Windows 7 won't accept keystrokes on login screen

jjackson106

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello, I'm not able to get past the password login screen in Windows 7. It won't accept my keystrokes. I've tried doing a system restore, using F8 and using the last good configuration, booting from a Windows 7 CD, etc, with the same result. Please help!

jjackson106

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Update: I discovered that if I switched my wireless mouse and keyboard with a USB mouse and keyboard, both worked and allowed me to enter my password on the login screen, then everthing was fine. The only thing I can figure is that the latest Windows update screwed up my wireless keyboard and mouse drivers! Now the only thing is I don't know how to get back to Windows recognizing my wireless keyboard and mouse without encountering the same problem again. Please advise!

jjackson106

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Update: I figured out how to get my wireless keyboard and mouse to work again. 'Had to resync them. 'Hope this information helps save someone else a lot of frustration and time! I think maybe a virus got through my Norton Antivirus!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Glad you figured it out. Always a good feeling.

Some of the newer wireless combos don't have a battery indicator warning so they can just stop functioning until they get a fresh AA cell.

Other thing to remember is that you can go to the Control Panel (Mouse or Keyboard) and check the hardware tab. A windows update or other new app could switch that combo to a different default device so it might not function properly until switched back.

Always good to have a 'legacy' mouse and keyboard handy to swap in when there's any question. I have one of the first IBM wired keyboards that audibly and physically makes a click, I still enjoy using for testing, or new computer startup.