Missing Files after checking HIDDEN FILES in my documents

I checked hidden files in mydocuments folder. When I booted up the next time
and looked in my documents I found all my files were missing. I did make sure
show hidden files and folders was checked but still no sign of any files. How
do I get my files back?

Thank you.

* Click Start, run, type "control folders" (with out quotation marks) and
click OK.
* Click View tab, uncheck the option "Hide protected operating system files
[Recommended]".
* Click OK.

--
HTH