2000 professional - Not logging in

Venkat

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

Hi,

I use 2000 professional machine is my office which is connected to a 2000
server active directory. For past 2 days some of the 2000 professional
machines have problems to log in. After giving the username and password it
says "loading your personal settings" and takes more time to login. it takes
nearly 30 mins. otherswise the same problem happens when it says "applying
your personal settings" . Then i logged in successfully with the last known
good configuration. If i make any changes in the IP configuration or any
other configuration then the same problem occurs. Then again i have to start
from the Last known good configuration.What might be the problem ? Could any
one suggest me the solutions.

Hi Venkat,
Copy msconfig from a windows xp or windows 2003 machine and run it on this
box. Go to the startup tab and disable all the third party startup items. Go
to services tab and check the hide all microsoft services tab. disable all
the rest of the items that show up. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE HIDE ALL
MICROSOFT SERVICES. Reboot the box and see if you are able to login the
normal mode. In case you are able to do so, do a hit and trial using msconfig
to see which third party item is causing the problem.

What did you last installed on the box? Try disabling the related services
manually from registry. hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\...... Go to
the related service and change the start value to 4 and see if you can boot
up.

If this does not help, try giving administrator and system full control on
the system drive and inherit permissions on all child objects.

Lukesh