windows cannot load your profile ?

Scott

when attempting to login to a windows 2000 member server using rdp client to
terminal services im getting the msg:

"windows cannot load your profile. please increase registry size and restart
the computer" if admin user defult profile will load, if normal user I cant
get access.

current reg size = 141mb
max reg size = 500mb
initial page size = 2000 mb
max page size = 4000mb
13 GB free on C

anyone have a clue ?

thanks
scott

To increase registry quota Control Panel|System|Advanced|Performance
Options|Change, then under "Registry Size" you can set the value to a higher
number.

if admin user default profile will load"
This doesn't make much sense since the user profile should load. The
\default user is only accessed when a new user logs on.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"scott" wrote:
| when attempting to login to a windows 2000 member server using rdp client
| terminal services im getting the msg:
|
| "windows cannot load your profile. please increase registry size and
restart
| the computer" if admin user defult profile will load, if normal user I
cant
| get access.
|
| current reg size = 141mb
| max reg size = 500mb
| initial page size = 2000 mb
| max page size = 4000mb
| 13 GB free on C
|
| anyone have a clue ?
|
| thanks
| scott

We're still in the dark with out more details. More than likely the
permissions are incorrect.

--

"scott" wrote:
| reg is currently 141, max size is 500 when changing size it does not sort
| problem.

Scott

thanks for reply.

I reset permissions recursively on C to allow "everyone" full access to C,
rebooted, i still get problem.
(im 100% sure all files and dirs on C allow everyone full access)

when i login as admin (or any admin user) i get the following messages:

"WINDOWS CANNOT LOAD YOUR PROFILE. PLEASE INCREASE THE REG SIZE AND RESTART"

"WINDOWS CANNOT LOAD THE USER'S PROFILE BUT HAS LOGGED YOU ON WITH THE
DEFAULT PROFILE FOR THE SYSTEM"
DETAIL - insufficient system resources to complete the requested service"

what other detail to you need ?

thanks again
scott

The \default user profile may be corrupt or incorrect permissions. This
article may help.

How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

Follow the steps in this article if you find you need to replace the local
administrator's profile but only after you verify the \default user profile
has been repaired or replaced and works correctly when you logon locally as
a new user.

User Profile May Become Corrupted After You Perform a Clean Windows 2000
Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296834

--

"scott" wrote:
| thanks for reply.
|
| I reset permissions recursively on C to allow "everyone" full access to C,
| rebooted, i still get problem.
| (im 100% sure all files and dirs on C allow everyone full access)
|
| when i login as admin (or any admin user) i get the following messages:
|
| "WINDOWS CANNOT LOAD YOUR PROFILE. PLEASE INCREASE THE REG SIZE AND
RESTART"

| "WINDOWS CANNOT LOAD THE USER'S PROFILE BUT HAS LOGGED YOU ON WITH THE
| DEFAULT PROFILE FOR THE SYSTEM"
| DETAIL - insufficient system resources to complete the requested service"
|
| what other detail to you need ?
|
| thanks again
| scott

Scott

thanks again for reply.

I applied the steps in the first article "How to Restore the Default NTFS
Permissions for Windows 2000" but the problem still occurred at login. I
then deleted a user profile (non admin) and attempted to login. At this
stage the I get the error:

- "windows cannot load your profile. please increate reg size....."
- "windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be loaded...."
- "an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist"
- RDP client then bails out.

I then attempted to create a new admin account as per the second article:

- computer management
- local users and group
- punch in user + pass
- select create

At this stage i got the message:

"the following error occurred while attempting to create the user
administratorbk on computer server. Insufficient system resources exist to
complete the requested service".

It cant be referring to disk space as 13Gb free and i can easily copy 100mb
files to drive. Is it maybe the registry size its moaning about ?

(but again registry is currently 141 and max is 600. Also page file initial
is 2000mb and max is 4000mb, dual cpu machine with gig of ram.).

Maybe a corrupt registry ? i ran scan disk fix all errors yesterday with no
reported problems.

thanks
scott

Sounds like the \default user is corrupt. Copy it from another like machine.

--

"scott" wrote:
| thanks again for reply.
|
| I applied the steps in the first article "How to Restore the Default NTFS
| Permissions for Windows 2000" but the problem still occurred at login. I
| then deleted a user profile (non admin) and attempted to login. At this
| stage the I get the error:
|
| - "windows cannot load your profile. please increate reg size....."
| - "windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be loaded...."
| - "an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist"
| - RDP client then bails out.
|
| I then attempted to create a new admin account as per the second article:
|
| - computer management
| - local users and group
| - punch in user + pass
| - select create
|
| At this stage i got the message:
|
| "the following error occurred while attempting to create the user
| administratorbk on computer server. Insufficient system resources exist to
| complete the requested service".
|
| It cant be referring to disk space as 13Gb free and i can easily copy
100mb
| files to drive. Is it maybe the registry size its moaning about ?
|
| (but again registry is currently 141 and max is 600. Also page file
initial
| is 2000mb and max is 4000mb, dual cpu machine with gig of ram.).
|
| Maybe a corrupt registry ? i ran scan disk fix all errors yesterday with
no
| reported problems.
|
| thanks
| scott

Scott

copied "default user" dir from win2k DC to win2k server with problem.
(deleted old one first on destination server)

installed symantec patch suggested by
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272568.

restarted machine and still have same problems at login.

when i exported the registry the file was 152mb but where you set reg size +
max ett...it reports it size as 141mb.

thanks for the suggestions.
Scott

That should work.