Antec Nine Hundred .VS. Antec P180

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Antec
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
December 29, 2006 5:38:00 PM

I doubt i will get them but HEY, i just might.. plus many ppl have been asking the same qn so i'm 'helping' them

More about : antec hundred antec p180

December 29, 2006 6:43:20 PM

I personally use the Antec P180 for my case right now. It is probably one of the coolest looking, not to mention functional, cases I have ever owned.

Overall I love it, there are a few things that get on my nerves however. The case itself is made of cold rolled steel, but the side panels, housing, door, are made out of a heavy plastic. It seems to be durable enough but it can be a pain in the ass to get the sides on and off properly sometimes and i am concerned about the front door warping (not to the point where it wont close...just not be 100% flush).

The second thing is the location of the power supply. It was frustrating trying to wire non-modular cabling through the just-wide-enough-for-the-cables opening. You will also want to be careful on which mobo you put in it as if the 20/4 pin connecter is in the top right corner, you may have trouble reaching it. I'm not so worried about the heat rising as the bottom module of the case serves as a duct channeling the warm air out.

Other than those gripes its a phenomenal case and truly stands out and I have received many compliments on its aesthetics.

Hope this helps.
December 29, 2006 6:45:23 PM

well i have the antec 900 and holy @%^ did my temps drop with 4 120 mm fans and 1 200 MM FAN!! i love this case its cool looking with bright blue led lights to illuminate the fans. this case is everything i wanted and more. just my 2 cents...
Related resources
December 30, 2006 2:22:14 PM

how much did ur temp drop on the 900?
December 30, 2006 11:57:25 PM

i was thinking about the 900 aswell, could you let us know how much your temps dropped ?
December 31, 2006 4:11:09 AM

thanks for the post NewbieTechGodII i've heard a few people say that the 900 is a pain to work on, might look around a bit more before buying :?
December 31, 2006 6:23:27 AM

WTF MATE?!?!?

i have the antec 900 and it pwns. its extremely easy to work in. i dont know what size hands/fingers you have but i have problem. NewbieTechGodII is completely wrong just so all you know. my antec 900 dropped my temps about 7c's.
December 31, 2006 9:40:50 AM

lol, there seems to be alot of different opinions about this case :D 
December 31, 2006 11:13:42 AM

Quote:
STAY AWAY FROM THE ANTEC 900!

That's BS !

I have the 900 case i had the Lian Li PC65 case before. In my Lian Li case my arirflow was so bad i had to run it with the side of the case off and my temperatures were about 10C higher than in the 900.
I have a dual core AMD CPU and the 8800GTX video card. My video card was idling at 60-65C in the 900 case it is idling at 50-55C. The case looks awesome too. I didn't have to modify anything on it to get it running. I have 3 HDD in the case too. I also have the Enermax Liberty PSU modular and i did not have any problems with the cabling like some other guys complaining about it.

I love this case it kicks ass. Look around on the web for reviews there are plenty of them. If what NewbieTechGodII is saying is true than all the reviews about the case would be bad too, but i could not find too many bad reviews about the case. Pretty much all the reviewers love the case.

To me it was recommended by my friends at the computer repair shop where i get my components from. They said it is a rock solid case for people with heating issues with high end PCs.

That's just my opinion. It is an awesome case. P180 is nice case too but the 900 is way better. :wink:
December 31, 2006 11:52:39 AM

I like the Antec P180 just cause you can lock the front panel closed so only you can turn it on. :) 
December 31, 2006 2:58:39 PM

between the 2, which case is the quietest? and which is the best cooler?
December 31, 2006 6:37:44 PM

Quote:
between the 2, which case is the quietest? and which is the best cooler?

I don't know much about the P180 but i know the 900 is very quiet. The loudest thing is my hard drive inside and my DVD ROM when it spins up.
As i mentioned before as far as airflow goes this case kicks ass.

I think they used some new technique with the P180 by combining plastic and steel to make it quiet, but i have never had that case so i am not sure how well that works compared to the 900.

