Xeon vs Opteron...reviews trust em or not....

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
confusing...:(

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2897&p=1
{BIG apple vs small apple vs small old apple}

says ...woodcrest > Clovertown (in terms of scaling)
other than that performance wise clovertown > wood crest > opteron(940 based)

To the financial analysts, CRM, ERP and Java server people, the new quad core Xeon E53xx is close to irresistible. You can get four cores for the price of two, or up to eight (!) cores in a relatively cheap dual socket server. We observed at least a 40% performance increase compared to probably the best dual core CPU of today: the Xeon 5160.

The past 6 months have been excellent for Intel: after regaining the performance crown in the dual socket server market, there is also now a very viable and lowly priced alternative for the more expensive quad Opteron based systems.

AMD Socket-F Opteron vs. Intel Woodcrest

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2892&p=1

close to apples vs apples

All things considered, the Opterons are holding their own and doing very well for an architecture which is 3.5 years old. Only companies that are routinely running their servers near capacity are likely to truly benefit from an upgrade at this point in time.

* Since AMD supplied for previous review so the review was....??

* Or they already favored AMD past..so this time tilting to Intel.....??

* Can i say.... its sssome thing, why AMD supplied last time why not know.. ?? (honestly directed to AMD not to anyone)

* ahahaha which performs better :) ..... ?

---> As always, "read reviews for time pass but dont trust em " ???..... problem is these came from respectable site...

PS: SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST...hard to find how to move from OVERCLOCKING TO normal CPU Discussions....

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
eh the first test was with the 5100 series and the opteron held its ground.

the second test was with the newer 5300 series. Intel bested the Opteron with the exception of scaling due to the old FSB.

I dont see the confusion as their were different apps involved and the performance wont always be the same for every application. It would have been nice to see how it stacked up with the tests from the previous article. But I guess that is to much to ask for.

kiku

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I agree, in last review they have concluded what you said....

eh the first test was with the 5100 series and the opteron held its ground.

But this line gives a different meaning.....

We observed at least a 40% performance increase compared to probably the best dual core CPU of today: the Xeon 5160.

Yes,its a note for me "the apps matters".....

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
you missed something
We observed at least a 40% performance increase compared to probably the best dual core CPU of today: the Xeon 5160.
the numbers were so close in the first test that they are practically even so thats why the author put the word PROBABLY in that line.

You see what you want to see from that quote. It looks like you may have take the quote the wrong way.