Reinstall of Windows 2000

I would like to reinstall Windows 2000 (or at least portions of it) on one
machine without reformatting the drive.

Question 1: Is there a way to read from the registry the "key" that I used
for the Windows 2000 CD? I have several machines (and several CDs) and
would like to use the CD that matches the machine.

Question 2: How do I go about attempting to reload part of the operating
system, without reformatting the drive?

--
Bruce E. Breeding
Bruce@InfoTechAccounting.com

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:e3BUO8VZFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Bruce E. Breeding <bebl.it@infotechaccounting.com> had this to say:

> I would like to reinstall Windows 2000 (or at least portions of it)
> on one machine without reformatting the drive.
>
> Question 1: Is there a way to read from the registry the "key" that
> I used for the Windows 2000 CD? I have several machines (and several
> CDs) and would like to use the CD that matches the machine.
>
> Question 2: How do I go about attempting to reload part of the
> operating system, without reformatting the drive?

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/windows2000/Repair/index.htm

And...

Quickly Retrieve Windows CD Key:
http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Don't do it. You will get a slew of new user profiles and you'll have a mess. You can live with it but it's not pretty.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Bruce E. Breeding" <bebl.it@infotechaccounting.com> wrote in message news:e3BUO8VZFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I would like to reinstall Windows 2000 (or at least portions of it) on one
> machine without reformatting the drive.
>
> Question 1: Is there a way to read from the registry the "key" that I used
> for the Windows 2000 CD? I have several machines (and several CDs) and
> would like to use the CD that matches the machine.
>
> Question 2: How do I go about attempting to reload part of the operating
> system, without reformatting the drive?
>
> --
> Bruce E. Breeding
> Bruce@InfoTechAccounting.com
> PO Box 867238
> Plano, TX 75086-7238
> 972.208.9162
> FAX 972.491.1897

Boot from the 2000 cd and try a "repair" first. If that doesn't do it to
your liking, you can try doing an "upgrade", which "should" use your
existing registry...