First time builder... PC Part List. (Input Needed.)

FalseCourage

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hello all,

Here is my current build:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5044627&WishListTitle=New+PC+Rig

I've consulted several guides on your site, and others in regards to the parts I've selected. But, since this is my first build that I'm doing on my PC, it wouldn't hurt to have additional confidence that I've selected proper parts.

This will be my PC for the next 3 years, so I've got a state of the art Graphics Card...

But, will the graphics card fit into the case that I've selected? I'm not soo good with measurements, thus the reason why I'm seeking assistance here in particular. (Feel free to give an elaborate or touch up response on measurements alone.)

Case Dimensions: 21.3" x 8.1" x 19.9" (H x W x D)

Video Card Dimensions:
PCB Length = 10.5"
With Bracket = 11.026"
Height (Inside Case) = 4.376"
With Bracket (Partially Hidden) = 4.975"
Width = 1.809"

Also, how does this PC build compare to the normal above average builds that you folks have seen? Are there any additional problems with the parts I've selected?

Any input / suggestion, etc.. Will be most apperciated.

Thanks,
FC

FalseCourage

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Only recommendation I have right now is to change your HDD to this one.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB
The perp. recording gives you faster access times for the same money.

Do you plan to overclock?

Yes, in the later years of its life cycle. (That is the reason why I shelled out for the 680i chipset that nVidia has put out.) But, in the beginning I will not be overclocking it.

And will the video card fit in?

Thanks,

FC.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I'm hoping someone else may have that case that can tell us if the GTX will fit. I want to say yes, but I'm not sure.

Obviously you have a fair sized budget, but if you wanted to save a few bones, there's plenty of mobos out there that are great for OCing that don't cost $250. Are there features on it like firewire, etc. that you need, or you just picked it for OC potential?

I was a little concerned about your PSU being only 500W with an 8800GTX, but it does have the trip rails, so you may be ok.

FalseCourage

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm hoping someone else may have that case that can tell us if the GTX will fit. I want to say yes, but I'm not sure.

Obviously you have a fair sized budget, but if you wanted to save a few bones, there's plenty of mobos out there that are great for OCing that don't cost $250. Are there features on it like firewire, etc. that you need, or you just picked it for OC potential?

I was a little concerned about your PSU being only 500W with an 8800GTX, but it does have the trip rails, so you may be ok.

In the specification page of the Video Card it says in the System Requirements:
1GB of system memory
CD-ROM drive
50MB of available hard disk drive space for basic driver installation
PCI Express-compliant motherboard with one vacant PCI Express x16 slot
450W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 30A or more( Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel Core2 Extreme X6800 processor)
Two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
-or-
Four 4-pin Molex supplementary power connectors
Graphics Card Link

I decided on that motherboard because I'm going to end up going into film, and because I know I'll need to OC it in the later years when my budget will be drained severely. (I'm salvaging my media harddrive in my dell **Hopefully** and including it inside my new box to store raw film on.)

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Lite-On has a 20X DVD burner for $40

the WD2500KS is good bang for the buck, just got one and I'm pleased with it

I read somewhere that the XMS wasn't great for OCing. you could save on the RAM and do better for OCing, check compatibility with the mobo here

I think sounds cards are overblown, your ears can't tell the difference at a certain point. I'd pick a cheaper one

the PSU is anemic. I like the HIPERs, nicely made, quiet, and comes with a cool and very useful storage box for your spare parts. minimum 580, SLI certified

I like eVGA better than BFG, I'd go with their 8800GTX. you save $10 and DON'T get a T-shirt. you have to pay $10 more to advertise for them?

I don't care for cases with doors - it's a hassle to have to open a door every time you want to use a DVD / CD. I'd also get one with a mobo tray like the Silverstone TJ09

my $.02