Sign in with
Your question

fastest quad in 07

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2006 4:24:20 PM

looking to get a quad core desktop in 2007, fastest possible, if you were/are going to do that, what do you think is gonna be the fastest of 2007 withing the forecasts that AMD and Intel have put out?

More about : fastest quad

December 29, 2006 4:37:36 PM

It's most probably the Quad Core K8L, Opteron quad's most likely, AMD won't release anything that wont match or at least exceed the competition; Intel.
December 29, 2006 4:56:00 PM

I predict AMD in 2S and up servers (pretty much every server area) and a relatively even playing field in the desktop area, possible edges in either direction (depends on how fast Intel increases clock speed, how well AMD increases clock speed on 65nm, lots of variables).
Related resources
December 29, 2006 5:06:59 PM

Speculation will get no one anywhere. We won't know until we see some proof. Best approach is to wait and see. However, my personal opinion is that the Intel native quad-core will be a force to be reckoned with. We've already seen how powerful the Woodcrest is, and it's "just" two dual-cores glues together. Yorkfield, Kentsfield's successor, will be a single-die design, and subsequently much more powerful(theoretically).
December 29, 2006 5:27:09 PM

Quote:
Speculation will get no one anywhere. We won't know until we see some proof. Best approach is to wait and see. However, my personal opinion is that the Intel native quad-core will be a force to be reckoned with. We've already seen how powerful the Woodcrest is, and it's "just" two dual-cores glues together. Yorkfield, Kentsfield's successor, will be a single-die design, and subsequently much more powerful(theoretically).

Simply integrating two dies into one wouldn't garner much improvement all in itself. It's other changes that would actually improve performance.
December 29, 2006 5:51:00 PM

As shinigamiX points out - this is all speculation:

In 2007, AMD will be releasing Barcelona, while I don't believe Intel will be releasing a chip with an IMC until 2008. So, to anwer your question, I would say that it will depend on what you're going to be doing with your system.

Intel has the headroom in the C2D µarch to ramp up the speed - but it will eventually run into a fsb barrier with some tasks. I think that if you are going to be running server tasks, AMD's Barcelona may prove to be faster - for general/home use, then Intel will probably be the faster choice.

Again, this is just speculation.
December 29, 2006 5:52:54 PM

Quote:
It's most probably the Quad Core K8L, Opteron quad's most likely, AMD won't release anything that wont match or at least exceed the competition; Intel.

LOL :roll:

Do the opposite of whatever this guy posts.
December 29, 2006 6:04:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah, for example, Quad FX.
a c 84 à CPUs
December 29, 2006 6:04:58 PM

Qualify faster please. Depending on how K8L turns out, it could be a repeat of netburst. Its possible that K8L will do more work then C2D at lower frequencies. (heck, anything is possible seeing as K8L isn't out yet.) Do you mean faster as in clock speed, or faster as in work that can get done?
December 29, 2006 6:22:04 PM

well at this point in time only Intel has a Quad Core out and more coming out (Jan 17th i do belive)

everything about AMD and its Quad Core System (Minus the Quad FX which i think everyone agrees is a waste of money; No offence guys :(  ) is complete speculation
December 29, 2006 6:26:51 PM

Quote:

LOL :roll:

Do the opposite of whatever this guy posts.

His statement isn't entirely untrue. AMD really needs Barcelona to be a hit, so they're going to pull out all the stops to beat Intel. That increases the chances that it will be good.
December 29, 2006 6:32:05 PM

not to try and hijack but will Barcelona use the same chipse/motherboard the current AM2 chipsets use....im pretty sure its yes but i haven't been following AMD that much since its all quite.
December 29, 2006 6:34:51 PM

No, Barcelona is a server chip, so it will be socket F. I wouldn't look at the desktop quadcore release until late in 2007, which will be either an AM2+ or AM3.
December 29, 2006 6:36:59 PM

Quote:
not to try and hijack but will Barcelona use the same chipse/motherboard the current AM2 chipsets use....im pretty sure its yes but i haven't been following AMD that much since its all quite.

