GA-965P-DQ6 - recommend good CPU Cooler

Da1e

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
gday fellaz. i am going to be purchasing the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 and i am curious as to what CPU Coolers will fit. i know for a fact that the Zalman 9500/9700 dont work with this board because of the CrazyCool backplate. people are saying you need to cut the corners off or get longer screws, but im not into modding or physically altering hardware stuff.

so im looking for a CPU Cooler that definately fits this board.

im seriously looking at the

ThermalTake Big Typhoon

or the

Gigabyte G-Power

could people post real life experiences with certain coolers. not just "oh i think this will fit"

this board is very popular and the Core 2 Duo's are as well so im sure that ALOT of people have some sort of Custom CPU Cooler

thnx in advance

Da1e

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Here's my .02 centz... hope it helps you some.

A wise man once said to me:
"User the Force" & remember the DISCLAIMER!!!

DISCLAIMER: If someone reading this wishes to OC & test their system using these suggested parameters or suggested hardware described below please do so at your own risk. The suggested parameters or suggested hardware described below are for my specific hardware. I'm not sure if it would work equally for a different system.
I took a chance with the help from the guys hanging out here & I'm still here writing about it on my OC'ed system. I'm only posting my findings to make it easy/easier for noobies like me on OCing. Your welcome.

The Typhoon-V is way better than my old Thermaltake Silent 770.
My E6600 C2D is running stable @ 3.45Ghz with the ThermalTake BIG TYPHOON-V with the variable speed controller @ around 44-46C when idle.
As reference with the stock Retail cooler I was at 52C @ 3.45Ghz when the system was idle.
When I run 3DMark06 the temp goes up to no more than 52C. This temp reading I get is from Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool. These temps are are with two additional 120mm case fans.
I did manage to get it to 3.6Ghz but was a bit nervous about having it run at that all the time. my temps were hovering @ 57C just when it was at an idle state. But it was stable or at leasst it managed to complete 3dMark06 twice with any incidents. Temps were hitting 62C.

pogi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
img1106wk1.jpg

gigaoct25pv9.jpg

giga1tr4.jpg

Da1e

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
good pics pogi but how the hell is your watercooling relevant to what im asking.

read the first post next time kthxbai

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The DQ6 motherboard is made ONLY for use with Intel's STOCK CPU cooler. One other cooler I've tried that uses the same mounting method is Cooler Master's Vortex TX.

Because the Vortex TX doesn't use a support plate, it fits. It doesn't really need a support plate anyway because the cooler is so lightweight.

You can actually fit most coolers to the DQ6 if you simply remove the CrazyCool backplate. Yes, it comes off nicely.

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
The new version of the Big Typhoon (the one with the variabl speed fan) mounts with the clips similar to the stock HSF and requires no backplate.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
You can actually fit most coolers to the DQ6 if you simply remove the CrazyCool backplate. Yes, it comes off nicely.

yeh. then half of ur board heatsinks run loose!

I took mine off. My component-side heatsinks are on just fine. The nylon pins holding the heatsinks on are spring loaded.

Da1e

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006

I took mine off. My component-side heatsinks are on just fine. The nylon pins holding the heatsinks on are spring loaded.

Da1e said:
but im not into modding or physically altering hardware stuff.

reading ftw :lol:

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

Da1e said:

Then go buy a Dell. It sounds like you're in over your head.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
sruane said:

Sruane, I kinda agree with the guy. I didn't want to remove the cooling plate from the bottom of my DQ6 mobo either cuz while talking to tech supp from gigabyte, they did tell me that if I removed or modified the mobo in any way I would be voiding my warranty, so I had to look for an alternative & give up my nice quiet TT Silent 770 HSF which I was using my my previous ASUS P5B mobo. A DELL is not required.

H-A-P-P-Y...N-E-W...Y-E-A-R!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Da1e, I'm not sure you took my recommendation for the clip-mounted Cooler Master Vortex TX seriously. It's a good cooler.

Shit, no wonder you didn't take it seriously, I got model names mixed up:

The model I was actually speaking of is the Hyper TX

Da1e

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Da1e, I'm not sure you took my recommendation for the clip-mounted Cooler Master Vortex TX seriously. It's a good cooler.

****, no wonder you didn't take it seriously, I got model names mixed up:

The model I was actually speaking of is the Hyper TX

thnx man. its good that u include a link when recommending something. it saves the other person time.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
suzukii said:

Sruane, I kinda agree with the guy. I didn't want to remove the cooling plate from the bottom of my DQ6 mobo either cuz while talking to tech supp from gigabyte, they did tell me that if I removed or modified the mobo in any way I would be voiding my warranty, so I had to look for an alternative & give up my nice quiet TT Silent 770 HSF which I was using my my previous ASUS P5B mobo. A DELL is not required.

H-A-P-P-Y...N-E-W...Y-E-A-R!!!

Of course Gigabyte would say that. It is a poor design that makes the board unsuitable for its intended purpose, and the consumer shouldn't have to suffer for Gigabyte's shortsightedness.

.Just put the plate back on if you have to RMA the board

Jaholibop

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I just thought I would chime in. I just built a computer based on the DQ6 and I installed an older version of the Big Typhoon. I had no problem installing it with the crazy cool plate after purchasing screws for $1.35 at Ace Hardware. I believe they are metric and are called M3's. Don't worry about taking off the stupid plate...leave it on and be happy.

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hi,
I'm using the Zalman 9500 without modding the Motherboard at all. You can do one of two things:

1) use slightly longer screws that reach over the top of the cooler on the back & simply fit Zalman's backing plate over the top.

2) Just cut the corners off the Zalman backing plate and use them as the backing as they'll fit next to the cooling plate on the back without a problem.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Mick

mikeytjames

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
so the screws go through the DQ6 backplate?

Have a look at this pic using longer screws & read about it here.

Or you can just cut the corners off that plastic Zalman backing plate and use them with the stock screws. (I did it this way). Here's a paintshop impression of what it looks like done this way. As I said I did it like this & it's stable and solid. I realise the weight distribution is more concentrated on the 4 points, so I suppose if you plan on moving the PC around a bit option 1 is definitely better. But realistically, as long as you don't drop your PC from a few feet off the ground it shouldn't be a problem :)

See ya

Mick

TRENDING THREADS