use certificates on RRAS server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.certification,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

Hi

Is it possible to use certificates on Win2003 RRAS server (for VPN acces).
We already have CA installed in our local domain (running on a Win2000
Server)
I configured VPN for L2TP/IPSec and we do not want to use pre-shared key, so
that the only way to identify will be through installed certificate.
Can anyone please explain me how to configure RRAS for use with
certificates?

Thanks
Best regards
Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.certification,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

On RRAS server you must create a profile and select under authentication
only EAP methods (Smart Card or other certificate).
On clinets you select under VPN connection properties the security tab,
select Advanced, settings and then select Use EAP.

--
Emanuel Ceciu
MCSE, MCT

"Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> Is it possible to use certificates on Win2003 RRAS server (for VPN acces).
> We already have CA installed in our local domain (running on a Win2000
> Server)
> I configured VPN for L2TP/IPSec and we do not want to use pre-shared key,
> so that the only way to identify will be through installed certificate.
> Can anyone please explain me how to configure RRAS for use with
> certificates?
>
> Thanks
> Best regards
> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.certification,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

Thanks.
Could you please tell me what is the procedure to install certificate on
server?
I looked at our local CA, but I only found for clients to request a
certificate from our local certsrv... nothing for RRAS?
Thanks again
Regards
Miha

"Emanuel Ceciu [MCT]" <emanuel@nospam.ceciu.ro> je napisal v sporoèilo
news:%23oGU8gPZFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl ...

> On RRAS server you must create a profile and select under authentication
> only EAP methods (Smart Card or other certificate).
> On clinets you select under VPN connection properties the security tab,
> select Advanced, settings and then select Use EAP.
>
> --
> Emanuel Ceciu
> MCSE, MCT
>

> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Is it possible to use certificates on Win2003 RRAS server (for VPN
>> acces). We already have CA installed in our local domain (running on a
>> Win2000 Server)
>> I configured VPN for L2TP/IPSec and we do not want to use pre-shared key,
>> so that the only way to identify will be through installed certificate.
>> Can anyone please explain me how to configure RRAS for use with
>> certificates?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Best regards
>> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.certification,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

you can ask for a computer certificate.
on RRAS server start a mmc , add certificates for local computer, right
click on person and then select all tasks request certificate

--

> Thanks.
> Could you please tell me what is the procedure to install certificate on
> server?
> I looked at our local CA, but I only found for clients to request a
> certificate from our local certsrv... nothing for RRAS?
> Thanks again
> Regards
> Miha
>

> "Emanuel Ceciu [MCT]" <emanuel@nospam.ceciu.ro> je napisal v sporoèilo
> news:%23oGU8gPZFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl ...
>>
>> On RRAS server you must create a profile and select under authentication
>> only EAP methods (Smart Card or other certificate).
>> On clinets you select under VPN connection properties the security tab,
>> select Advanced, settings and then select Use EAP.
>>
>> --
>> Emanuel Ceciu
>> MCSE, MCT
>>

>> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use certificates on Win2003 RRAS server (for VPN
>>> acces). We already have CA installed in our local domain (running on a
>>> Win2000 Server)
>>> I configured VPN for L2TP/IPSec and we do not want to use pre-shared
>>> key, so that the only way to identify will be through installed
>>> certificate.
>>> Can anyone please explain me how to configure RRAS for use with
>>> certificates?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Best regards
>>> Miha