error when loading Windows 2000

When loading WIndows 2000 right in the beginning I get an error message that
says "Line ??? of the INF file is invalid Setup cannot continue. Press
any key to exit." The line number changes each time I try to load it. I
know this disk is good as I have loaded it on other machines.
Any thoughts?

install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
follow the prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kevin.raway@lifefitness.com" wrote:
| When loading WIndows 2000 right in the beginning I get an error message
that
| says "Line ??? of the INF file is invalid Setup cannot continue. Press
| any key to exit." The line number changes each time I try to load it. I
| know this disk is good as I have loaded it on other machines.
| Any thoughts?

I was trying to boot from the CD rom when the error occurs. I don't get to
the install before the error stops me. The machine does not boot up all the
way from the CD.

Kevin

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
> from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
> CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
> follow the prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "kevin.raway@lifefitness.com" wrote:
> | When loading WIndows 2000 right in the beginning I get an error message
> that
> | says "Line ??? of the INF file is invalid Setup cannot continue. Press
> | any key to exit." The line number changes each time I try to load it. I
> | know this disk is good as I have loaded it on other machines.
> | Any thoughts?

Possibly set the boot order in cmos setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence.
Also look for the keystroke (if necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom
drive or check your mobo/pc manual for instructions.

FYI if that is a real email address you can expect a plethora of junk/virus
to follow it forever. The harvesters will scavenge it from here and all the
other servers these groups propagate to.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kevin.raway@lifefitness.com" wrote:
|I was trying to boot from the CD rom when the error occurs. I don't get to
| the install before the error stops me. The machine does not boot up all
the
| way from the CD.
|
| Kevin

TRENDING THREADS