Problems with GA-965P-DQ6 (rev. 2.0) F8 Bios

f_donald

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Has anyone experienced problem with the GA-965P-DQ6 F8 Bios revision?

I experienced a number of hard drive read/write errors in Win XP immediately after rebooting from the F8 flash; within a few seconds I got a blue screen and reboot. I was unable to load Windows again and when I attempted to recover an image using Norton Ghost or copy files in the recover environment, I received HD read and image integrity errors. I dubpliacted the above with a new Bios download/floppy flash and inevitably reverted back to F7; I recovered from the above noted image file and everything works properly again.

Can anyone identify changes in the F8 bios that would cause the above problem? My system drives are two 150 raptors in a RAID 0 and I was recovering the image from single drive, both on the ICH8R (not sure if this matters)

Thanks...

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I had problems with the F8 BIOS too. They did something to the way it handles the FSB so I can't change the default setting without it failing to POST. I can't overclock with the F8 BIOS at all, but could with the F7.

olhado

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
I had similiar problem with F7 BIOS update on my DS-4 board (F7 on DS4 is probably equal to F8 on DQ6).
My computer keep rebooting when loading windows or soon after. I also got some hdd errors (some data got corrupted).

Happily I reverted BIOS to F6, run scandisk and now everythinh works OK. I have no idea what could be the cause of this. I tried different BIOS setting on F7 but nothing helped - it was totaly unstable.
Every previous BIOSes were also OK. I used F7E also and it was no problem with it...

I have no RAID so probably it's not about RAID.

My system:
MB Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (C1 rev. 1.0)
HDD SAMSUNG 250GB SATA II SP2504C
VGA Gigabyte NX76T 7600GT
Geil Ultra (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz DDR2
DVD-RW Pioneer DVR111
Audio SB Audigy 2
Tagan 380W U01

OS WinXP Home SP2 with all updates.