Bass and Treble disabled

amjwh99

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hi, I just got some new headphones recently and after plugging them into my systems I was disappointed. They sound pretty weak. Previously I had a pair of Sennhesier PC150's and upgraded to Steelsound 5h .v2 (which is a much better headset). But the sound from my PC150’s was much better; it had more bass and treble. So I thought I could go into the Sound Controls and put the bass and treble up, but I was wrong. The bass and treble settings are disabled.(see picture for details)
bassandtreble.gif

I have an Asus M2N-E mboard with Soundmax onboard sound. The Soundmax Control Panel has no bass and treble setting so I have no clue what to do if I want to adjust these settings. I called up Asus support and didn’t receive any help in solving my problem. I have the latest drivers and even tried reverting back to older drivers and nothing has helped. I’m not sure if they exist, but are there any universal sound drivers I could use that would work? Right now it sounds like garbage. Thanks for any help in advance.

amjwh99

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm also looking to get bass and treble when I play video games. Any way of doing that?

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
if you want an improvement on sound quality ( bass/treble), you should invest in a soundcard. if you dont have too much money to spare, get an audigy2 oem or an audigy 4 se. you'll notice the difference once you install a sound card.

and why did you switch from the sennheisers anyway?

amjwh99

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
if you want an improvement on sound quality ( bass/treble), you should invest in a soundcard. if you dont have too much money to spare, get an audigy2 oem or an audigy 4 se. you'll notice the difference once you install a sound card.

and why did you switch from the sennheisers anyway?

Yea that’s what I'm going to end up doing I guess... I had an Audigy 2 but I sold it on eBay once I got my new computer. I regret it now. It was a nice card and 10x better than this crappy onboard.

The mic on my PC150's broke (warranty was up)and I found a good deal on the Steel sounds. $30 Rebate + $30 when I applied for Amazon credit card + 3.99 for next day shipping so I ended up paying like 9 dollars the headset. I just wish I got the USB version, but I ended up getting the regular analog headset.
Also, according to reviews the Steel sound was supposed to be a better headset.