Sign in with
Your question

starting up problems PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2006 12:03:55 PM

ok ok, so over the last few weeks i have consulted you guys on many aspects of my build, and it is finally here!

coming accrooss certain problems only to be overcame quickly, and all in all the build itself was... smooth. everything is in its place and connected how it should be (i asume).

ok so i ahve an ASUS mobo and reading through the manual i learned of the procedure to start my pc for the very first time.
I turned on the monitor, then the pc, and sure enough, a green LED lights up on my mobo, next stage: wait 30 seconds for some beeping sounds and some eye candy on the screen. this is where the problem is revealed. I have no beeping nor any response on my monitor.

Went to a techy shop this morning asking for adapters to fit my monitor into the mobo itself and i was told that my monitor should load by gfx regardless of the lack of drivers.

This leads me to beleiving it is a psu problem for many reasons: the fans connected to my casing are in noway connected to my mobo, i.e. the power comes on so should they, and they dont. There is obvious power present though due to the green LED however minimal energy that requires.

I really am stumped.

and about 10 minutes ago i found a 4 pin connector similiar to the mobo power cable (with less pins) from the psu to mobo. I thought this was why i was lacking any power and so i connected it up and yet again nothing happened. Do i need to connect this? why are my fans not working? how can i get it to actually DO something?

I know i have rambled for a bit now so thanx for reading, please please help, i am at a total loss.

Luke

More about : starting problems

December 29, 2006 12:10:07 PM

Yes, you need the extra 4-pin connector (basically, plug ALL of the power cables into anywhere they will fit on your motherboard). This may seem like a dumb question, but I had problems when I first got a high end graphics card (a GeForce 6800). The higher end GeForce cards require additional power. Have you plugged that in? (should be on the back of the card; near where the HDD cage will be)
December 29, 2006 12:13:35 PM

the 4 pin connector next to the mobo cable itself has always been on, this connector is off towards the collection of ports.

and as you said about the gfx card, i just had a look and no there is no additional power needed (atleast i cant see where it should go if it did)

thx, any more light to be shed?

appreciated btw lol
Related resources
December 29, 2006 12:17:15 PM

Could you post up what you're using again, please? And do you have any old components you can use?
December 29, 2006 12:18:33 PM

I ahve an old 350w psu but it is very very old, and i ahve many other components wich are like, jurassic.

Ill find my spec in a sec and ill update this post, thx for comment.
December 29, 2006 12:25:49 PM

here we go, my current spec that i am running.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz - Skt775 Fsb1066 4mb Cache Boxed 112706
------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX 113951
2x Corsair (TWIN2X1024A-6400) XMS2-6400 1024MB 5-5-5-12 2x240 DIMM Black XMS2 Heat Spreader 092870
Seagate ST3250820AS 250GB 7200RPM SATA300 8MB Cache 111515
Gecube X1950Pro 256MB VIVO DVI AGP 119300
Antec Basiq Power 500W ATX 12V PSU 114929
2 old optical IDE drives, one DVD/CD-rom, one 20x10x40 CDRW
Old case, should do the job lol, with inbuilt temperature gauge for system, HDD and CPU
-----------------------------------------------------------
December 29, 2006 12:37:10 PM

That PSU should be more than enough. Try unplugging everything that you don't need (excess hard-drives and DVD drives) and see if it boots.
December 29, 2006 12:38:38 PM

this is my first start up so it will boot into bios, if the system boots on the lower psu i guess i get a new psu. cheeers i will try that now, should take like a minute or two so ill post here when im done.
December 29, 2006 12:43:47 PM

Got a digital camera? Post a picture of what cables you've got plugged in where... Someone in another thread did this and it was possible to instantly identify his problem...
December 29, 2006 1:03:38 PM

ok well i tied what you said darkside about the powersupply and no, still no response, so im now running on the steam that my psu is working due to the green led etc.

