Question about AGP vs PCI on a Compaq, possible PC modding 2

Karuka

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I'm a owner of a Compaq computer, it's okay, but time has come around for me to upgrade the video card I got a while back, a Nvidia Geforce FX 5200.

My computer is a strange on to say the least, to sum it up, it has PCI slot, but in that PCI slot is some sort of "adapter", I think the Best Buy tech called it a razor, anyways, this "adapter" has 2 slots on the side of it, both AGP, but my computer's structure does not allow for a AGP card with the extended bracket, and apparently my only options are limited to say the least.

If I remove the "adapter" and choose to get a better PCI card, I'll have to do some searching for a better PCI card, something difficult this dev said, being that my main source of spending is $100 gift card from Best Buy.

If I go AGP, I'll have to find a card without the extended bracket. If I choose to just get the extended bracket AGP card, I'll either have to A) Leave my PC open 24/7 because of the damn things size, or B) Modify my PC untill it will fit, most likely nullifying the warranty.

So to end things off, I'd love to hear some suggestions of which option I should aim for, some solutions to my predicament or some suggestions on which card I should aim for (I.E ATI Radeon 9500). Thanks for any help.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
So you need a special 'low profile' AGP card? Not sure if there are any of those that are any better than your FX5200 to be honest. Certainly can't think of any off the top of my head (they do an X1300 but I'm pretty sure that's PCIe only).

I think you should put that gift card towards a new system if you're serious about upgrading.

Karuka

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
$130 won't exactly get me far in terms of a new system, this one I only got a year or 2 ago, and I don't play PC games that demand uber computer specs ( I own F.E.A.R. but I don't mind playing it on minimum settings, infact, the only PC games I own are Black and White 2, F.E.A.R. and World of Warcraft) and the "low-profile" AGP card isn't what I'm looking for, apparently the new ones have 2 outlets on the back for the PC moniter to be connected, the 2 outlets on the back are too large for my current setup, so I need 1, maybe low-profile is what I need, I don't exactly know much when it comes to PC terms n such.

Best Buy is expecting a new shipment tomorrow, I'm not exactly sure what I'll be looking for, so some names would help to even out the search. Thanks in advance.