Intel Socket Types

geoffry

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I have heard that Intel has said they will be keeping the LGA 775 socket for awhile.

However, looking at all the info I can find on Penryn, Wolfdale and Yorkfield I can see they will run on the new "bearlake" chipset with PCI-E gen 2 and DDR 3 memory.

Being based on a different manufacturing process, would the socket be inclined to change as well?

Thanks.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have heard that Intel has said they will be keeping the LGA 775 socket for awhile.

However, looking at all the info I can find on Penryn, Wolfdale and Yorkfield I can see they will run on the new "bearlake" chipset with PCI-E gen 2 and DDR 3 memory.

Being based on a different manufacturing process, would the socket be inclined to change as well?

Thanks.

The new Bearlake chipset will have DDR3 support but only the X38 Performance chipset will have the PCIe Gen 2. The release of this chipset is set for some time in the 3rd quarter.

geoffry

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Thanks for the info...

Although this is more of a mobo questions now...with 680i and 650i chipsets supporting the 1333 mhz FSB and 8 gigs of ram (like what intel showed off at IDF in its bearlake chipset), do you think the DDR-3 support is hidden and would just require a firmware update?

Thanks again.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
DDR3 will require a different slot and voltage than DDR2 (DDR3 will use 1.5v opposed to DDR2's 1.8v) - so I doubt you'll be able to upgrade with just a firmware update.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Should be interesting to see how much of a performance gain DDR3 will offer initially. While it has increased speed and bandwidth, the latency is much higher.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Should be interesting to see how much of a performance gain DDR3 will offer initially. While it has increased speed and bandwidth, the latency is much higher.

History reinventing itself? The change from DDR to DDR2? Faster but higher latencies? Okay it will probably be a bit different but over time DDR3 will mature and we will get 'fast' RAM at acceptable latencies.

Doe's anyone think that the enthusiast market will move to using DDR3 when it is first released, I'm not talking about the high prices I'm talking about the capacity, the largest size I've seen so far is 512mb...

Or am I a bit behind... :oops: :lol:

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think the increased speed & bandwidth will outweigh the increased latency on the top-end modules (DDR3 has an initial top-end of 1600 MT/s which is double that of DDR2-800) - but, I'm sure it is going to be priced beyond the reach of mere mortals initially. At the lower end (DDR3-800), I would expect that the top-end DDR2-800 may outperform it.

I think you're correct, that as it matures, the latancies may become acceptable - as well as the price.

Some preliminary info:
http://www.jedex.org/images/pdf/b_gervasi_modules.pdf

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Do you think the Yorkfield can POSSIBLY work on a p965? (With a BIOS update)
Yes, I did a search already.
I hope so, then my system can last much longer. At least until Socket B

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
It all comes down to what the boards VID will allow. The 45nm parts are running at what used to be the ULV parts. This of course means much lower operating and idle power usage.

So to answer your question. Yes, if the board can support the lower processor vids. It will not be a limitation of the chipset but of the board design.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
VID is the part of the circuit that takes input from the CPU on what voltage it should be run at. I believe there are at least 4 VID lines that define what voltage level the CPU wants to run at.

When you overclock a processor to reach those high speeds you will see setting the voltage from 1.325 common for a Conroe part to 1.425. That voltage is the VID voltage. I think it stands for Voltage ID.