i have no reconnected my psu to my other components how i think they were before, i will take the pictures now and upload them, should take a matter of moments.
December 29, 2006 1:22:34 PM

ok, uploading as i speak, i shall post the images in this post when they are done, meanwhile ill do the typing:p 

ok basically here is overview of the system

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/938/dsc00025kh4.jpg

here is the connection to the motherboard

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/9849/dsc00026ls5.jpg

the other smaller connection to motherboard

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4059/dsc00027dj0.jpg

the first section of psu with 3 connectors, one to master one to slave and one powering the 2 fans (see second image, from opposite angle)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/553/dsc00029oy1.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4514/dsc00030jm1.jpg
(see the 2 fans in the far casing)

the other section of my power supply with 3 connectors. 1 connector into the gfx card, one into the floppy, and one into the sata to power connector (see second image). this is simply a sata connection feeding off into power wich is then supplied by the same set of connectors as the gfx card and the floppy. ORIENTATION: the far north connection is hidden behind cables and is floppy, the central connection the gfx card and the male-female cable connection leading to hdd ORIENTATION second image: black strip being the gfx card the orange cable being the sata into the back of the hdd.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5857/dsc00031vd2.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/225/dsc00032px8.jpg

all other power supply connectors are not used, these being 1 black 6 pin connector similiar to one used on mobo, and 2 sata looking connectors.

did this shed any light and is my PSU the problem?

thx

note: my mobo manual said something about the jumpers, do i need to worry about this? (they are set on defaults). If i want to use my sata drive for normal use, not raid, does that count as Raid 0? because i may need to set to raid 0. (later in bios i have to select standard IDE mode for hdd wont that counter the point of having sata? or am i mis understanding?)

hope the problem is obvious, sorry for boring ur eyes with such a long post

Luke" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2006 1:42:50 PM

According to my calculations you need 20-22 amps on the 12v rails.
I am not sure you have enough power.
Please check the lable on the power supply.
December 29, 2006 1:45:16 PM

when you say, your calculations?... do you mean that my stuff simply will not run unless i have that power or will simply run at half mast until it gets that power?

no i only have 18A on the 12v rail, how does this affect me?
December 29, 2006 2:01:56 PM

thanks very much, this sounds likely.

however i tried running the system on just mobo and gfx card yet nothing happened? surely i have enough power to run just those two things?

are you sure this is my problem? because if not, by the time i get my new psu i will not be able to return other components in the 7 day period if they do not work either. if this is the issue however it should not matter.

18A-22A does not seem like such a difference to me.

thx very much fro the help. can you explain?

(is there nething rong in my setup aswell (see pictures))

and can anyone answer my jumper and ide/sata question also?
December 29, 2006 2:41:13 PM

please someone. if i get a higher amp psu will it osrt all my problems out?

and if you also know can u answer my jumper and sata/ide question?

EDIT: Antec TruePower Trio 550W PSU - With 3x 12v Rails and 120mm Fan

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2...

will that have the amps and connectors i need?
December 29, 2006 3:06:37 PM

Quote:
the 4 pin connector next to the mobo cable itself has always been on, this connector is off towards the collection of ports.

and as you said about the gfx card, i just had a look and no there is no additional power needed (atleast i cant see where it should go if it did)

thx, any more light to be shed?

appreciated btw lol

No one caught that I guess. ALL X1950Pro cards need extra power via 6pin in. Hook it up.You should have a 6 pin molex from your PS. If not, the card probably came with an 4pin to 6 adapter.
December 29, 2006 3:13:32 PM

omg, mrmr thank you SOOO MUCH, but, i have just realised as apologize severly, that gfx card in my spec is not my gfx card, the spec is quite old:S

i am so so so so sorrry guys for leading you down the rong path on this, i didnt even realise :S

my card is a XFX 7900GT

and i will post my latest spec soon.

with this card will i still need the 22 amps on the 12v rail? if it is none of these issues then what is rong with my system?:S

thx, but i have far to go yet.

well spotted mrmr.
December 29, 2006 3:15:55 PM

Quote:
note: my mobo manual said something about the jumpers, do i need to worry about this? (they are set on defaults). If i want to use my sata drive for normal use, not raid, does that count as Raid 0? because i may need to set to raid 0. (later in bios i have to select standard IDE mode for hdd wont that counter the point of having sata? or am i mis understanding?)

What does it say about the jumpers?

Raid 0 is where two drives are logically seen as one. Data is striped across both drives such that read performance is greatly enhanced. You aren't setting anything to Raid 0.

You want to select "run as IDE" unless you are doing a RAID.

I don't think your PSU is underpowered. It should be able to run that setup. It has more than 18A. I couldn't tell you how much more, because the PSU sticker doesn't say. Well you also said you tried booting without the drives. That should clear up the "underpowered" idea right there.
December 29, 2006 3:18:55 PM

my manual simply says check the jumpers. they are currently on raid 1 - default.

and my psu sticker says it does 18A max on 12v rail.

so if none of this is the probelm what is? can you deduct anything from the images?
December 29, 2006 3:33:29 PM

Quote:
my manual simply says check the jumpers. they are currently on raid 1 - default.

and my psu sticker says it does 18A max on 12v rail.

so if none of this is the probelm what is? can you deduct anything from the images?

