All of a sudden, IE6.1 starts automatically upon user logon

Using Win 2K+SP4.
IE6.1 It is not listed in the startup folder.
I don't know were else an automatic startup may be recorded
and how such a status change occured.

Any idea how to stop it?
Where are ALL the "secret" Windows' ways of automatic starting anything (not
required for the OS to complete logon) upon logon?

Thanks,
David

"David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Using Win 2K+SP4.
> IE6.1 It is not listed in the startup folder.
> I don't know were else an automatic startup may be recorded
> and how such a status change occured.
>
> Any idea how to stop it?
> Where are ALL the "secret" Windows' ways of automatic starting
> anything (not required for the OS to complete logon) upon logon?

Get "Startup Control Panel" (freeware) at:
<http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml>
It will show you everywhere startups live and allow you to control
them.

HTH,
John

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

This behavior is usually the result of a bad/incomplete command in one of
the Run entries in the registry. Can happen if you manually delete an app
out from under it or if an installation was aborted or corrupted in some
other way. The un-executable command results in an IE window popping up.

-Frank

"David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Using Win 2K+SP4.
> IE6.1 It is not listed in the startup folder.
> I don't know were else an automatic startup may be recorded
> and how such a status change occured.
>
> Any idea how to stop it?
> Where are ALL the "secret" Windows' ways of automatic starting anything
> (not
> required for the OS to complete logon) upon logon?
>
> Thanks,
> David

From all I know so far, what you wrote fits the best. Not that I did
anything with the registry but I think I deleted some application and as we
know, something could go wrong with uninstalls.
How do I go about finding such bad entries? I never mess up manually with
the registry.

George's idea about something malicious is also a possibility but: 1. I have
never had anything like that because I am extremely careful what I put into
my computer and it never happened to me before (yes, I know there is always
the first time...). 2. I did some thorough scannings after such agents.

Thanks,

David

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> This behavior is usually the result of a bad/incomplete command in one of
> the Run entries in the registry. Can happen if you manually delete an app
> out from under it or if an installation was aborted or corrupted in some
> other way. The un-executable command results in an IE window popping up.
>
> -Frank
>
> "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Using Win 2K+SP4.
> > IE6.1 It is not listed in the startup folder.
> > I don't know were else an automatic startup may be recorded
> > and how such a status change occured.
> >
> > Any idea how to stop it?
> > Where are ALL the "secret" Windows' ways of automatic starting anything
> > (not
> > required for the OS to complete logon) upon logon?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David

Can also be a result of spyware.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message news:v_Kdncdy88tHXADfRVn-jw@giganews.com...
> This behavior is usually the result of a bad/incomplete command in one of
> the Run entries in the registry. Can happen if you manually delete an app
> out from under it or if an installation was aborted or corrupted in some
> other way. The un-executable command results in an IE window popping up.
>
> -Frank
>
> "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Using Win 2K+SP4.
> > IE6.1 It is not listed in the startup folder.
> > I don't know were else an automatic startup may be recorded
> > and how such a status change occured.
> >
> > Any idea how to stop it?
> > Where are ALL the "secret" Windows' ways of automatic starting anything
> > (not
> > required for the OS to complete logon) upon logon?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

You say you don't normally mess with the registry, so, I would advise you
read up a little on precautions before doing this. That said...

Go to the command line and start the registry editor (regedt32.exe)

Look for erroneous or incomplete entries in the following places (usually
these erroneous entries will be found in the Run key). When found, delete
the string pointing to the non-extent command.

Select: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Select: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
Select:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
Select:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

> From all I know so far, what you wrote fits the best. Not that I did
> anything with the registry but I think I deleted some application and as
> we
> know, something could go wrong with uninstalls.
> How do I go about finding such bad entries? I never mess up manually with
> the registry.
>
> George's idea about something malicious is also a possibility but: 1. I
> have
> never had anything like that because I am extremely careful what I put
> into
> my computer and it never happened to me before (yes, I know there is
> always
> the first time...). 2. I did some thorough scannings after such agents.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> This behavior is usually the result of a bad/incomplete command in one of
>> the Run entries in the registry. Can happen if you manually delete an
>> app
>> out from under it or if an installation was aborted or corrupted in some
>> other way. The un-executable command results in an IE window popping up.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "David F" <David-White@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> > Using Win 2K+SP4.
>> > IE6.1 It is not listed in the startup folder.
>> > I don't know were else an automatic startup may be recorded
>> > and how such a status change occured.
>> >
>> > Any idea how to stop it?
>> > Where are ALL the "secret" Windows' ways of automatic starting anything
>> > (not
>> > required for the OS to complete logon) upon logon?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > David

Here:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=asviewer