qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I would like to build an HTPC as I recently got a Panasonic HD Plasma TV. I have absolutely no clue what parts would be good for an HTPC. My budget is about $800. What parts would work for my build?

steviep831

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
It's going to be very difficult to put together an HTPC for less than $800. At least if you want it to look good and do what it's supposed to. Below I show you how to do it for less than $900.

Secondly, what do you want to do with the machine? Games, record tv, surf the web? If you want to do all those, you're going to need a good video card. A 7 series would do the trick and should be a minimum for this build. Don't even think about ATI for a HTPC. If you're recording tv, then you'll need a large HDD. 250GB at least. Also, you'll need a tv tuner card. Hauppauge are great, but there are others... do some research. htpcnews.com is a good start. Throw in 1GB of ram, a mobo with onboard 7.1 sound, a case and a dvd player.... you're looking at:

MCE2005- $110 @newegg.com
HDD (320GB- Seagate barracuda)- $95
MB w/ sound- ~$120
7600GT VGA card- $130
Ram (1GB)- $90
Tuner card (Hauppauge-basic)- $50
Case with PSU- $100-200
DVD-ROM player- $20
Processor (intel Core 2 Duo- 6300)- $184

For a grand total of $899 plus shipping and handling... for a very bare essentials HTPC. You can cut corners here and there if you really need to, but for this computer to work well, you're going to need to spend some $$ and spend a lot of time setting it up... Good luck!

[EDIT:] p.s. eventually you'll want to work on getting the htpc to be as quiet as possible. Noise culprits are: CPU fan, VGA fnas and then case fans. Several options are available for defeating fan noise. Zalmann makes good options for CPU. Artic cooling is good for VGA. And Silenx are my preferred case fan, though there are others. Remember 120mm fans are more efficient than 80mm fans at lower, quieter speeds.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
On that end, I assume you'll be thinking of some sort of HiDef connection. There are now graphics cards that have HDMI outputs, which would be the best route to go for ACPI compliance. You'll definitely want a passively cooled GPU here, so options will be limited.
As for capture hardware, I would recommend a PVR150 MCE, or one of Hauppauge's higher models if you would like to record more than on channel at once. MCE 2005 will allow you to record HDTV, but only terestial HD signals.
Since MCE records in a proprietary MPEG-2 format, all your recordings will take up a lot of space, usually about 2.66GB per hour of television recorded (in standard def). On that note, I highly recommend using a separate hard drive for your recording, preferably 200GB or larger. Use Tweak XP you move your "My Documents" folder over to the recording drive.
You'll also need an MPEG-2 software decoder, such as Nvidia's PureVideo or ATI's variation of the same. Cleve produced a nice article here on Tom's comparing the two; I suggest you read it.
As for ram, if this is a dedicated HTPC that will be nothing more than a glorified TiVo, 512MB of ram will be fine.
Motherboard will matter little, but a MicroATX might be preferred do to the possibility of using a small case. Some more important points are effective CPU fan control in the BIOS, and of course vcore options that allow you to undervolt. I had tremendous luck in that regard in the BIOS options on a socket 754 T-Force 6100, which would be a great choice if you don't mind buying old (but still 100% effective) tech. Using it I was able to undervolt a Sempron 2800 to 1.1 vcore, the point at which the cpu fan was no longer needed on the stock heatsink. The T-Force 6100 is also made in the socket 939 and (I believe) AM2 format, so they will probably have similar underclocking/fan control feature as the socket 754 board I used in the past. One thing I'm not sure about on those T-Force boards is their ability to suspend to ram (S3 standby). You'll definitely want a functioning S3 for your Media Center PC, as it cannot wake itself from hibernate to record. You might want to check with SilentPCreview's forums for a great mobo recommendation. While you're there, check out their PSU reviews to get an ultra quiet power supply.
MCE 2005, to the best of my knowledge, can't really utilize a dual core cpu, so a single core is the way to go. I recommend an Athlon 64 3000 socket 939, preferably undervolted so it generates as little heat as possible. It's an economical processor that is extremely effective for an MCE HTPC.

A build along these lines should be easy to achieve under $800. Hope that helps get you started. Good luck. :wink:

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Wow guys, thanks a lot for your replies! I don't really need a super cool HTPC with all the gizmos, just something to record shows, movies, and watch them, maybe some light gaming.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I run my old computer (see my sig) as an HTPC and it works great. I don't see the need for huge speeds & new builds to watch videos. I have an HTPC just because it is convenient and I had the spare parts to build it but I wouldn't go spend a bunch of money on buying a new one. You need any decent processor (P4, Ath XP/64), a video card with TV out (pretty much anything works especially with the low quality of recording and downloading you can get), pretty much any modern motherboard gas digital sound out, and 512MB ram (expand later when necessary). Hard drives are cheap, so give yourself plenty of space to put movies on and don't get the $40 TV tuner on sale like I did; go for a $100 IF you want to record.

I don't find myself recording shows; I just download them off the internet (using a USB wireless-G reciever with a usb extention cable - built-in cards don't work well near TV's). I would just say skip the TV tuner & get a mobo with digital out, cheap vid card, Ath64 3500/3800, 250GB sata drive and whatever DVD & case you like. If you or your friends have parts laying around, try those as you may find they are fine.

Jo

OK here is the HTPC I built. It runs cool, and there is no problems with being too slow to multitask, i.e, watch recored movies, and record live TV. I do not have sync problems.

3500+ AM2 $90
Gigabyte S series mobo w/built in 6150 video card $80
1gig samsung ddr2 $80
Qpac case $80
any HDD $80
Hauppage MCE tuner $100

Windows MCE

Total: $510
Add $80 for a hard drive if you wish.
A dual core might work better for more multitasking, but this set up works VERY well.

I chose to Stream my DVD's and other content over the network and did not put in a DVD player. I already have a good upconverting one.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Thanks for your replies guys. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO. I don't need an HTPC for $1000. I'm willing to go the AMD way this time around. :wink: I also want just good video quality with a few extras.

ender123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Heck I reused my old system for a basic HTPC. It is not anything fancy I am still using it as a testbed.

The components are:
Athlon 64 3000+ s754
MSI K8N NEO Platinum Nvidia 250GB motherboard
Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP Deluxe Tuner card ( I want to upgrade this to a HDTV ready card soon)
PNY Geforce 6200 AGP vid card with 256MB
1GB RAM
1 160 GB segate HDD, for OS and programs
1 320 GB segate HDD for video
1 DVD ROM, 1 DVD Burner
MSI Dual Net Wireless Adapter (Wireless b/g, and Bluetooth)
Running under windows XP

My recommendation is not to go too low on the memory etc. I was running a P4 2.66 with the above, but only 512 ram I was getting some audio sync issues when I converted recorded video to DVD's but with the addition of the 1gb ram and my a64 I have had zero issues.

My next step is to get a MCE compatible tuner card and try that route, either that or Beyond TV I have not decided, plus I wish to get an ASTC capable tuner.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I just built a new computer. I don't think that one's going to retire for a few years. :) But, I think I'm goign to wait...and in a year, reuse the parts from my Dell P4 system with 2 GB memory, add an HD, tuner, maybe change the mobo. I was wondering, since the mobos are proprietary, would the same system work with a new mobo, in a different case?

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I was wondering, since the mobos are proprietary, would the same system work with a new mobo, in a different case?

Dells use BTX motherboards instead of the ATX & mATX we are all used to. The P4 chip & DDR should fit in another mobo although it'll be hard to find. I looked for a socket 478 mobo a few months back and didn't find anything actually in stock anywhere around here. If you have a 775 socket though (check with CPU-Z), you'll be able to find a cheap mobo with good digital sound. What I did was built an HTPC out of someone's comp they were throwing out (266MHz...) and just kep adding parts to it as I got them from upgrading mine & my family's comps. I just look for good deals & when I see something I want for my comp I get it & pass down my current part to the HTPC or a siblings comp.

Jo

Dell mobos and cases are also proprietary. They do not use the normal screw hole layout, thus preventing you from 1.) using their case with a new mobo, and 2.) using their mobo in another case.

Because the job of the computer doesn't change, this computer could last for ever.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
That depends upon whether or not it is BTX. Many non-BTX Dells that also were not SFF were actually mATX standard. Specifically, all Dell Dimension 4500s, 4550s, 2400s, 3000s, 4600s, 1100s, B110s, and 8300s were all mATX standard. There are probably more.

I dont know about that.

The older 4500-4600 series and the 8300's series, and the 1100 series

(you know, the beige or old black and gray cases),

We have some of those lying around unused because we the mobo is dead and the cases are worthless, except for parts (aka the $100 case fan). I don't see those much anymore, though I work mostly with new Optiplexs and workstations. So its possible they switched to using not only the BTX, but standard m(ATX) fittings.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I do know about that. :wink:

All the ones I listed are mATX. The 8300 is a stretch though, as it is wider than most mATX boards. All the others are 100% mATX standard. That's how I have an Asrock 775i65G in my Dimension 4500 (purchased in 2002).

ender123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well i am talking about older modles, aka, Pentium 2/3, and earlier rambus p4s.

I have a P3 Dell motherboard with Rambus (i820 chipset) in a regular ATX case. The only thing not standard on it is the power supply.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I own a Dell Dimension 3000. The screws and motherboard are definetely proprietary. The PSU isn't, I used my Antec SP-500w in my Dell to test it. The thing is, I will be able to get a new case and mobo, and transfer the other parts. They will work right? BTW, it's a socket 478. About not finding mobos anywhere...I had seen some 478s a few months back on Newegg. I'm not sure if they still have them.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
That Dell Dimension is so mATX, it's not even funny. Those cases are the easiest Dell cases to reuse. Just rewire the front panel connector and figure out the front audio/usb connecter and your set. Your case even has a removable rear IO panel the same size as any conventional motherboard IO panel. Trust me, you've got it easy compared to the older clamshell cases like my Dell 4500.

In case you still don't believe me, here is a pic of an aftermarket board in a Dell 3000 case:

InsideTheAnimal.jpg

Ya, that's real proprietary all right. :roll:

@Comptia Rep: I also have a Dell Dimension XPS R450, manufactured in 1998. It is a beige tower design, and houses a standard full ATX slot 1 (440BX) mobo with a PII 450. It has the proprietary power connectors that Dell was infamous for during that period, but the mobo itself is your typical standard ATX design.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
u prob want to watch hd vids that will soon be available wich i really recomming going for at least a high end card in the last revision of dx9 im talking x1800/7800 and above