Sign in with
Your question

No such thing as a stupid question...

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2006 10:45:11 PM

So I installed two 7200.10 when I built my new system, on startup, the computer recognizes two 320gb drives, and when I went to install windows it offered me two choices for where to put my OS, but when I boot up windows, there is only a drive C: listed, not the additional drive that I expect. Now I know it has been awhile since I built a computer, but there were no jumpers on these things...hmmm...and I was just looking at the bios screen as the machine booted up next to me, it looks like maybe the two drives it recognizes have the same name, so the same drive? And I thought the one cable you plug in seemed so simple....<sigh> this just has not been my day, OS is crapped out, runs hotter than expected when I can get it to run. Poor, poor new rig.

More about : thing stupid question

December 29, 2006 11:16:15 PM

Have you formatted both drives? If not, you need to format the 'secondary' (i.e. the one which doesn't have Windows on it and that you currently can't see) drive to NTFS.

I always use PartitionMagic, but I think if you right click My Computer and press Manage there is something in that screen that'll help you.

(Sorry if this is patronising/you've already checked it out, but your post was quite dense text which is difficult to read in any depth quickly)
December 29, 2006 11:22:09 PM

If it's windows XP, right click on My Computer, click Manage. Go to disk management and you should see your wayward drive in the right hand pane. You should be able to right-click it and format, partition, etc...
Related resources
December 29, 2006 11:23:43 PM

Ahh...yeah that is what I thought, I am having OS problems ATM, that explains it, just thought I was missing something, you both hit the nail on the head...thanks!
December 29, 2006 11:27:51 PM

You're very welcome, and glad to help. :) 
December 29, 2006 11:51:55 PM

While I am asking stupid questions, I cannot for the life of me remember how to make XP recognize more than 127gb...I had to take a really long route to reinstalling XP when my new media center edition didn't work, so the updating process is ongoing, don't have the new box on the internet yet, but is that one of the automatic updates? Or was there more to it?
December 30, 2006 12:00:08 AM

I don't know if it's a specific update or not, all I DO know is that it's in SP2. I unfortunately don't know if you can get it past 127Gb other than updating your install disk to SP2.
December 30, 2006 12:07:06 AM

Hmmm...I did install SP 2, finally got the new rig on the internet so will go through the update process now...I have seen it done before, I just don't remember, one of those things you don't pay attention to. Hmmm..
December 30, 2006 12:20:46 AM

Wish I could help you out more. I haven't ever gone over 120Gb for my drives. So no hands on experience. >.<
December 30, 2006 1:09:11 AM

By the sounds of it ure not running RAID or ne thing like that... so its simple.

Only plug in your PRIMARY OS DRIVE. Install windoze. Shut down, plug in 2nd drive, and all should be well. U may need to tell bios which is the start up drive or u will get a 'file missing' error cos it reads from the wrong drive. Then just format from win and ure done.

And remember ppls, there is no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
December 30, 2006 10:14:54 AM

I can't remember exactly how to do it either, but I'm sure it's only a Google away.

I know you're using Seagate, but for my first WD that I got over 127gb there was a tool on their website that patched Windows to enable large(r) disk support, so perhaps try the Seagate website.
January 1, 2007 11:59:23 PM

Check with your hard drive manufacturer; some provide software that helps you detect the whole disk.
!