Sign in with
Your question

Card for games and 3d graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2006 7:52:07 PM

so i do a lot of gaming as well as a lot of 3d animation in maya and im trying to pick a graphics card for my new rig

its a choice between the radeon X1950XT and the GF 7950GT

2 questions:

1) which is the faster card for games? im trying to build a system which will be able to run UT2007 at max settings when its released

2) which card is more stable for 3d animation? ive always heard (in the past) that ATi cards have poor driver support for those type of programs, have things improved since then?

and at some point, probably end of 2007, beginning of 2008, ill be picking up a new DX10 card
so right now i need a card to last me a year and all the games that will be released in that time, before i do the big upgrade to a dx10 card

More about : card games graphics

December 29, 2006 8:44:11 PM

Both are matched well. Radeons are power hungry yet fair better image quality - Geforces are easy on the power.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2006 8:51:32 PM

What's the 3D apps you'll be using as they aren't all the same, many favour nV some favour ATi.

As for gaming between the two the X1950XT would be the victor in the vast majority of current titles.
Related resources
December 29, 2006 8:56:29 PM

Quote:
What's the 3D apps you'll be using as they aren't all the same, many favour nV some favour ATi.

ill be using maya mostly, but im also a max user
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2006 9:24:38 PM

Well Maya is one of the few that favour ATi, 3DsMax favours nV.
December 29, 2006 10:36:09 PM

I doubt either will allow you to run UT2007 at max settings. Just save the extra now and get an 8800 GTX. Then in a year you can sell that card if you must and you will still get decent money for it. You're just throwing away money now on either of those cards IMO.
December 29, 2006 10:53:16 PM

well my logic was this...

comparing the 8800 series to the 7800 from not too long ago...the 7800 has pretty much disappeared now and been replaced by better faster cards

i figured if i wait for vista to be released, we'd see more dx10 cards from nvidia and ati, thereby showing which card would actually be worth the money, at the same time as having the prices drop

i have the money to get an 8800gtx yes, but is it really worth it? you cant really compare the 8800 to current gen cards because its in a completely different league, and yet there are no other dx10 cards out so i have nothing to compare it to, which is why im waiting before i jump on the next gen bandwagon

or is that an ineffective plan? should i just get an 8800gtx now regardless of its high price tag?
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2006 2:07:27 AM

forget the 8800GTX, I stand behind this original recommendation and think it's still sound for anyone who can afford it;
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

also here;
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

eVGA GTS makes alot of sense. Enjoy all the features and benifits, have an exit/upgrade strategy, and also have a good potential for resale later.

IMO, the sweetspots are the X1950Pro and the GF8800GTS.

Just an idea.
December 30, 2006 9:03:35 AM

i see what you mean, but do you think that the r600 cards will be out within the 90days that the stepup program is valid?
December 30, 2006 10:40:36 AM

If you don't want the best performance but want the best performance/price ratio then the Ape's recommendation is probably for you. If you want the best card you're lucky at the moment BECAUSE there is only one choice. If you want the best shot at playing new games (the way they are meant to be played) you have to buy the best hardware. If not be prepared to turn down the res or eye candy to get decent frame rates.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2006 11:30:52 AM

Quote:
i see what you mean, but do you think that the r600 cards will be out within the 90days that the stepup program is valid?

so far evga doesn't do ati, so the R600 question is not really valid.
December 30, 2006 6:19:18 PM

ah so i guess this all hinges on whether nvidia are going to release a new card in the next 3 months. have they made any announcements as to when their next line of cards will come out?

and right now im thinking it would be wise to get an evga 7950gt, wait the 3 month period, if something new comes out, step up to that. if not, step up to an 8800 series card

does that seem like a good idea? right now my games include ghost recon advanced warfighter, rainbow 6 vegas, and im assuming the 7950 can handle those on max?
so if i later step up to a 8800gtx, then id only be paying the difference, so i dont spend any extra compared to buying it now, but it gives me the 3 month period to see if anything better comes out
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2006 8:38:27 PM

Quote:
ah so i guess this all hinges on whether nvidia are going to release a new card in the next 3 months. have they made any announcements as to when their next line of cards will come out?

and right now im thinking it would be wise to get an evga 7950gt, wait the 3 month period, if something new comes out, step up to that. if not, step up to an 8800 series card

does that seem like a good idea? right now my games include ghost recon advanced warfighter, rainbow 6 vegas, and im assuming the 7950 can handle those on max?
so if i later step up to a 8800gtx, then id only be paying the difference, so i dont spend any extra compared to buying it now, but it gives me the 3 month period to see if anything better comes out

essentially that would be a workable plan. But you buy from evga direct with step up so the prices may not be that attractive compared to on-line retail prices.

everything at max is not proveable as it depends on what max is, what res are you running at? It'll certainly enable smooth play of almost anything at high settings for most games at 1280x1024, and maybe even 1600x1200.
January 1, 2007 9:55:03 AM

i doubt i would be running any higher than 1280x1024 in games, so im hoping the current games out now can be played max settings on a 7950gt

and yeah i realise that buying direct from evga will cost more, but do you think its worth it?
i mean i dont NEED the power of an 8800 until UT2k7 comes out, so its a bit pointless paying the price for it now when in 3months time something better might come along
January 1, 2007 1:23:01 PM

I hear eVGA has a "step-up" program with which you can purchase a better videocard for the difference in price you paid for your 7950. You want a GTX and just paid 300 bucks for the card you have now, you can use the 7950GT for a few months if you choose and pay the difference for the GTX down the road. Actualy, thats quite a freakin' deal. 8O

The 7950GT will woop all of your current games into shape at the res. :wink: My 7900GS runs flawlessly at that resolution with everything on max.
January 3, 2007 3:11:07 AM

wow so i actually stopped to look at how much i would be paying for the 8800GTX on the stepup program, and it just so happens to be one of the most expensive GTXs out there!

i want to get a GTX but im not sure i want to pay that much for it :s

now i really have no idea what to do. just get a 7950GT now and wait about a year to upgrade? bite the bullet and get a 8800GTX from BFG? i dont think the evga stepup program interests me all that much anymore given their products cost a lot more than competitors :s
January 3, 2007 5:37:48 AM

You would only be paying $550 in full if you used the step-up program (not including shipping) and you will have used another video card for up to 90 days in which it is highly possible the price would have dropped. So you will have a video card that will suit your needs now and you can upgrade later that could suit beyond your needs.

It's more expensive because eVGA is a respected name in video cards and it offers a lifetime warranty and another lifetime warranty to the next card owner. In this way eVGA cards can be sold for more because the next card owner will have a lifetime warranty as well.
January 3, 2007 5:36:36 PM

ok 2 questions then...

should i get a 7950GT or an 8800GTS now? later on step up to whatever might come out in the future

and if i use nTune to overclock the gpu, would the evga warranty still be valid?
January 3, 2007 6:22:50 PM

Dude just buy a 8800 GTX it will make your life better trust me :p 
January 3, 2007 10:38:43 PM

Quote:
ok 2 questions then...

should i get a 7950GT or an 8800GTS now? later on step up to whatever might come out in the future

and if i use nTune to overclock the gpu, would the evga warranty still be valid?

Yes the warranty would still be valid after overclocking

as for the 7950GT or 8800GTS its really your preference if you got the 8800GTS and liked it you might not have to step up. I myself am thinking about whether I should step up or just get an 8800GTX. (first I need a job though :x :x :x :x )
January 5, 2007 3:24:01 AM

Quote:
I myself am thinking about whether I should step up or just get an 8800GTX. (first I need a job though :x :x :x :x )

what are you going to decide?

and yes, the whole job thing sucks ass. i just had my hours slashed in half so paying this compute off is going to be fun :roll:
!