Sign in with
Your question

UPS and PSU

Last response: in Components
December 30, 2006 12:50:32 AM

I am going to build a new PC and since the power in my area is not very reliable I decided to by an UPS, (BELKIN 1000 VA). I was also going to buy a SEASONIC PC S12 Energy+ 550 W, for PSU.
My question is since I will have a clean power supply from my rather expensive ups, could I be better off with a cheaper psu?

More about : ups psu

December 30, 2006 2:27:39 AM

Mpilchfamily is dead on. I would bet that a lot of computer hardware has been returned as bad because of cheap power supplies. Never ever skimp on the PS because it will cost you more in frustration and parts in the long run. That is not to say that a good PS won't blow up, but a cheap one probably will. I looked on the Belkin website and could only find 900VA and 1000VA. I will assume your choice is similar. The Belkin UPS in that range has built in voltage regulation for brown out protection which is an important feature. I usually go for the American Power Conversion UPS but I am sure the Belkin will be fine. I think I heard that Seasonic is reputable but I am sure you have already checked. The Seasonic has built in active power factor correction but I think this is primarily for the benefit of the electric utility. Good luck on the build.
December 30, 2006 1:36:34 PM

Thank you for your feedback, I'm just making sure I don´t spend money unecessarily.
This is going to be my first build, and I've been reading a lot about the state of technology, (I am one of those that prior to the purchase of a new system becomes an expert, quite time consuming; but well... it's entertaining)

I think I will stick with the seasonic PSU then
Related resources
December 30, 2006 2:44:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your feedback, I'm just making sure I don´t spend money unecessarily.
This is going to be my first build, and I've been reading a lot about the state of technology, (I am one of those that prior to the purchase of a new system becomes an expert, quite time consuming; but well... it's entertaining)

It is refreshing to hear that you are researching your components in detail before building. So many people fail to do this.

A comment on PSU technology: Power Factor Correction, whether active or passive, is of no benefit to the user. Its benefit is to your utility company. What you as a user should be concerned about is efficiency. An 80% efficient PSU is better than a 70% unit, but the added cost of the more efficient unit must be taken into account.

-Bob
December 30, 2006 2:49:46 PM

Quote:

Nice to hear I am not the only one. Took me about 1 year to come up with my system, of course not having the money originally caused some of the delay...
December 30, 2006 4:31:09 PM

Quote:
Nice to hear I am not the only one. Took me about 1 year to come up with my system, of course not having the money originally caused some of the delay...

Lol, money and technology, I delayed everything for vista, I was going to buy my computer for xmas. Of course it's giving me more time to research in my spare time (I already changed a lot of things and'm going to be better off). Gave up on the idea of waiting for a dx10 affordable graphic card though.

PS: Great find, this site
!