Just get the 900 :) 
December 31, 2006 10:48:35 PM

hey krisz, which PSU do you use? i want to buy the HiperPower Type-R but i have been told the p4 connector is too short to be connected :( 
December 31, 2006 10:55:04 PM

I just got an Antec nine hundred about 2 hours ago. Really top notch stuff. I can't imagine cutting into such a beautiful case (of course I'm coming from an HP proprietary case :x ). I'm not sure why they put the Power supply bay in the bottom (maybe to stay out of the 200mm fan's way or maybe so tht the hot air will rise and be blown out of the case by the 120mm fan in the back. There's tons of room compared to my old case too and you'll be able to fit an 8800GTX in there if you remove the optional fan bracket.
December 31, 2006 10:57:59 PM

Quote:
you'll be able to fit an 8800GTX in there if you remove the optional fan bracket.

Thats is all i had to do, to fit my GTX
December 31, 2006 11:53:36 PM

which PSU have do you have Valtiel? im confused over which PSU to buy because of the PSU Bay located at the bottom :(  any advice would be much appreciated, thanx
January 1, 2007 2:35:58 AM

I do not have a PSU yet. But I'm either looking at an OCZ GameXtreme or a Thermaltake Toughpower modular. I'm trying to decide whether I want modular or not and im also looking for the lowest priced tier 2 PSU (as of mpilch's sig)
January 1, 2007 10:16:17 AM

what are the advantages and disadvantages of a modular power supply?
January 1, 2007 10:35:57 AM

Quote:
what are the advantages and disadvantages of a modular power supply?

The only disadvantage they brought up for the modular PSU is the power fluctuation, but it was so minimal it does not even matter. Ones you have a PSU in mind i would recommend to google it to see some reviews then you will have some idea. Thats what i did. Or just ask here on this forum and people will tel you what they think.

As for modular or not. I would definitely go with the modular PSU, so you don't have to worry about billions of cables hanging around that you don't use, because you can just disconnect them.
January 1, 2007 12:13:03 PM

CompUSA had a monster of a sale on this case and I was ready to buy but decided to read some reviews first. I read so many just like the one below on a variety of forums that I decided to bail. Like the review below, many were written by knowledgable system builders with many of the same complaints. I was planning a system that would have had an optical, a front panel I/O, a fan controller and three HDs. I was not confident that I could fit this stuff (which ain't that much) into this case without big problems. Mind you, I enjoy modding and have worn out a handful of Dremels over the years, but I typically mod because I want to add some feature, not just to get baseline performance. So instead I got another Lian Li (3 this year and happy with all of them) and had another enjoyable build.

Quote:
STAY AWAY FROM THE ANTEC 900!

I apologize for shouting, but that's how bad it is. It might an excellant case for cooling your hardware, but it is the first case I have seen in which it was necessary to mod it before it would work!

I just built the following system: EVGA 680i, E6300, PC2-8500 (2GB), 8800GTS, X-fi (with the front break-out box), 3x WD 2500YS HDDs, 1x PX-755SA, Mitsumi floppy/memory card reader, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad.

In order to build the damned thing, I had to cut several holes in the motherboard tray! Then the 3.5 drive adapter will give you grief (hint- if you fully screw it in, you're looking at 10 screws to hold the caddy, the front cover, AND the drive itself! Each drive cage (fully screwed), is held in with 8 thumbscrews!

The 24-pin power connector on the MB is at the upper right, meaning no drives up there. The 8-pin CPU power connecter is in the upper left, and since the power cable is too short to run behind the motherboard tray, it has to run over the PCI cards (that's a problem with the power supply though, but to be fair, the whole case design is ******, too).

I moved the rear exhaust fan to the door (if a 200mm fan can't exhaust enough, then another 120mm won't matter). Case noise is average with all fans on low. I am seeing CPU temps at 90F and MB at 88F, both at idle. Sort of.

This case is about 2" longer and about 5" taller than my previous case (Antec SuperLAN Boy), yet this case is very cramped! At least all of the front connectors reach their MB points. There is a HDD activity LED but no Power On LED (who cares anyhow?)

