Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Do It Yourself
  • CPUs
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
December 29, 2006 5:33:37 PM

I have just finished the final touches on my first DIY build, but I have one problem: The CPU or mobo didn't come with a heatsink or CPU fan of any kind. I thought intel gave them out w/ the processors but mine didn't have a thing and now I'm stuck with a computer lacking any sort of CPU cooling. I'd like to avoid ordering it online-it would be nice to head over to a store and pick it up right now. I have an E6600, an ECS P965A-T mobo, and a coolermaster centurion. The price limit is about $15. Thanks

More about : quick heatsink fan

December 29, 2006 6:05:26 PM

Best heatsink on the market now

Zalman CNPS9700 LED

go for it if your case is spacious enough
December 29, 2006 6:25:22 PM

He said his budget is $15.

For $15 all you're going to get is used. Screw lunch next week and get the salesguy at the computer store nearest you to sell you something "just as good" for $25.
Related resources
December 29, 2006 6:35:46 PM

Sorry, I think I skipped that part :p 

Well is true, you are not going to get anything with $15. I think you can get some brand ones for $20 in TigerDirect but you will have to add to that shipping prices and tax (if applicable)

$25 is the price to start with
December 30, 2006 1:14:17 AM

Sorry I'm a little uneducated in this area. What is "stock cooling"?
December 30, 2006 1:39:11 AM

My E6600 came in a tiny plastic case with nothing but a processor inside. I checked out some coolers, and this one stood out more than the one you mentioned: Here

What do you think?
December 30, 2006 1:49:21 AM

Would you still recommend the masscool fan over the Asus? I would save a few bucks but the reviews (which I don't always trust) are better for the Asus. The specs say the masscool is better.
December 30, 2006 1:49:30 AM

If all you need is a heatsink, then go for it. Just dont expect the best cooling perfomance just because is an after-market heatsink.
December 30, 2006 1:52:29 AM

Wait a minute my mobo manual says the CPU fan power connector is 4 pin. Does that rule out the masscool?
December 30, 2006 1:56:15 AM

Quote:
NO. That cooler also has 4 pin.

The newegg specs say otherwise. Check your link. It says 3 pin for the Masscool.
December 30, 2006 2:11:35 AM

Go for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro, available for around $20 online, and $25 locally.

Small, cools as well as a $50 unit, and will allow you to overclock if you wish.

Quiet to boot, those others listed are gonna be buzzy.
December 30, 2006 2:17:07 AM

The fan Mpilchfamily will suit you just fine and dont wory about the three pin connector.
its actually not that bad of a hsf
December 30, 2006 2:21:40 AM

Quote:
Go for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro, available for around $20 online, and $25 locally.

Small, cools as well as a $50 unit, and will allow you to overclock if you wish.

Quiet to boot, those others listed are gonna be buzzy.

If I desire to overclock in the future I'll buy a more expensive cooler. But for now I need to stick with a tight budget. Plus its 29.99 on newegg w/$5 shipping which isnt cheap for me.
December 30, 2006 4:33:56 PM

Don't forget that you still need thermal compound; all of the reccomendations here don't come with grease. This Masscool hsf is the cheapest one on newegg that includes thermal compound at $11. It doesn't have a 4 pin connector, but you don't really need 4 pins. If you just plug it in it will run at full speed all of the time (and still be 10db quieter than the stock intel fan) or you can run freeware like speedfan in windows to control fan speed.
December 30, 2006 5:04:42 PM

Yeah thanks for the help guys I got the masscool yesterday. Finally I can finish my computer!
!