4x512 or 2x1gb

a_Jhawk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
First off i know that theres already a topic about this, but mine is a little different.
(memory is pc3200)
OK i have an hp a1310n with there standard memory in it. the question is should i buy 2 sticks of 512 to have a total of 2gb, while lossing dual channel because they wont be the same. Or should i just get a dual channel of 2 1gb sticks.

money is somewhat of an issue i have the 250 dollars for 2x1gigs but dont want to spend it.

thanks again for the help

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
If you keep the existing memory in the matching slots & put the new 2x512mb chips in their matching slots you should be able to run dual channel on the mixed sets. Each pair will be matched on different channels so you should be good. You'd want it set up as new chips in slots 0&2 (or 1&3), old chips in slots 1&3 (or 2&4) depending on the mobo numbering, the slots should also prob be matching colors.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
i would be able to run the dual channel with 2 different pairs of memory. OK then sweet.
Be VERY careful in selecting your memory for this. You need to make certain you get memory that is suited to be run in OEM systems due to the limitations of the bios. Also, it is possible that you can mix memory types that will not run together due to IC or other conflicts. So, your safest option is to buy a 2 x 1gb kit of memory.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
quantumsheep said:
your safest option is to buy a 2 x 1gb kit of memory.

It's not really any safer as mixing 2 different types of RAM is not at all likely to cause a problem. Make sure both different types are in the right slots.I see dozens of examples monthly where this IS a problem. Also, most MOBO makers give specific warnings about this in their manuals and memory specifications.

I'd say the chances are better than 50% that mixing 2 similiar types of memory will work. However, if it does not, then a person is stuck with 1 set of memory they cant' use. So, saying it is not at all likley is not accurate. A pretested 2gb kit IS the safer option as opposed to mixing and hoping.

Mondoman

Splendid
....It's not really any safer as mixing 2 different types of RAM is not at all likely to cause a problem. ....
This is more likely to be true for the mature DDR market than the immature DDR2 market. It is also more likely to be true for quality name-brand RAM rather than generic (or even some "value") RAM.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
....It's not really any safer as mixing 2 different types of RAM is not at all likely to cause a problem. ....
This is more likely to be true for the mature DDR market than the immature DDR2 market. It is also more likely to be true for quality name-brand RAM rather than generic (or even some "value") RAM.

I was just using my experiences as a reference point. I have mixed types of RAM at least 10 times in the last 5 years or so and never has it given me a problem! But then again i could just be lucky.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

I was just using my experiences as a reference point. I have mixed types of RAM at least 10 times in the last 5 years or so and never has it given me a problem! But then again i could just be lucky.Personally, I have only had 1 combination of memory that would not work and it was in the DDR days. However, before working at Corsair, after starting here, and surfing the HUGE amount of posts I see over approximately 12-15 forums, I see frequent examples of situations with users that have an IC conflict and cannot mix DIMMs.

The main reason I post advising against it is "IF" an user buys our memory and/or takes my advice favoring mixing ICs, then it does not work, who is responsible? I can just hear it now. "The Corsair guy said ........and I spent $300 based on his advice........blah blah blah. I just don't want to go there.

Also, I have seen situations where one brand of board would mix 2 ICs and another brand based on the same chipset would not mix them (due to bios I guess???). It is simply too hit n miss to responsibly be handing out advice to mix IMO.

I'm not saying any of you that favor mixing ICs are doing anything "wrong" per se. But, it is risky for both the advisor and the consumer which is why I stay away from it.

Mondoman

Splendid
Thanks for explaining your policy, XMS. In your position, it sounds like a reasonable approach. In fairness to quantum (with whom I mostly agree on this issue) the reports you see are selected for people having trouble with their systems and so are not a reasonable measure of people's experiences in general, just as the motherboard forums might suggest problem rates on the order of 50%. :)

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Yeah, it's easy to forget that most threads in forums start with an issue. And, there is no way to tell how many times people succesfully do mix ICs. But, working for Corsair or not, I'd hate to tell someone to do it and them have issues. One good thing these days, most good OCing DDR2 memory is Micron so the ICs are the same or similiar. As long as the bios can handle the different SPDs etc a person has a good chance.

As a test, I may mix some of our Promos and Micron DIMMs and see what happens.

demonicone

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
i had 2x512 kingmax mars ddr2 800 , bought another pair of the same kingmax f-ing mars ddr2 800.now i have 4x512 IDENTICAL Kingmax mars ddr2 800
my system wont boot.i was so f-ing positive it was gonna work and it just dont.Anyway my mobo is an abit an9 32x fatal1ty.i was gonna change command rate to 2T, but my system unly runs at that even with 2 sticks.
f* that.what else should i set in bios to make this piece of c*p work?
maybe i should get a pair of noname bull*t and it will just work fine.
help me!!!i aint gon thro out a dime on this piece of shit.