It will be compatible with current AM2 boards, yes, but along with its release will be AM2+ boards (notice the plus) that will include HT3.0 (faster HypterTransport links). Honestly, I don't expect the AM2+ boards to have much of a performance increase over an AM2 version with the same "K8L" CPU used as a reference, but we'll have to wait and see.
December 29, 2006 6:39:00 PM

blah all right, thanks 8)
December 29, 2006 6:47:15 PM

No doubt, it will be Core2 Quad 45nm Penryn.
December 29, 2006 6:51:57 PM

Quote:
It's most probably the Quad Core K8L, Opteron quad's most likely
K8L will be clocked too low to have any theoretical chances against Core2 Quad. Maybe it will be faster, clock for clock, maybe slower, maybe same. But it will not reach Penryn's clock.
Quote:
AMD won't release anything that wont match or at least exceed the competition; Intel.
WTF are you talking?
They have just released the stupid & expencive space heater, 4x4!
December 29, 2006 6:54:32 PM

heh heh, lots of fun jawin back and forth till then I imagine. In any case, all ya'll hot-dogs should download one of those scientific net computing things and actually put all that big horsepower to work doing something!

:) 
December 29, 2006 7:04:12 PM

is the 45nm coming out in 2007? I thought it was 2008.

as for defining "faster", yes sorry about that, I should have clarified. faster I mean getting work done, I have a software website and do alot of software testing, like opera, Firefox, and all kinds of different software, from system apps to p2p and fah folding also. so faster I mean perform those tasks better.

BTW what seller do you guys recommend for buying a high-end gaming PC from? some where reliable, I have a business account with Dell (yes hell, but they have kept me satisfied for years) but dell has their own stupid mother boards a do only Intel for xps, so where do you guys recommend?
December 29, 2006 7:10:45 PM

Quote:
looking to get a quad core desktop in 2007, fastest possible, if you were/are going to do that, what do you think is gonna be the fastest of 2007 withing the forecasts that AMD and Intel have put out?

You'll have to wait till the first Barcelona benchmarks come out; until then, you're comparing Core2 numbers vs a ghost architecture. I've been thinking it over for some time but all is a hole in the water till you have apples to compare with apples.
core2 was a miracle, I wish K8L is a miracle too but if you'll buy that PC in 2007, you'll have to wait 2007 and something more to get the best option.
December 29, 2006 7:41:19 PM

If you are worried about the 45nm process (like me). Just get a cheap C2D.
With the 45nm process, I expect there will be a new socket B and H. So, you will need the new motherboard, new everything, etc etc.
The K8L will be the fastest for a short time (the K10 might regain the crown again)
I hear about a Yorksfield, I think it will faster than a K8L, but comes after the K8L..
There is also a new bearlake chipset coming in mid 2007.

Here is the plan! (I did a lot of thinking on this)
Buy now: (high end if you hate upgrading, low-end if you plan to upgrade next near)
Wait until 3Q 2007: get the bearlake chipset (X38), then you get the good DDR3 memory and can upgrade 1 generation past the C2D. I guess some early 45nm chips will have a socket 775 version.
Wait until mid 2008: Get the Socket B with the integrated memory controller, get full support for Bloomfield and Nehalem family.
December 29, 2006 8:07:53 PM

yes I see you know where I'm coming from.

the problem is I have already been waiting a year, and I don't think I can wait till 45nm

so was thinking about getting one in 2007 then another around end of 2009.

but I'm stuck as what to get in 2007
December 29, 2006 8:25:24 PM

Quote:

Toss a coin. CPUs compete against SW. IF you can run your programs you got your money's worth. this question will undoubtedly cause FLAMES. I haven't read the responses yet but I bet they're rather "colorful"
December 29, 2006 8:43:26 PM

actually everybody has been very nice and informative
December 29, 2006 8:46:49 PM

Quote:
yes I see you know where I'm coming from.

the problem is I have already been waiting a year, and I don't think I can wait till 45nm

so was thinking about getting one in 2007 then another around end of 2009.

but I'm stuck as what to get in 2007

Never wait. Now matter how long you do, there will always be something faster and cheaper around the corner unless the end of the world comes and PC's and the power to run them become fossils.
The most I'd wait for is 2/3 months until something new has settled down, like Vista. AMD's next big thing is K8L, so they might drop prices just after.
December 29, 2006 8:49:25 PM

thx, I am going to wait 3 month however last year with the dual core coming out and knowing that quad was gonna be out in 2007 I had no choice but to wait, shoot my dual core laptop is not even a year old and its already slow
December 29, 2006 8:54:39 PM

What is your current system?
Maybe you can wait a year.