Here is a link of someone who had a bad time with this case:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121157&highlight=hundred

...and someone who got it to work (this is also mostly what I did):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126395&highlight=hundred

BTW, I installed everything and ran it to see what temps I would see. the MB and CPU were OK, but the Northbridge/Southbridge temps were over 160F! I didn't install the included chipset fan then, but it's on now, and I see temps in the 103F range (that is, after the modding).

Bottom line, if I already hadn't sent in the rebate check, this case was going back to Newegg. If you get this case, get a (ugh, I hate saying this), modular power supply with long cables and don't install a lot of hardware.
January 1, 2007 12:31:26 PM

Regarding that video card problem this is what Antec had to say:http://www.thinkcomputers.org/Nine%20Hundred%20notice.pdf

Which means the new case you buy is going to be the revised version so you will not have any issues. I could fit my 8800 GTX into the first slot and connect my monitor no problem. I also have 3 hard drives in this case, as well as 2 DVD burner and a floppy.

I love this case and i dont care about the haters what they had to say about it. I bought this case about 3 weeks ago, i had a Lian Li before that, and it was like sitting beside a Jet Engine on my desk. Small fans and hardly any room to move my cables out of the way, so you can see something when you look into the case through the window. My 8800GTX was running about 10C hotter because of the poor airflow, so i had to run my computer with the side door off.

About NewbieTechGodII comments about cutting holes into this case the guy obviously does not know what the hell he was talking about.

Here is a review about the case the review date is Dec 16 2006 so it is relatively new:http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/antec900/

Here are some user reviews: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21123&vpn=NI...
January 1, 2007 12:31:46 PM

my friend just built a system with the 900 case. It was a pain to work on and install drives, took hours with lots of screws and drive cages.

I have a Gigabyte 3D Aurora 370 which is a tool-less design and absolutely beautiful. It took less than an hour to install a floppy, 2 dvds and 3 SATA drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I would also go with a Modular PSU. I have a Corsair HX620 and it works great with this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
January 1, 2007 3:01:58 PM

ok ok seriously. whateva.. jus tell me which u think is better in terms of performance= everything from noise to cool. 900 or 180.
January 1, 2007 4:35:35 PM

Quote:
i had a Lian Li before that, and it was like sitting beside a Jet Engine on my desk.

I've got 3 Lian Lis of different sizes and have listened to an Antec 900 with stock fans. The 900 was MUCH louder. No contest. Antec is not trying to market the 900 as a quiet box. It's a high airflow gamer's box so it sounds like you're stretching your sales pitch too far.
January 1, 2007 6:39:33 PM

Quote:
i had a Lian Li before that, and it was like sitting beside a Jet Engine on my desk.

I've got 3 Lian Lis of different sizes and have listened to an Antec 900 with stock fans. The 900 was MUCH louder. No contest. Antec is not trying to market the 900 as a quiet box. It's a high airflow gamer's box so it sounds like you're stretching your sales pitch too far.
LOL sales pitch. Why would i need a sales pitch? I am just telling here my experience with this case. The 900 has 120mm fans the Lian Li case had 80mm fans with no control over the speed. In the antec case you control the fan speeds every single one of them. The 120mm fans has to spin slow not fast, and have great air flow. The 80mm fans has to spin like hell and they can not keep up.

I was using Lian Li case in the past 4 years and since i switched to antec i never looked back. I am glad i switched.
January 1, 2007 7:12:04 PM

I have the Lian Li PC-60 plus II in black. Near-silent, the loudest fan in the case is my X1900XT's stock cooler. On my Asus board I just set the fan controller speed to "Optimal" and it's great, automatically adjusts the case fan speeds based on load.

CPU temps are a little higher than I'd like, idling around 45C, although I'm not sure whether it's due to bad airflow in the case (which is possible, I have 3 hard drives right in front of the front fan) or that my CPU (AM2 Athlon 64 X2 3800+) is just running hotter.

I do love the case, though, no complaints. Very easy to work with. Attracts dust, but then all cases do that. And I just clean it.
January 1, 2007 8:03:28 PM

Both are nice cases but they are for different type of users.

For silence: no contest, the Antec P180 wins hands down (closed case).

