Powerful longin script?

Hi all, I've got a question on how powerful a login script can be...

Environment I've got : We've got windows 2000 server with domain
controller/active directory, 3000 desktops login to the domain everyday.

My Requirements :
Show a popup to the client machine during the login and boot up process,
show our company's policy(grabbed from MS-SQL). The popup box must have a
tick box users can tick to accept the policy. User may proceed without
ticking the box and the logon process continues. The user's policy acceptance
history is logged into SQL database.

Condition for the meesage box popup : There's a condition for the popup box
to show up though. If the user has seen this box and agreed with the policy
last 6 weeks, then the message box doesn't even show up for the user.

I am actually not a system admin, I'm a developer who can write vbscript.
I'm totally new to this area and want to know the feasibility of the project
using wsh(vbscript/javascript).

,,, Login scripts are run on client computers, don't they??? If so, our 3000
client computers must have access to the sql server?? Am I right?

,,, It's going to be great if the login script runs on server, not on
client, Can anybody confirm where it runs..

,,, What I am trying to do is impossible, or is there any alternative
solutions??

Please advise,,

Thank you all experts out there in advance!!

John Choi

From: "JohnChoi" <JohnChoi@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hi all, I've got a question on how powerful a login script can be...
|
| Environment I've got : We've got windows 2000 server with domain
| controller/active directory, 3000 desktops login to the domain everyday.
|
| My Requirements :
| Show a popup to the client machine during the login and boot up process,
| show our company's policy(grabbed from MS-SQL). The popup box must have a
| tick box users can tick to accept the policy. User may proceed without
| ticking the box and the logon process continues. The user's policy acceptance
| history is logged into SQL database.
|
| Condition for the meesage box popup : There's a condition for the popup box
| to show up though. If the user has seen this box and agreed with the policy
| last 6 weeks, then the message box doesn't even show up for the user.
|
| I am actually not a system admin, I'm a developer who can write vbscript.
| I'm totally new to this area and want to know the feasibility of the project
| using wsh(vbscript/javascript).
|
| ,,, Login scripts are run on client computers, don't they??? If so, our 3000
| client computers must have access to the sql server?? Am I right?
|
| ,,, It's going to be great if the login script runs on server, not on
| client, Can anybody confirm where it runs..
|
| ,,, What I am trying to do is impossible, or is there any alternative
| solutions??
|
| Please advise,,
|
| Thank you all experts out there in advance!!
|
| John Choi

Here the place that is *best* to ask about Login Scripts
microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Logon scripts run off the "netlogon" share of the validating
domain controller. What you're trying to can easily be done,
especially since you can write your own vb script. Simply
invoke your script from the batch file located in the netlogon
share (and defined in each user's profile).

From: "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com>

| Logon scripts run off the "netlogon" share of the validating
| domain controller. What you're trying to can easily be done,
| especially since you can write your own vb script. Simply
| invoke your script from the batch file located in the netlogon
| share (and defined in each user's profile).

Isn't that NT4 Domain construct that you are talking about ?

Isn't it a Group policy construct to assign a Login Script and the script can be setup on
any member server on Win2K and Win2003 Server AD Domain ?

--

> From: "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com>
>
> | Logon scripts run off the "netlogon" share of the validating
> | domain controller. What you're trying to can easily be done,
> | especially since you can write your own vb script. Simply
> | invoke your script from the batch file located in the netlogon
> | share (and defined in each user's profile).
>
> Isn't that NT4 Domain construct that you are talking about ?
>
> Isn't it a Group policy construct to assign a Login Script and the script
can be setup on
> any member server on Win2K and Win2003 Server AD Domain ?

Both will work.