inaccessible_boot_device error and CHKDSK

I receive the stop error code 0x0000007B (0X88C475E8, 0XC0000010, 0X00000000,
0X00000000) when starting Windows 2000 Server. I cannot log into Recovery
Console as it doesn't locate the OS. And safe mode also blue screens after
changes to hardware or software prior to this error. Hardware all seems fine
(have run numerous diagnostics with Dell). I am now running chkdsk /f and it
is taking a very long time. It is in the recovering lost files phase
currently, and has been running for 2 hours. 36 GB hard drive...any
suggestions? Is this the usual run time for chkdsk?
4 answers Last reply
More about inaccessible_boot_device error chkdsk

    Kari,

    Determining how long chkdsk will run is quite a task. Though, seem like
    it's been running for some time. The following link include information on
    chkdsk about how long it should run. This may be helpful.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_fbcw.asp

    For information and troubleshooting on the initial stop 7b error, take a
    look at the information in the following link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822052

    I hope this is helpful
    JM

    "kari" wrote:

    > I receive the stop error code 0x0000007B (0X88C475E8, 0XC0000010, 0X00000000,
    > 0X00000000) when starting Windows 2000 Server. I cannot log into Recovery
    > Console as it doesn't locate the OS. And safe mode also blue screens after
    > changes to hardware or software prior to this error. Hardware all seems fine
    > (have run numerous diagnostics with Dell). I am now running chkdsk /f and it
    > is taking a very long time. It is in the recovering lost files phase
    > currently, and has been running for 2 hours. 36 GB hard drive...any
    > suggestions? Is this the usual run time for chkdsk?

    thanks, but have read both articles. Regarding chkdsk, it has been at:

    CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
    Recovering orphaned file DhcpCfg <207> into directory file 6919

    with a blinking cursor on the next line, for all of this time. Is there a
    log file or something I can look at to see if it is actually still running?

    "kari" <kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I receive the stop error code 0x0000007B (0X88C475E8, 0XC0000010,
    0X00000000,
    > 0X00000000) when starting Windows 2000 Server. I cannot log into Recovery
    > Console as it doesn't locate the OS. And safe mode also blue screens
    after
    > changes to hardware or software prior to this error. Hardware all seems
    fine
    > (have run numerous diagnostics with Dell). I am now running chkdsk /f and
    it
    > is taking a very long time. It is in the recovering lost files phase
    > currently, and has been running for 2 hours. 36 GB hard drive...any
    > suggestions? Is this the usual run time for chkdsk?

    Depending on the switches you use for chkdsk, it can easily run for
    8 or 12 hours.

    Hi Kari,
    i have seen chkdsk running for even 2 days but it is always recommended to
    keep it running and never abort it. Following is the reason for time taken by
    chkdsk to run.

    How Long Will Chkdsk Take to Run?
    There is no magic formula that can tell you how long Chkdsk will take to
    run. Running Chkdsk can take anywhere from a few seconds to several days,
    depending on your specific situation.
    Chkdsk also makes many specific checks during each of its passes and several
    quick checks between passes. The following list describes the variables that
    also affect the length of time that Chkdsk takes to run.
    Variable 1: The “Indexes� Phase
    During the first phase (checking files) and the third phase (checking
    security descriptors), the progress of the “percent completed� indicator is
    relatively smooth. Unused file record segments do require less time to
    process, and large security descriptors do take more time to process, but
    overall the “percent completed� is a fairly accurate reflection of the actual
    time that the phase requires. The second phase (checking indexes) is the one
    that typically takes the longest to run.
    Variable 2: The Condition of the Volume
    The condition of a volume plays a role in how long Chkdsk takes to run. If
    there were a formula for predicting the time that it takes to run Chkdsk on a
    particular volume, it would include such variables as the number of files and
    folders, the degree of fragmentation of the volume and of the MFT in
    particular, the format of file names (long names, 8.3-formatted names, or a
    mixture), the number of bad sectors on the disk, and the amount of actual
    corruption that Chkdsk must repair. All else being equal, Chkdsk times
    typically increase linearly with respect to the total number of files and
    folders on a volume.
    Variable 3: Hardware Issues
    Hardware issues also affect how long it takes for Chkdsk to run. The
    variables include the available memory, CPU speed, I/O throughput (fibre
    channel or Small Computer System Interface [SCSI]), disk RPM speed, and
    others.
    Variable 4: The Chkdsk Settings
    If you use the /r command-line switch, Chkdsk has to read and verify every
    sector on the volume, which adds significantly to the time that it takes for
    large volumes.
    If you do not use the /r option, the biggest time issue on a particular
    hardware platform is the number of files and folders that are on the volume,
    instead of the absolute size of the volume. For example, a 50-GB volume that
    has only one or two large database files might take only seconds for Chkdsk
    to run. On the other hand, running Chkdsk on even a relatively small volume
    might require hours if the volume has hundreds of thousands or even millions
    of small files — regardless of whether you specify the /r option.

    Lukesh
    "kari" wrote:

    > I receive the stop error code 0x0000007B (0X88C475E8, 0XC0000010, 0X00000000,
    > 0X00000000) when starting Windows 2000 Server. I cannot log into Recovery
    > Console as it doesn't locate the OS. And safe mode also blue screens after
    > changes to hardware or software prior to this error. Hardware all seems fine
    > (have run numerous diagnostics with Dell). I am now running chkdsk /f and it
    > is taking a very long time. It is in the recovering lost files phase
    > currently, and has been running for 2 hours. 36 GB hard drive...any
    > suggestions? Is this the usual run time for chkdsk?

Chkdsk Windows