Upgrade to Win7

I have Win 7 64-bit Professional running very well on my i7-920 computer, and am very satisfied with it.

For my other computers, I was looking at this product: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=32-116-775&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=25&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

I read some of the feedback, and one poster stated that the upgrade will work for XP and Vista computers, but not for Vista Business OS.

Does anyone have more information on this? One laptop and one desktop are running on Vista Business OS. By virtue of these being Vista Bus OS, does it preclude them as being used as home personal computers? Is there something in the Vista Bus OS that restricts this?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Solution
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/upgrade-from-vista-business-to-windows-7-home/a974df80-383f-4a6d-b39e-e8bea7b11a54

Here is the Yes answer from Microsoft site

So I can purchase just the Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium, Upgrade Version and just do a custom install? Are the instructions pretty easy to follow? The only upgrade I've ever done is from XP to Vista when I received my laptop (it came with XP installed and they gave me a CD to upgrade to Vista if I wanted to).

Yes, its straightforward, simply boot to your Windows Vista Business desktop, insert the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade DVD, click Install Now. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to...

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
You must have a genuine copy of either Windows XP or Vista running on the machines you wish to upgrade in order to use Family Pack

Processor Required

1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

Memory Required

1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

Hard disk

16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)

Video card

DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or later driver

Other

Additional requirements to use certain features:

Internet access (fees may apply)

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware

For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required

Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware

HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7

DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive

Music and sound require audio output

Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware

Thanks area51!

This is the package that I linked in my question. And I did read the features and feedback. It say Win XP or Vista; no mention of Vista Business. And, one poster stated that computers running Win Vista Business cannot be upgraded. That's why I posted this question here.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Depending on your hardware and your current edition of Windows Vista, you can use the Upgrade option during Windows 7 installation to upgrade from Windows Vista to a corresponding or higher edition of Windows 7. For more information, see Windows 7 system requirements.

Upgrading is the most convenient way to get Windows 7 on your computer, because it keeps your files, settings, and programs from Windows Vista in place.

If your current edition of Windows Vista can't be upgraded to the edition of Windows 7 that you want to use, you can still install Windows 7 by using the Custom installation option instead. However, the Custom option doesn't preserve your files, programs, or settings. For a step-by-step tutorial on how to perform a custom installation, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation).
Make sure that your programs and devices will work with Windows 7

Since your computer is running Windows Vista, it meets the system requirements for Windows 7. We still recommend that you download and run the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage. It helps find potential issues with your computer's hardware, devices, or programs that might affect installing Windows 7, and gives recommendations on what to do.

Also, go to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center on the Microsoft website to see what works with Windows 7 and find direct links to drivers, updates, and downloads.

My OS that I am referring to is "Vista Business".

I know that the upgrade will work for XP or Vista; there is no specific mention of Vista Business. And, I don't like to assume that since the upgrade will work on Vista, it will work on Vista Business.

If the Microsoft site would say "All versions of Vista" I agree; but it does not state that, and one poster cautioned that the upgrade will NOT work on Vista Business (other versions are ok).

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/upgrade-from-vista-business-to-windows-7-home/a974df80-383f-4a6d-b39e-e8bea7b11a54

Here is the Yes answer from Microsoft site

So I can purchase just the Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium, Upgrade Version and just do a custom install? Are the instructions pretty easy to follow? The only upgrade I've ever done is from XP to Vista when I received my laptop (it came with XP installed and they gave me a CD to upgrade to Vista if I wanted to).

Yes, its straightforward, simply boot to your Windows Vista Business desktop, insert the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade DVD, click Install Now. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure.

Solution

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
ignore what they say about you cant do it

they say you cannot upgrade but what you want to do is an install and upgrade migrates your settings

just put disk in then cutom on an upgrade disk then install as normal

if you are doing it on a brand new computer with preveious os installed there is a .reg file work around

install windows as normal then double click reg file, then you can activate windows as normal

pm for details becasue im not sure about the rules on posting links to files

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Frankly, I don't trust upgrades. Generally I think it's better to just get OEM copies and reformat your PC. So much junk piles up over time that it's really just best to do a nice fresh install. Besides you already have all of your files backed up anyway I'm sure :).

Complexity is the enemy.

You have a very good point that most users overlook!

TRENDING THREADS