a seperate reciever and some better speakers would benifit but the sonys the other d00d was suggesting are ummm not good.

truthfully though, not good compared to what?... if youre comparing them to $1500+ HT speakers, then no, they wont quite stand up... on the other extreme however, if youre comparing them to small form factor computer speakers, and especially for the comparatively inexpensive cost, they really cant be beat, for the cost/performance effectiveness... ...the floorstanding speakers, i can vouch personally for them being excellent sounding speakers, acoustically on par with floorstanding speakers a few hundred dollars more even... ...the remaining bookshelf speakers chosen out that were listed, were intended to match the quality of the floorstandings, for sensetivity, accuracy, and frequency response, which also completely negate the requirement for a seperate powered sub as well (further saving on expenses, and space), as they can output up to 360 watts total by themselves (the floorstandings), at down to ~20Hz even (even though theyre rated at 40Hz)... thats not to say you cant get a seperate powered sub, it just wont be necessary then... a seperate powered sub can then be optionally used for its ideal purpose as a supportive LFE (.1 channel) speaker

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Not good compaired to pc speakers, they are not intended for near field listing therefor would and will sound worse if you try to place them on your desk or very close to you. You will not get a good soundstage, pc speakers are made so you can listen to them near field, thats thier puropose and intenction. Some speakers are better than others at this. I've personally tried my paradigm sig 2's with my anthem D1 and my rotel 1095 (200x5rms) and though it sounded pretty good, the speakers need room to produce the soundstage that makes the speakers sound good or bad(well alot more things than that but its a big factor). Smaller monitor types would be ok if thats the direction you wanted to go, but I would suggest unless you have the room for proper placement its money wasted IMO. If you want to try this look at axiom audio or av123 or even svs and hsu. Much better speakers than the sonys.
Yes I know they are more expencive but you get what you pay for.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I own Klipsch speakers and I have compared them to cheaper Logitech speakers (the X540s) and the Klipsch Promedia line blew them out of the water (btw, I have a m-audio sound card and the Monster Cable pack for my Promedias). Of course, this is to be expected since those Logitech's retail for 99.99 anyway so they're a much cheaper speaker. I haven't had a chance to check out Logitech's nicer speakers, but I do like Logitech products so I have high hopes for them.

I've listened to the GigaWorks line and so far have been unimpressed. The highs seem a bit harsh to my ear (especially at high volume-levels). Anyway, if it came down to those 2 sets I would go with the Logitech. Their cheaper speakers (although not as good as Klipsch) are good for the price.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
im with you about speaker difference... no contentions about there being much better speakers out there than the sonys, albeit for notably more expensive in most cases though too... ...as far as up close listening, i agree completely there too, at 38" tall theres no real ideal way to place them on your desk, and have them sound good either, so you definetly need a bit of space too, ~4-5'+... ...it basically amounts to 'HT audiophile on a tight budget', thats kindof an oxymoron, as those two things usually dont go together well; googling for SS-MF650H reviews gives a good indication, that you do get what you pay for, sometimes more... ...HT speakers will most likely outlive someones pc through quite a few upgrades, for quite a few years even, and can be taken to a HT system later on if they wanted to, without needing to completely reinvest in all new speakers... now, if money isnt a huge concern, the sonys wouldnt quite be the way to go, and the skys the limit :)

and, i guess they went down in price again after new years, only $103 on sale now at best buy... which is almost half the price they were last year (which is what they still cost at outpost.com, $199), so, again, entirely a great buy for the price... and, the surround bookshelves are down to $47.98 on sale at best buy... so, yes

spet3r

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Had the Creative 5.1 System for 4 yrs now with a Audigy 2 sound card recently upgraded to a X-FI Fatal1ty card. No complaints... I've listened to the Logitech and the Klipsch. Klipsch was a bit too pricey and the Logitech didn't sound as clear but with more bass compared to the Creative speakers. Sorry, I'm more of a clarify than a bass person.

Not sure if they still sell the 5.1 set but I picked mine up 4 yrs ago for $200. More than enough sound... My little system usually could be heard down the hall fairly clearly on my dorm floor if turned up past 50% when I was in college. Most of the time I keep the master volume set at about 45% and use the sound card volume controls which have plenty of umph at that setting. However if I had $400, I'd spend a tad more to get a real system... surround sound with good speakers is worth it.

heycarnut

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I use their smaller units on one of my machines, and large units w / subwoofers for the stereo room. Among the best, IMHO.

R

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Ya like i say if you have the room the sonys would be just fine and i guess for $100 it wouldn't matter much cause you can't really go wrong. I wish i had the room I'd sell my kidneys and get a sweet pc system lol

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Has anyone tried the Klipsch 5.1 system?

*SIGHS*

Yes, yes I have. I carry the same pain as N8DOGG; my Klipsch amp has died 3 times. The first two were covered by the warranty but the last time (4 months ago?) I had to shell-out something like $90 for a repair (plus shipping). It infuriated me to be charged for a repair on a design flaw. Why I paid that you ask? well, when the think works it sounds really good. Since I can't get similar sound for $90 I thought that paying for the repair wasn't that bad. I did get a new amp, not the old one repaired.

If you find the Klipsch 5.1 at a good deal it might be worth it but I'd recommend going for either of the other two you pointed before. It's sad that speakers haven't received much attention in a long while.

-Z

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102

These Swan's are supposedly great. Have not heard them myself, but people seem to love them. Good for music too I have heard.
Nice find. That looks like a nice package for the price. Now I'm curious about them... damn you! ;)

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Most speakers made for the computeer sound pretty horrible for music. Your better off going with either some small studio monitors. The Samson Resolv 2.1 active is a great deal at $350, you could then add the surrounds later on. This system will blow away anything from Creative or Logitech.