MSDN-AA XP license does not work?

Help!

I recently signed up for my department's MSDN-AA program, and I got a
product key for Windows XP Pro. I'm installing a copy of XP Pro onto another
computer that I have, but for some reason, it says the product key is
invalid! I triple checked the key and it's correct. :(

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you on a Corporate license? Did you get the key from the MSDN Downloads
site?

M.L. wrote:
> Help!
>
> I recently signed up for my department's MSDN-AA program, and I got a
> product key for Windows XP Pro. I'm installing a copy of XP Pro onto another
> computer that I have, but for some reason, it says the product key is
> invalid! I triple checked the key and it's correct. :(
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks!

You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
sure that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
rare occasions.

Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

Are you using an MSDN installation CD to go with that MSDN Product Key?
Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
(OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and license/CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> M.L. wrote:
> > Help!
> >
> > I recently signed up for my department's MSDN-AA program, and I got a
> > product key for Windows XP Pro. I'm installing a copy of XP Pro onto another
> > computer that I have, but for some reason, it says the product key is
> > invalid! I triple checked the key and it's correct. :(
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks!
>

> You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
> easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
> a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
> leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
> sure that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
> this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
> rare occasions.
>
> Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637
>
> Are you using an MSDN installation CD to go with that MSDN Product Key?
> Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
> (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
> For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
> version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
> An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
> vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
> product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
> Bottom line: Product Keys and license/CD types cannot be mixed & matched.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I believe this may be the problem. I
borrowed my friend's XP cd to do the installation, but not the MSDN-AA cd
that I could have obtained through the department. I didn't realize there is
a "binding" to the kind of product key you can use!

Many thanks, everyone. :)

Hi,

Invalid or already registered? There is a difference. Does your academic
license allow for installations on multiple machines? Many do not.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone