How Do You Force Windows 2000 SP4 to Re-install

I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt. I
want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4 setup is
saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files. How
can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of the
system's supposed status?

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    Hi,

    One way is to use System File Check
    Start
    Run...
    <type> SFC /scannow
    (will need your CD)
    afterward reinstall your SP4
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/default.asp
    Then reinstall your hotpatches

    don

    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt.
    want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4
    setup is
    saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files.
    How
    can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of
    the
    system's supposed status?

    --
    Will
    Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    I already did that sequence, and at the point I try to re-install SP4 I get
    the message it is already installed.

    My question was how do I force it to re-install, even if it thinks it is
    already installed?

    --

    "dc" <dcdon@mail2.com> wrote in message
    > One way is to use System File Check
    > Start
    > Run...
    > <type> SFC /scannow
    > (will need your CD)
    > afterward reinstall your SP4
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/default.asp
    > Then reinstall your hotpatches
    >
    > don

    Choose the network download.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Will wrote:
    > I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt. I
    > want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4 setup is
    > saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files. How
    > can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of the
    > system's supposed status?

    Why can't you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and
    uninstall SP4? I've done that before and it worked when trouble shooting
    problem workstations.

    The CD version of SP4 does not appear to put any item into the Add/Remove
    Programs list.

    --

    "lee" <lth@invalid.net> wrote in message
    > Will wrote:
    > > I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt.
    > > want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4
    setup is
    > > saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files.
    How
    > > can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of
    the
    > > system's supposed status?
    > >

    > Why can't you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and
    > uninstall SP4? I've done that before and it worked when trouble shooting
    > problem workstations.

    This may help:

    Service Pack 4 Permits You to Remove the Service Pack by Using the Recovery
    Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825062

    > The CD version of SP4 does not appear to put any item into the Add/Remove
    > Programs list.
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com
    >

    > "lee" <lth@invalid.net> wrote in message
    > > Will wrote:
    > > > I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt.
    > > > want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4
    > setup is
    > > > saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files.
    > How
    > > > can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of
    > the
    > > > system's supposed status?
    > > >

    > > Why can't you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and
    > > uninstall SP4? I've done that before and it worked when trouble shooting
    > > problem workstations.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    That's weird. If SP4 was installed it should install again. You got something else going on.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message news:ORyf5jXZFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt. I
    > want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4 setup is
    > saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files. How
    > can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of the
    > system's supposed status?
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    You chose not to back up the system before installing SP4. You would have to do that (and lose a lot of space) to have SP4 in Add\Remove.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message news:NaGdnT7wfct7zADfRVn-jQ@giganews.com...
    > The CD version of SP4 does not appear to put any item into the Add/Remove
    > Programs list.
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com
    >

    > "lee" <lth@invalid.net> wrote in message
    > > Will wrote:
    > > > I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt.
    > > > want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4
    > setup is
    > > > saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files.
    > How
    > > > can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of
    > the
    > > > system's supposed status?
    > > >

    > > Why can't you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and
    > > uninstall SP4? I've done that before and it worked when trouble shooting
    > > problem workstations.

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows