New Rig OS troubles, please help.

SaevusMalus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Posted this over in Software, but there seems to be less traffic over there so I will ask the gurus here too:

Built a new rig, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, E6600, 8800GTX, 2gb DDR2-800; build went fine, everything is normal, set the bios to defaults, pop in my brand new Windows XP Media disk 1 and install goes normal, get along to switching to disk 2, no problem. Then all of the sudden it starts asking me to insert the "Windows Proffessional Service Pack 2 Disk", the first time I did this, I thought it meant this 2005 updates disk that was in the box (my version of media xp came with 3 disk, 2 shiny gold ones labeled 1 and 2 and a white one that looks to be the 2005 updates) so I plug in this other disk and it just blinks, ask me for the SP 2 disk again, I put the disk 2 back in, no go, I put disk 1 back in and again, nothing. So I hit cancel, install just seems to finish out and XP loads. However, when I try to install drivers, it starts to open installshield, then tells me the installshield (ikernel.exe) cannot be found, the PRC server is unavailiable.

Basically, I have never dealt with this version of windows, someone told me if you open the disk drive and close it again when it ask for the SP2 disk it will work, but that didn't seem to do anything for me in one of my many trys since then. I am stumped, can't find anything on any website about it and so far I have benn unsuccessful in getting a good clean install, which is frusterating because I actually bought the software this time and it won't work.

If anyone out there in custom build land has come across this same error and found a way around it, I am open for anything at this point...I am trying one last install, if that fails, I will tear the rig down and install a Zalman 9700 I just got because I didn't like the temps the stock HSF was posting.

Any help is much appreciated guys.

SaevusMalus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Well, I have been trying to do just that, but their website keeps giving me the run around. I was just hoping someone around here might have had similar issues and found a fix.

SaevusMalus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Tried to find a phone number that actually worked....boy was that fun, I dropped an email....I guess I will just hold on to this flawed install of XP media until I can get my hands on something that works, I can't find anything anywhere...worst case I guess I buy XP home off someone for cheap...maybe I can fine that damn XP home disk for my old alienware. Hmmmm......since I can't really install the drivers I need to run my machine, I have taken to monitoring the temps. to see how the 9700 I just installed is cooling. the temps are like 10C cooler, but I still get a HUGE difference between different monitoring programs, which, unlike my drivers I seem to be able to install. PAH!