Icon display

I go into a shortcut, right-click, choose properties, go to the shortcut
tab, click Change Icon and choose an icon from the list show there. I
now click OK. When I look at the shortcut on my desktop it still shows
the old icon, and when I go back into the shortcut, the old icon is
reset again. This is an application I created, and the old icon was
removed from the application and a new icon added. What is happening
here ? Does Win2k cache old icons and display them even after I have
changed to another one ? How can I get Win2k to show my new icon ?

Edward Diener wrote:
> I go into a shortcut, right-click, choose properties, go to the shortcut
> tab, click Change Icon and choose an icon from the list show there. I
> now click OK. When I look at the shortcut on my desktop it still shows
> the old icon, and when I go back into the shortcut, the old icon is
> reset again. This is an application I created, and the old icon was
> removed from the application and a new icon added. What is happening
> here ? Does Win2k cache old icons and display them even after I have
> changed to another one ? How can I get Win2k to show my new icon ?

I used Tweak UI to rebuild icons and now everything is displaying
properly. I have no idea why icons get messed up the way that they have
on my system.

FYI you don't need tweak for this. Control Panel|Display|Appearance|Advanced
and try changing the icon size by
one, apply changes, then go back in and change the size back. This should
cause the operating system to rebuild the shelliconcache file which may be
in a corrupted state.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Edward Diener <eddielee_no_spam_here@tropicsoft.com> wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> I go into a shortcut, right-click, choose properties, go to the shortcut
>> tab, click Change Icon and choose an icon from the list show there. I
>> now click OK. When I look at the shortcut on my desktop it still shows
>> the old icon, and when I go back into the shortcut, the old icon is
>> reset again. This is an application I created, and the old icon was
>> removed from the application and a new icon added. What is happening
>> here ? Does Win2k cache old icons and display them even after I have
>> changed to another one ? How can I get Win2k to show my new icon ?

> I used Tweak UI to rebuild icons and now everything is displaying
> properly. I have no idea why icons get messed up the way that they have
> on my system.

Win2K does cache icons, so sometimes they will persist beyond the point
where you think they should change. If that's the only problem,
right-clicking on the desktop and clicking "Refresh" will often fix it.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

Dave Patrick wrote:
> FYI you don't need tweak for this. Control Panel|Display|Appearance|Advanced

Huh ? I see no Advance anything here. There are Schemes, Items, and Fonts.

> and try changing the icon size by
> one, apply changes, then go back in and change the size back. This should
> cause the operating system to rebuild the shelliconcache file which may be
> in a corrupted state.

Sorry, try;
Control Panel|Display|Appearance|Item|Icon

--

"Edward Diener" wrote:
| Huh ? I see no Advance anything here. There are Schemes, Items, and Fonts.

A sort of answer I supplied a while ago, Dave you seemed to have picked up
on.

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Mike

Splendid

Actually I have found that wen U change icons, if you do not press apply
after changing each icon, windows systems will resubmit the default icons
back on the screen.

Mike wrote:
> Actually I have found that wen U change icons, if you do not press apply
> after changing each icon, windows systems will resubmit the default icons
> back on the screen.

Thanks, I never thought of that. It is probably what I am doing wrong
when I change the icon.

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Sorry, try;
> Control Panel|Display|Appearance|Item|Icon

OK, I tried changing from 32 to 31 and then back again. Hopefully that
will solve any long term problems. Thanks !

Actually it wasn't necessary. You already used tweak to rebuild
shelliconcache. I was just pointing out another method to do the same thing.