The Nine Hundred is geared more towards the users who don't care about low noise levels. Yes, you can control the speed of the fans but it's still an open case concept so you'll always sacrifice noise for better airflow.
January 1, 2007 8:51:20 PM

Quote:
I was using Lian Li case in the past 4 years and since i switched to antec i never looked back. I am glad i switched.

So you're comparing a current gen Antec to a 4 year old LL? Sounds like a good fair comparison. Look, if you want a quiet Antec, a 180 is probably a better way to go. I have not seen a direct dB meter comparison, but that's what my ears tell me. It's OK that you like your 900, but dissing on LLs for being loud, especially current gen LLs, is just wrong. One of my LLs came with a fan speed switch, btw. Many people control fans by front panel or software, the later at no extra cost so your argument doesn't apply for us. Most GPU fans and/or CPU fans are the chief noise source for a gaming box anyway, if not a NB fan.
January 1, 2007 10:30:37 PM

Quote:

So you're comparing a current gen Antec to a 4 year old LL?

So why are we talking about Lian Li cases here anyways? This thread is about Antec P180 vs 900. And yes i did not like my Lian Li case. And no the most noise inside the case is not coming from your CPU cooler unless if you are using a piece of crap one. I use Vantec cooler and it is nice and quiet.

Quote:
For silence: no contest, the Antec P180 wins hands down (closed case).

And if you want to overclock and you don't want to worry about heat issues and if you want your case to look good get the ninehundred
January 1, 2007 11:22:53 PM

How hard can it be to install this stuff? I haven't built a PC in about 3 years, but prior to that have built about 6. Are these things really as hard to put together as the cases of yester-year?
January 1, 2007 11:36:14 PM

Quote:
So why are we talking about Lian Li cases here anyways?

That would be due to you bringing Lian Li's into the thread. Dissing on a quality product and all that. I shouldn't have had to remind you, but perhaps your memory latched.

Quote:
And no the most noise inside the case is not coming from your CPU cooler unless if you are using a piece of crap one. I use Vantec cooler and it is nice and quiet.

So now you resort to distorting my comments? That's cheap, dude. What I said was:

"Most GPU fans and/or CPU fans are the chief noise source for a gaming box anyway, if not a NB fan."

Let me clarify in case you don't understand. If the CPU is pushed either by overclocking or by a high load, the CPU HSF will probably spin up to help the HS cool the chip. Likewise for the GPU. Note my use of "and/or" above. I've actually taken the time to make accurate SPL measurements of numerous sources of noise in computers and have done so for nearly two decades. Thus my comment above is based in measurements, both mine and other professionals. A properly functioning Lian Li case is pretty doggone quiet and the typical performance GPU alone will dominate over Lian Li case fans.

Quote:
And if you want to overclock and you don't want to worry about heat issues and if you want your case to look good get the ninehundred

God you sound like an Antec salesman. Beofre you accuse me of shilling for Lian Li, I'll just say that I've posted positive reviews here and elsewhere for 5 of the 6 cases I set up in '06, three of which were LLs but also had good things to say for TT Armors and Armor Jrs.
January 2, 2007 12:04:46 AM

Quote:
God you sound like an Antec salesman. Beofre you accuse me of shilling for Lian Li, I'll just say that I've posted positive reviews here and elsewhere for 5 of the 6 cases I set up in '06, three of which were LLs but also had good things to say for TT Armors and Armor Jrs.

Wow that is awesome. You are so smart, and talented.

So back to the original question here to choose between the P180 or ninehundred i would pick the ninehundred, because cools great and it looks good.
January 2, 2007 12:50:38 AM

I used the nine hundred for my build and found it to be a fairly good case
Don't mean to step on any toes, but thought I'd comment on a few things mentioned in earlier posts.

Quote:
In order to build the damned thing, I had to cut several holes in the motherboard tray!

I didn't have much trouble with cable management (see the URL http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?atta... for a picture of how somebody else did their build - without cutting holes - my camera is acting up, so am not able to upload my rig's pictures at this time). In the URL that was indicated by NewbieTechGodII, the guy must have very limited experience with building PCs - cuz the wiring was really done badly.

