How Do You Force Windows 2000 SP4 to Re-install

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 30, 2005 9:38:03 PM

I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt. I
want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4 setup is
saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files. How
can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of the
system's supposed status?

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

More about : force windows 2000 sp4 install

May 31, 2005 5:12:04 AM

Hi,

One way is to use System File Check
Start
Run...
<type> SFC /scannow
(will need your CD)
afterward reinstall your SP4
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicep...
Then reinstall your hotpatches

don

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
news:o Ryf5jXZFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt.
want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4
setup is
saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files.
How
can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of
the
system's supposed status?

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:12:05 AM

I already did that sequence, and at the point I try to re-install SP4 I get
the message it is already installed.

My question was how do I force it to re-install, even if it thinks it is
already installed?

--

"dc" <dcdon@mail2.com> wrote in message
> One way is to use System File Check
> Start
> Run...
> <type> SFC /scannow
> (will need your CD)
> afterward reinstall your SP4
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicep...
> Then reinstall your hotpatches
>
> don
May 31, 2005 10:54:17 AM

Choose the network download.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicep...

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Will" wrote:
|I already did that sequence, and at the point I try to re-install SP4 I get
| the message it is already installed.
|
| My question was how do I force it to re-install, even if it thinks it is
| already installed?
|
| --
| Will
| Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com
|

| "dc" <dcdon@mail2.com> wrote in message
| > One way is to use System File Check
| > Start
| > Run...
| > <type> SFC /scannow
| > (will need your CD)
| > afterward reinstall your SP4
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicep...
| > Then reinstall your hotpatches
| >
| > don

May 31, 2005 2:16:51 PM

Will wrote:
> I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt. I
> want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4 setup is
> saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files. How
> can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of the
> system's supposed status?

Why can't you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and
uninstall SP4? I've done that before and it worked when trouble shooting
problem workstations.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:13:02 AM

The CD version of SP4 does not appear to put any item into the Add/Remove
Programs list.

--

"lee" <lth@invalid.net> wrote in message
> Will wrote:
> > I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt.
> > want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4
setup is
> > saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files.
How
> > can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of
the
> > system's supposed status?
> >

> Why can't you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and
> uninstall SP4? I've done that before and it worked when trouble shooting
> problem workstations.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:17:26 AM

This may help:

Service Pack 4 Permits You to Remove the Service Pack by Using the Recovery
Console
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825062

> The CD version of SP4 does not appear to put any item into the Add/Remove
> Programs list.
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com
>

> "lee" <lth@invalid.net> wrote in message
> > Will wrote:
> > > I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt.
> > > want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4
> setup is
> > > saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files.
> How
> > > can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of
> the
> > > system's supposed status?
> > >

> > Why can't you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and
> > uninstall SP4? I've done that before and it worked when trouble shooting
> > problem workstations.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:54:38 AM

That's weird. If SP4 was installed it should install again. You got something else going on.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message news:o Ryf5jXZFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I have a server on which many of the System32 DLLs have become corrupt. I
> want to re-install SP4 to get back to a known baseline, but the SP4 setup is
> saying it is already installed and quits without copying over files. How
> can I force the SP4 install to copy over all of its files in spite of the
> system's supposed status?
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:56:11 AM

You chose not to back up the system before installing SP4. You would have to do that (and lose a lot of space) to have SP4 in Add\Remove.

--
George Hester

!