Your PSU has two 12v rails, each rated at 18A. Now, that doesn't mean you have 36A (due to how 12V rails work), but it is more than 18A. Maybe like 26A, but that's a guess.

There are many things this could be.. RAM, for instance. Try booting with one stick at a time.
December 29, 2006 3:39:59 PM

hmmm. this is where i start to worry, the mobo online spec says it is compatible with pc2-6400. hence i bought 2x512mb of pc26400. and now the mobo manual mentions nothing of that ram being compatible. well i will try loading with one stick at a time later on, what if one stick is busted? i must then send both bak and replace them? only for my 7 day send-back period to void and other parts be broken and me not be able to replace em?

is tehre nothing else it can be? ( i will try ram in a few minutes and report back)

thx for help
December 29, 2006 4:26:30 PM

ok well i have checked both ram individualy and still nothing. my jumpers are set on RAID 1? is that an issue? i dont understand jumpers..

any other suggestions?
December 29, 2006 4:53:58 PM

I don't know why your mobo is set to do RAID 1. You shouldn't be doing any RAID. I don't think this would be the default option. Was this a refurbished board or brand new? I would set it to no raid (different from "raid 0").. consult your manual.
December 29, 2006 5:01:36 PM

no my mobo is brand spanking new, ill edit that post now, sorry about that.

hmmm looking in my manual i see nothing of no raid, here are the options i have:

under "clear RTC ram" i can set jumpers to default or clear rtc

under "ASUS EZ-backup RAID mode selection" i can set jumpers to raid 0, raid 1 and BIG mode.

later on in the manual it talks of reverting a raid set hdd to a normal hdd, but no jumper settings are metnioned. should i choose BIG?

is this likely to be the problem i have?
December 29, 2006 5:16:06 PM

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4059/dsc00027dj0.jpg

The cable in this picture was not plugged in on the first picture. I guess you've plugged it in now, however. Once when I was building a PC I plugged in this cable upside down! It shouldn't have gone in, but I somehow managed to do that (maybe it wasn't pushed down all the way). Either way, pressing the power button on the machine did nothing. The mobo light was on, as well.

Make sure this cable is connected in the correct direction.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2006 5:22:04 PM

Your power supply has 2 18 amp rails and is powerful enough. If it powers on for a moment and then shuts itself off immediately, I would suspect a bad power supply.
You could test the memory by alternating one stick at a time to see if the situation improves.
Otherwise take the motherboard out and put it on a piece of cardboard with only the processor and power supply hooked up. See if it beeps. Then add memory, see if it beeps. Then add video card and look for a beep and video.
If you are getting no beeps at all with the motherboard down to it's minimum, it's probably a bad motherboard. Look for any burnt signs on the processor also.
December 29, 2006 5:35:08 PM

If the RAM fits into the socket, then it's fine. Even if it's rated at a higher speed than the bus on the motherboard, it will work (just at a lower speed). And, yeah, don't bother with RAID. Are your two IDE drives plugged into the same channel on the mobo?
December 29, 2006 5:41:44 PM

Also, have you connected up the power and reset switches to the mobo (couldn't see it in the pictures)?
December 29, 2006 5:43:17 PM

WOOT, i love you, that wasnty the problem. it is always one of those reeli obvious things eh? i forgot to plug the on off button in:S

thank you all so very much on my first build. sorry for wating ur time but to me it wasnt wasted:p 

THANK SO MUCH:D :D :D :D :D 
December 29, 2006 5:48:30 PM

Well I downloaded your manual off of Asus' website. That RAID jumper is only used when you connect drives to the SATA ports next to your front panel connectors (bottom right of board). From your pictures it looks like you're connected to one of the three above those, which is correct. So you don't need to worry about the RAID jumper.

I just read your post.. **smacks forehead**.. glad it's working :oops: 
December 29, 2006 6:03:49 PM

OMFG!! Hahahahahaha. I was rolling for 5 minutes. That's beautiful. Thank you for that.
I'm NOT in any way laughing at you. I just find it really funny. .I'm so very glad it works. Enjoy your comp. And kudos to all the peeps here. You all did a great job.
December 29, 2006 9:23:53 PM

I can't believe how long that took us all!!! I was looking at one of the pictures and suddenly realised just after Luke did.
Good suggestion with the pictures btw. Should do that more often with these things.
!