Quote:
Then the 3.5 drive adapter will give you grief (hint- if you fully screw it in, you're looking at 10 screws to hold the caddy, the front cover, AND the drive itself! Each drive cage (fully screwed), is held in with 8 thumbscrews!

True - there are a bunch of screws, and Antec could/should have used their rail system instead - but I don't foresee myself changing drives too often, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Quote:
The 24-pin power connector on the MB is at the upper right, meaning no drives up there. The 8-pin CPU power connecter is in the upper left, and since the power cable is too short to run behind the motherboard tray, it has to run over the PCI cards (that's a problem with the power supply though, but to be fair, the whole case design is ******, too).

If the 24 pin connector is on the upper right, that doesn't mean you can't have any drives there - my SATA drives are there without any issues - True - there really isn't a lot of space behind the mobo tray. But my 8 pin CPU connector runs along the rear all the way to the top without any issue - as you said, it is a PSU issue.

Quote:
I moved the rear exhaust fan to the door (if a 200mm fan can't exhaust enough, then another 120mm won't matter). Case noise is average with all fans on low. I am seeing CPU temps at 90F and MB at 88F, both at idle. Sort of.

I'm seeing CPU temps (idle) range from 79F to 87F - system temp is about 85F - This is NOT a low-noise case - you can hear the airflow and I think it is because of the airflow from the PSU and the GPU interfering with each other - the fans face each other directly (I have the ASUS P5W DH board)

Quote:
Bottom line, if I already hadn't sent in the rebate check, this case was going back to Newegg. If you get this case, get a (ugh, I hate saying this), modular power supply with long cables and don't install a lot of hardware.

I have 4 SATA HDDs, 1 FDD, 1 MMC card reader, 1 DVD RW in this case with a 7900GT GPU on the P5W DH board with an E6600 and OCZ600GXSSLI - and didn't have much trouble with it. As I stated above, the rail system on the drives would be nice to have, the fan GPU directly facing the PSU fan does cause some additional "turbulence" noise - on a low setting on the fans though, the noise is low - but definitely noticable.
In all, it is among the best cases that I have build with. (I found temps to be slightly lower with this case than with the P180 - I had originally used the P180, but the case I got happened to be damaged - when I returned it, I found the nine-hundred at the local compusa and bought it instead)

Edit: Almost forgot to mention - the nine-hundred's manual talks about the Power On LED, but it does not exist! Also, to connect the 3.5" FDD and/or the MMC reader, you need to use the supplied adapter kit - the holes on this provided plastic tray are not grooved - took me a while to figure this out! Slight pressure on the screwdriver took care of it though.
January 2, 2007 1:08:40 AM

Quote:
I found temps to be slightly lower with this case than with the P180 - I had originally used the P180, but the case I got happened to be damaged - when I returned it, I found the nine-hundred at the local compusa and bought it instead

seeing as youve used both cases, which do you believe to be the better one?
January 2, 2007 1:46:34 AM

Quote:
Wow that is awesome. You are so smart, and talented.

So back to the original question here to choose between the P180 or ninehundred i would pick the ninehundred, because cools great and it looks good.

I'm sure that a good looking case carries massive weight for you. Glad you're happy with it. And, yes I am smart and talented. Smart enough to measure SPLs before spraying. Awesome is overused, so no thanks.

Long live the 900! Bling on, LEDs!
January 2, 2007 11:20:23 AM

Nem2k, both the cases are good - you will not be disappointed with either. In the end, I chose the nine hundred because it has better cooling (I run all the fans on their lowest settings) and because its front panel access (USB, firewire, power switch) is at the top rather than the front - I keep this on the ground and I found it easier to access - don't have to kneel down or bend my neck too much to plug in my camera or camcorder etc.

Some people have said that because this case (nine-hundred) doesn't have filters on the intake fans, it would gather too much dust - I've used this for a few months now (Actually bought it soon after it came out) and have found no dust accumulation - I guess if one is using this in a place with lots of dust floating around (saw mill? *Smile*), you will get a lot of dust.
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2007 1:00:10 PM

I agree - that both are good, solid cases. As a matter of opinion, if you spend more that $100 on any enclosure, you will likely get a good solid case.