I think you can wait a year if you have at leaset:
P4 3.0 Ghz,
1 gig RAM
7800 GS or x1950 Pro (AGP)
or
7950 GT or X1950 XT (PCIe)
USB 2.0
XP SP2

This system above can curently play anything, including Oblivion HDR. It won't be until late 2007 when games start to require DX10, dual core, 64 bit, etc. for MAX settings.

Sure, I will also love to play Oblivion at 2560x1600 with all MAX settings with a new 8800 GTX while encoding video and burning CDs in VM-ware. I just hang on tight.
December 29, 2006 8:57:22 PM

Quote:
thx, I am going to wait 3 month however last year with the dual core coming out and knowing that quad was gonna be out in 2007 I had no choice but to wait, shoot my dual core laptop is not even a year old and its already slow

hurry and get the first quad-core DX10 notebook, before that gets obsolete!
December 29, 2006 9:04:22 PM

Quote:
What is your current system?
Maybe you can wait a year.

I think you can wait a year if you have at leaset:
P4 3.0 Ghz,
1 gig RAM
7800 GS or x1950 Pro (AGP)
or
7950 GT or X1950 XT (PCIe)
USB 2.0
XP SP2

This system above can curently play anything, including Oblivion HDR. It won't be until late 2007 when games start to require DX10, dual core, 64 bit, etc. for MAX settings.

Sure, I will also love to play Oblivion at 2560x1600 with all MAX settings with a new 8800 GTX while encoding video and burning CDs in VM-ware. I just hang on tight.

current is what I got 2 or 3 years ago,

p4 3.8
4GB DDR2
RADEON X800 XT
and xp pro sp2

but I can't wait anymore lol, I think I got maybe a few more month in me but then that is it

roflmao @ the quad laptop
December 29, 2006 9:21:40 PM

Just upgrade the video card, especially if you have PCIe.
If you have AGP, well too bad. Can't do much better than the X800XT.

I am also burning a big hole through my pants.
December 29, 2006 9:29:42 PM

so what are you thinking about going with? and are you building it yourself or getting it build for you?

I got pci but for my needs (I don't do much gaming) and this pc I think the xt800 is ok
December 29, 2006 9:32:43 PM

if you need a quadcore 1P desktop, you can have it right now. It is Core2 Quad QX6700.
45nm C2Q's will have architectural improvements and will be faster than current C2Q's clock for clock. It is also very possible that those CPUs will come before K8L, although it is irelevant.
December 29, 2006 9:34:16 PM

Quote:
if you need a quadcore desktop, you can have it right now. It is Core2 Quad QX6700.
45nm C2Q's will have architectural improvements and will be faster than current C2Q's clock for clock. It is also very possible that those CPUs will come before K8L, although it is irelevant.

What this guy said. :wink:
December 29, 2006 9:41:24 PM

that is the one I had my eye on but I was wondering if anything faster is gonna be out from now till mid 2007
December 29, 2006 9:53:56 PM

If you have PCIe and don't play high-end games much. I see no reason to worry. Just keep what you have and put out that fire in your pocket.
I do build my own systems from scratch btw.

I would instead focus on things you care about, such as a better hard-drive or a much better PSU -"20+4". (for example)
Finally upgrade the mobo+CPU when your software just can't run well anymore.
December 29, 2006 10:09:32 PM

Quote:

Do you know that the purest quartz crystal balls come from Mt. Ida, Arkansas?
December 29, 2006 10:27:15 PM

Quote:
If you have PCIe and don't play high-end games much. I see no reason to worry. Just keep what you have and put out that fire in your pocket.
I do build my own systems from scratch BTW.

