Mapped Network Drives losing connection

We are having a problem on our network where users are losing their
connections to mapped drives after a certain period of time. This
started happening after they were switched over to Active Directory.
There are not many things in common, however, here are a few. They all
have:
Outlook 2003
SMS Advanced Client
McAfee Virus Scan 8.0.0 with the Anti-Spyware Module
Windows 2000 (some SP3, some SP4)

The drives are mapped from a login script, they are not locally mapped.
Here are a few errors from the error log which seem strange:

6:47:36 AM Information - Event # 5000

VirusScan Enterprise McShield service started - scanning for 128861
viruses.
Engine version : 4.4.00
.DAT version : 4502

EXTRA.DAT name : None
Number of virus signatures in EXTRA.DAT : None
Names of viruses that EXTRA.DAT can detect : None

6:52:58 AM Warning - Event # 4100

The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber
{6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoCreateInstanceEx returned
HRESULT 8000401A.

6:58:04 AM Information - Event # 4

Network interface has been reconnected.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. We are stumped on this
one and so far searches on Google & EventID.net have not helped.
3 answers Last reply
More about mapped network drives losing connection

    I'm sorry, I should have put this in the original post, it slipped my
    mind. The auto disconnect is set to 15, however changing it does not
    help. We changed to 0 on a working pc and their drives were never
    disconnected. We also set it to -1(never disconnect) on the affected
    machines and the drives still disconnected. Same as if we switched it
    to some huge number. They still disconnected after ~ 1hour.

    This usually doesn't cause any problems. Either case the default timeout is
    15 minutes. From a command prompt on the *server side*
    net config server /autodisconnect:-1
    for no disconnect.

    Setting this from the command line may turn off auto tuning for the server
    service. So a better solution is to navigate to
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

    and set the Reg_DWord hex value of
    "autodisconnect"=ffffffff

    If "autodisconnect" doesn't exist, Add it.

    (note; ffffffff = aprox. 8171 years)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <nospam@meatonconsulting.com> wrote:
    | We are having a problem on our network where users are losing their
    | connections to mapped drives after a certain period of time. This
    | started happening after they were switched over to Active Directory.
    | There are not many things in common, however, here are a few. They all
    | have:
    | Outlook 2003
    | SMS Advanced Client
    | McAfee Virus Scan 8.0.0 with the Anti-Spyware Module
    | Windows 2000 (some SP3, some SP4)
    |
    | The drives are mapped from a login script, they are not locally mapped.
    | Here are a few errors from the error log which seem strange:
    |
    | 6:47:36 AM Information - Event # 5000
    |
    | VirusScan Enterprise McShield service started - scanning for 128861
    | viruses.
    | Engine version : 4.4.00
    | .DAT version : 4502
    |
    | EXTRA.DAT name : None
    | Number of virus signatures in EXTRA.DAT : None
    | Names of viruses that EXTRA.DAT can detect : None
    |
    | 6:52:58 AM Warning - Event # 4100
    |
    | The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber
    | {6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoCreateInstanceEx returned
    | HRESULT 8000401A.
    |
    | 6:58:04 AM Information - Event # 4
    |
    | Network interface has been reconnected.
    |
    | Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. We are stumped on this
    | one and so far searches on Google & EventID.net have not helped.

    It has to be done *server side* of the connection.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <nospam@meatonconsulting.com> wrote:
    | I'm sorry, I should have put this in the original post, it slipped my
    | mind. The auto disconnect is set to 15, however changing it does not
    | help. We changed to 0 on a working pc and their drives were never
    | disconnected. We also set it to -1(never disconnect) on the affected
    | machines and the drives still disconnected. Same as if we switched it
    | to some huge number. They still disconnected after ~ 1hour.

Connection Windows