I chose the P180B - as I like the clean lines and the engineering that is in it. Rubberized Power Supply Cage, Rubber screw 'thingies' for the drive bays, wind tunnel for the hard drives and the PS, and 3 stock 120mm fans (with room for 2 more).

I really like the removable, washable air filters in the front of the case - which help to keep things clean inside. Crap still gets in - but the filters get most of it.

My advice to anyone on a case - is to ensure that it has at least 2 - 120mm fans and has a good amount of internal air volume - which both the Antec 900 and P180's have. Other than that - look at aesthetics...Do you like the looks, can it hold the internal components you need....Ect.

With the P180 - there is a concern with needing a longer than normal MB power cable from the power supply. There are several stock units that will fit the bill, however you can simply purchase an extender. I chose the FSP PSU - which seems to work very well for me in this build. My only question is that the fan for this is on the bottom - which defies the wind-tunnel concept a bit. It still stays cool, and there is deliberate room all around the cage for the power supply - however I would have liked to get something with a fan on the back - to better take advantage of the wind-tunnel.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
January 2, 2007 4:07:29 PM

i think my main concern with the 180 is the cooling. in my new system im not going to have too many hot components, but therell be a 8800GTX (possible a second one at some point), 2 hard drives and an overclocked e6600. will the 180 be able to cool a system like that which is constantly under load?
January 2, 2007 4:09:36 PM

Quote:
i think my main concern with the 180 is the cooling. in my new system im not going to have too many hot components, but therell be a 8800GTX (possible a second one at some point), 2 hard drives and an overclocked e6600. will the 180 be able to cool a system like that which is constantly under load?

Your 8800 GTX will be running around 70-80C when it is under load. Make sure you are aware of that before you make a purchase decision.
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2007 4:50:30 PM

I mentioned this before - but one of the nice things about the P180 is the wind-tunnel - for the power supply and hard drives. There is another cage for 3.5" hard drives in the main compartment - but if you put the drives in the lower area - then they do not contribute significantly to temperatures within the main compartment.

The 8800 series (and most High End cards) are 'double wide' to allow for expediant exhaust of heat from the card. Some heat will radiate out - but at least the card does not blow out the hot air into the main compartment.

The E6600 doesn't create as much heat as a prescott - but then neither does a propane torch....regardless, the heat from the core2duo's is reletively low - so much so that the stock HSF does a really good job even for modest overclocks.

My judgement is that if you are creating a good amount of airflow into the main compartment of the P180 - then you should be in good shape. My solution has the two top fans pulling air in - If I were to put in an 8800 - I would add another fan to push air in from the front - though even that might be overkill.

If you are truely worried - get the 900 - with that huge side fan you will be in great shape. Alternately - consider the Thermaltake Armor with the 200mm side fan - that is also one heck of a case.

Cheers.
January 2, 2007 5:14:19 PM

Quote:
Alternately - consider the Thermaltake Armor with the 200mm side fan - that is also one heck of a case.

Agreed, although the Armor is a large box. I'd guess it's larger than the P180. I added the side fan as an accessory after collecting quite a bit of load vs. temps vs. OC data and got a substantial decrease in CPU and GPU temps. Sorry, can't locate my numbers at the moment because the box they are on is apart for an upgrade but I seem to remember about a 4C drop on each. Since then, I turned my front fans around to act as exhausts and the temps dropped about another 2C, probably because my Armor has 8 HDs and those front fans were pulling heat off of the HDs and pushing it into the CPU and GPU area.
January 2, 2007 7:04:52 PM

Actually the 900 doesn't have a side fan (there is an optional bracket though) the 200mm is in the top to vent out rising hot air.
January 2, 2007 7:12:28 PM

Quote:
My judgement is that if you are creating a good amount of airflow into the main compartment of the P180 - then you should be in good shape. My solution has the two top fans pulling air in - If I were to put in an 8800 - I would add another fan to push air in from the front - though even that might be overkill.quote]

so youd have 3 intake fans? but then wouldnt all the hot air just stay inside the case?

the problem if i get a p180 is exactly that, good airflow. id have to remove the fan from the lower compartment as i have a big psu. id have to remove the upper drive cage to make way for the 8800. so im already losing a lot of fans

if i have the back 2 fans as outtake, and 1 intake at the front, will that be enough to cool the 8800s?
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2007 7:41:53 PM

The Dimentions of the Enermax Liberty you listed is 86x150x140 (HxWxD) - the same as my FSP 600W PS. I wouldn't worry about needing to remove the lower fan - as it works just fine in my situation. It's a tight fit - but it works.

