fastest quad in 07

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
looking to get a quad core desktop in 2007, fastest possible, if you were/are going to do that, what do you think is gonna be the fastest of 2007 withing the forecasts that AMD and Intel have put out?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
It's most probably the Quad Core K8L, Opteron quad's most likely, AMD won't release anything that wont match or at least exceed the competition; Intel.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I predict AMD in 2S and up servers (pretty much every server area) and a relatively even playing field in the desktop area, possible edges in either direction (depends on how fast Intel increases clock speed, how well AMD increases clock speed on 65nm, lots of variables).

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Speculation will get no one anywhere. We won't know until we see some proof. Best approach is to wait and see. However, my personal opinion is that the Intel native quad-core will be a force to be reckoned with. We've already seen how powerful the Woodcrest is, and it's "just" two dual-cores glues together. Yorkfield, Kentsfield's successor, will be a single-die design, and subsequently much more powerful(theoretically).

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Speculation will get no one anywhere. We won't know until we see some proof. Best approach is to wait and see. However, my personal opinion is that the Intel native quad-core will be a force to be reckoned with. We've already seen how powerful the Woodcrest is, and it's "just" two dual-cores glues together. Yorkfield, Kentsfield's successor, will be a single-die design, and subsequently much more powerful(theoretically).

Simply integrating two dies into one wouldn't garner much improvement all in itself. It's other changes that would actually improve performance.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
As shinigamiX points out - this is all speculation:

In 2007, AMD will be releasing Barcelona, while I don't believe Intel will be releasing a chip with an IMC until 2008. So, to anwer your question, I would say that it will depend on what you're going to be doing with your system.

Intel has the headroom in the C2D µarch to ramp up the speed - but it will eventually run into a fsb barrier with some tasks. I think that if you are going to be running server tasks, AMD's Barcelona may prove to be faster - for general/home use, then Intel will probably be the faster choice.

Again, this is just speculation.

4745454b

Titan
Qualify faster please. Depending on how K8L turns out, it could be a repeat of netburst. Its possible that K8L will do more work then C2D at lower frequencies. (heck, anything is possible seeing as K8L isn't out yet.) Do you mean faster as in clock speed, or faster as in work that can get done?

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
well at this point in time only Intel has a Quad Core out and more coming out (Jan 17th i do belive)

everything about AMD and its Quad Core System (Minus the Quad FX which i think everyone agrees is a waste of money; No offence guys :( ) is complete speculation

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
It's most probably the Quad Core K8L, Opteron quad's most likely, AMD won't release anything that wont match or at least exceed the competition; Intel.

LOL :roll:

Do the opposite of whatever this guy posts.

His statement isn't entirely untrue. AMD really needs Barcelona to be a hit, so they're going to pull out all the stops to beat Intel. That increases the chances that it will be good.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
not to try and hijack but will Barcelona use the same chipse/motherboard the current AM2 chipsets use....im pretty sure its yes but i haven't been following AMD that much since its all quite.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
No, Barcelona is a server chip, so it will be socket F. I wouldn't look at the desktop quadcore release until late in 2007, which will be either an AM2+ or AM3.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
not to try and hijack but will Barcelona use the same chipse/motherboard the current AM2 chipsets use....im pretty sure its yes but i haven't been following AMD that much since its all quite.

It will be compatible with current AM2 boards, yes, but along with its release will be AM2+ boards (notice the plus) that will include HT3.0 (faster HypterTransport links). Honestly, I don't expect the AM2+ boards to have much of a performance increase over an AM2 version with the same "K8L" CPU used as a reference, but we'll have to wait and see.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
It's most probably the Quad Core K8L, Opteron quad's most likely
K8L will be clocked too low to have any theoretical chances against Core2 Quad. Maybe it will be faster, clock for clock, maybe slower, maybe same. But it will not reach Penryn's clock.
AMD won't release anything that wont match or at least exceed the competition; Intel.
WTF are you talking?
They have just released the stupid & expencive space heater, 4x4!

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
heh heh, lots of fun jawin back and forth till then I imagine. In any case, all ya'll hot-dogs should download one of those scientific net computing things and actually put all that big horsepower to work doing something!

:)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
is the 45nm coming out in 2007? I thought it was 2008.

as for defining "faster", yes sorry about that, I should have clarified. faster I mean getting work done, I have a software website and do alot of software testing, like opera, Firefox, and all kinds of different software, from system apps to p2p and fah folding also. so faster I mean perform those tasks better.

BTW what seller do you guys recommend for buying a high-end gaming PC from? some where reliable, I have a business account with Dell (yes hell, but they have kept me satisfied for years) but dell has their own stupid mother boards a do only Intel for xps, so where do you guys recommend?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
looking to get a quad core desktop in 2007, fastest possible, if you were/are going to do that, what do you think is gonna be the fastest of 2007 withing the forecasts that AMD and Intel have put out?
You'll have to wait till the first Barcelona benchmarks come out; until then, you're comparing Core2 numbers vs a ghost architecture. I've been thinking it over for some time but all is a hole in the water till you have apples to compare with apples.
core2 was a miracle, I wish K8L is a miracle too but if you'll buy that PC in 2007, you'll have to wait 2007 and something more to get the best option.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
If you are worried about the 45nm process (like me). Just get a cheap C2D.
With the 45nm process, I expect there will be a new socket B and H. So, you will need the new motherboard, new everything, etc etc.
The K8L will be the fastest for a short time (the K10 might regain the crown again)
I hear about a Yorksfield, I think it will faster than a K8L, but comes after the K8L..
There is also a new bearlake chipset coming in mid 2007.

Here is the plan! (I did a lot of thinking on this)
Buy now: (high end if you hate upgrading, low-end if you plan to upgrade next near)
Wait until 3Q 2007: get the bearlake chipset (X38), then you get the good DDR3 memory and can upgrade 1 generation past the C2D. I guess some early 45nm chips will have a socket 775 version.
Wait until mid 2008: Get the Socket B with the integrated memory controller, get full support for Bloomfield and Nehalem family.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
yes I see you know where I'm coming from.

the problem is I have already been waiting a year, and I don't think I can wait till 45nm

so was thinking about getting one in 2007 then another around end of 2009.

but I'm stuck as what to get in 2007

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Toss a coin. CPUs compete against SW. IF you can run your programs you got your money's worth. this question will undoubtedly cause FLAMES. I haven't read the responses yet but I bet they're rather "colorful"

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
actually everybody has been very nice and informative
36127sq8.gif