I would instead focus on things you care about, such as a better hard-drive or a much better PSU -"20+4". (for example)
Finally upgrade the mobo+CPU when your software just can't run well anymore.

well everything else is cool I think except for the processor. I got a wd SATA 10,00rpm for the OS (love it), i got over a TB worth of space in 6 HDs total, 3 internal 3 external, DVD±RW, CD±RW, sound card, I just want a quad core that will be able to keep up for a couple of years.

perhaps when I'm ready I can ask you to point me to the right hardware as far as case and stuff goes if that is OK with you, I might want to build this one myself.

@croc, in this case the purest quartz crystal ball comes from a bit knowledge mixed with road maps.

the question was what do you think is going to be, not what is going to be ;) 
December 29, 2006 10:55:59 PM

Well, considering the fact that conroe is not THAT much faster than k8 8O I can see K8l as the fastest Quad in 07. Hope we dont have to wait until htt 3.0
December 29, 2006 11:55:26 PM

Quote:
Well, considering the fact that conroe is not THAT much faster than k8 8O I can see K8l as the fastest Quad in 07. Hope we dont have to wait until htt 3.0

Its funny you say that because the 20% lead C2D enjoys over K8 is probably the biggest between CPU architectures since P2 vs K6-2 in the late 90s. 8O
December 30, 2006 12:17:59 AM

Quote:
...Yorkfield, Kentsfield's successor, will be a single-die design,...

Has it been confirmed?

All I've managed to find so far was speculation.
December 30, 2006 12:24:52 AM

Quote:
is the 45nm coming out in 2007? I thought it was 2008...

No. 45nm is going to be introduced in mid 2007 with Penryn and its desktop and server variants. (They will also be Core 2's)

In 2008 Intel will introduce its new architecture codenamed Nehalem, which will be a 45nm part as well.
December 30, 2006 12:29:26 AM

I don’t get it :? . It is quite clear you know sockets H and B are scheduled for 2008 (along with Nehalem); and you are already worried with 45nm, and changing motherbord? 8O
December 30, 2006 12:31:02 AM

This is hard to say. Quad or not Quad.
The C2D will blow the doors off your P4. At the same time, the future is no doubt Quad code. If you wait for the Yorksfield, this will be superior to the Kentsfield.
Maybe this doesn't help much. My guess is don't bother if your software is running ok.
If you really want a new system, I can help with that,
December 30, 2006 1:34:15 AM

recent tech trends show big improvements in short time, not comparable to the early 90's
December 30, 2006 5:06:43 AM

Quote:

Toss a coin. CPUs compete against SW. IF you can run your programs you got your money's worth. this question will undoubtedly cause FLAMES. I haven't read the responses yet but I bet they're rather "colorful"

Wait -- wait, I was going to say something... but .... can't..... stop lau..... lau..... laughing.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Classic BaronMatrix.

Exactly. I will never change. Only my sig.
December 30, 2006 5:30:35 AM

Quote:

Wait -- wait, I was going to say something... but .... can't..... stop lau..... lau..... laughing.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Classic BaronMatrix.

Exactly. I will never change. Only my sig.

Does this imply a change of CPU plans...?

Please don't respond as I don't really give a rat's a55.
December 30, 2006 8:46:57 AM

Quote:
This is hard to say. Quad or not Quad.
The C2D will blow the doors off your P4. At the same time, the future is no doubt Quad code. If you wait for the Yorksfield, this will be superior to the Kentsfield.
Maybe this doesn't help much. My guess is don't bother if your software is running ok.
If you really want a new system, I can help with that,

well not at all arguingt with you there enewmen about c2d blowing my p4, however it seems for my usage my desktop p4 3.8 is doing faster and able to handle more then my laptop c2d 2.16.

However I'm sure if we run benchmarks you would be 100% correct and the c2d would infact blow away the p4 ;) 

I appreciate you offering your helpl with the new pc, once i'm ready to go I will bug you for sure.

thank you all for your input it has been very helpfull and much appreciated

@enewmen thank you very much boss
!