The two upper fans in my case are both output. They do a fine job of pulling air through the case - I have no input fans. If you need to remove the upper drive cage for the 8800 (Please verify because I am interested) then you would still have all of your stock fans - plus have access to mounting a forth fan directly behind the upper air filter.

This would have the effect of one input - two output in the upper compartment, and then you have the wind-tunnel below for the drives and the power supply.

BTW - if you want to do a single 8800GTX - your selected PS should handle it - however if you want to do the 8800GTX in SLI - consider the certified Power supplies from the nVidia site:

CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W (RS-850-EMBA)
ETASIS ET-850 850W
ETASIS ET-750 750W
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1KW-SR 1000W
PC Power & Cooling 1KW-Quad SLI (TC1KW4E) 1000W
Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF 850W
Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF 750W
Tagan TG900-U96 900W
Tagan TG1100-U96 1100W
Thermaltake Toughpower W0131RU 850W
Topower/ePower TOP-1000W
Zippy Gaming PSL-6850P(G1)-PCIE4

Of course - I havn't found the dimentions on these - and they may cause you to remove the lower fan if they exceed 140mm in depth.

EDIT - I looked up the dimentions for the the PCP&C 1kw Turbo - 230MM - that is a monster!!

Cheers
January 2, 2007 7:45:52 PM

I had both cases, I started off with the 900 and returned it and exchanged it for the p180.

The p180 seems quiter, provided you have a GOOD CPU cooler and can put all the fans on low. Every fan in the case it speed adjustable, as was the 900. The 900 is more 'open' in a sense that it has LOTS of mesh all over it. I found the p180 MUCH quiter, and the difference in temp with the EXACT same hardware was like...2 degrees C cooler in the 900. The tradeoff for the less noise with the p180 was well worth it.

The only thing about the p180 is..it's a PITA to route the power cables properly, AND if you're going to go SLI with two double-slot cards like the 8800GTS/X series, you would have to remove the plastic panel in between the bottom chamber and the motherboard to fit it all in there. And, you'd have to lose the bottom fan.

I don't have my second 8800 YET, but I already removed the bottom fan. The PSU stays cool enough without it, and so do the 4 hard drives I have mounted down there. If you're going to use a fast(hot) GPU with the p180, buy two more Antec 120MM fans and use the top Hard Drive chamber as a 'wind tunnel' blowing air over the 8800s. My 8800GTS never goes over 60C even after hours of playing, and it went up to 80C in my original case (TT Armor Jr.).

If your going 8800 GTXs, they are longer, so only ONE fan in the top chamber, but it will still fit and the one fan will definetly help keep it cool. I have all the fans on low, EXCEPT the one by the video card, that's on medium and you can barely hear it. The 900 definetly makes alot more noise for only marginally better cooling, IMO.

THe one disadvantage for of the p180 over the 900 is, it's MUCH taller. If case height is an issue you might want to consider that.
January 2, 2007 7:59:31 PM

Antec 900.........nuff said
January 3, 2007 9:09:46 AM

I've got a LianLi PC70 all setup and working like i've had for the past few years and i've not seen
a case that i like until i saw the antec 900, it looks awesome and from all the reviews it performs
exellent cooling wise, i might even grab one for my next pc :wink:
January 3, 2007 9:42:16 AM

I would like to hear from anyone who has had this case for a while> I was wondering whether dust build up is a big problem, what with all that mesh at the front!

Its impossible to tell if this case is easy to work with or not, the opinions here are all polar opposites.
January 3, 2007 9:49:39 AM

Quote:
Its impossible to tell if this case is easy to work with or not, the opinions here are all polar opposites.

:lol:  It is isn't it
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest