How to ID the Global Catalog Server?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 3, 2005 5:59:22 AM

Yes, this q may indicate my stupidity level at this time of night, so bear
with me....

We have 5 Windows 2000 servers. 3 of them are Domain Controllers. Trying
to figure out which one is the Global Catalog server. Can the GC ONLY be on
a domain controller? Is there a setting I can look for, that would tell me
that the GC is on 'X' server?

Unfortunately, the sys admin at the company doesn't remember which one its
installed on. So is there a relatively easy way?

Thanks

More about : global catalog server

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:59:23 AM

GCs can only be on a DC.

Active Directory Sites and Services management snap-in will help you locate
the GCs. Drill down to the server and then right click on the NTDS
Settings. The GC checkbox is under the General tab.

Another way to find a GC is by querying DNS. For example, if I wanted to
find the GCs for contoso.com, I would do the following from a command
prompt.

nslookup -q=SRV _gc._tcp.contoso.com

"Courtney Regan" <DIEspammerDIE@DIEspammerDIE.COM> wrote in message
> Yes, this q may indicate my stupidity level at this time of night, so bear
> with me....
>

> We have 5 Windows 2000 servers. 3 of them are Domain Controllers. Trying
> to figure out which one is the Global Catalog server. Can the GC ONLY be
> on a domain controller? Is there a setting I can look for, that would
> tell me that the GC is on 'X' server?
>
> Unfortunately, the sys admin at the company doesn't remember which one its
> installed on. So is there a relatively easy way?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:33:01 PM

more than 1 dc should be a gc holder for failover. fyi
!