BF2 random disconnects

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I know I put this in the wrong section. But were it was previously for the last 7 days I got no help and only 18 people saw it, this includes me looking at it everyday to see if anyone has posted to it.

BF2 started to randomly disconnect lately. I don't know how to fix it. It's version 1.41. I have DMZ enabled on my computer and all firewalls off. Some of the things I already tried:

1. Updated Punkbuster.

2. Shut off every other computer in the house connected to the internet and shut of the wireless feature on the router.

3. Underclocked my computer back to default.

4. Tried a different Lan card.

5. Called my ISP they said it wasn't happening at the router or at there equipment.

6. Powercycled my equipment and reset the router to company defaults.

7. Reinstalled windows because I needed to put it on my raid 0 drives anyway. It didn't help.

8. Closed every process in taskmanager that I could.

9. Opened port 16567 on my router.

10. Ran a program called Ultima Online Trace Utility that I got from EA that is supposed to find where packets are being lost at. It is directed to the server I usually play on (War is Hell). Here are the results after a few hours:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/derekz_06/PACKETLOSS.jpg?t=1166911575

11. Installed Windows on a diff partition, installed only drivers, then BF2. Still didn't work.

I don't know anything else to do. Help is very much appreciated.

tarrack

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
my buddy had a similar problem and he was running his computer throught a router, he was on cable. You should disconnect the router and hook your comp up to the cable or dsl modem or however you connect to the internet. This solved my budies problem. The companies that make routers do not update the drivers or bios for the routers enough and they become incompatable with isps and such. worked for my buddy cant hurt to try it out.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I thought the router is the same thing as the DSL modem? The cable goes from an ethernet cable to a black box (which I thought was a router but actually is a DSL modem?) Then the Black box to the phone outlet. I can't plug my computer into the phone outlet because ethernet to phone outlet, not possible. You got me really confused. I guess I don't have a router.

DeathWalking

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
You have a similar setup to a buddy of mine, which REALLY confused me at the time. What you can do is, open Network Connections -> Internet Connections -> Properties -> Settings, and add any needed ports. I'm unsure whether you can add ranges there, so to be safe, in the past, I used a single entry per port.

Hope I've been some help.

mordenkhai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Now, atm I am playing BF2142 not BF2 so let me ask you (the OP) a question. Are you losing connection to the server you are playing on OR are you losing connection to "the Master Server" ? There is a huge difference. If you are losing your connection to the Master Server, or if you are just curious, then use UOTrace to master.gamespy.com as that is the server they use (for BF2142 at least) to send you to your game server and monitor the game for cheats etc so you *have* to be connected all the time.

Myself, I lose connection to the Master Server every 5-15 minutes. It makes me so angry. When I use UOTrace I get to about 6 sbcglobal.net servers and they all hit 100% PL during the "Poll" feature. I am in Sacramento, Ca I wonder if you are nearby and experience the same problems. Since they are my ISP I contacted them and they swapped me to another redback (set of network routers/etc) but it didnt help. I feel your pain.

Funny, I contacted EA support and they sent me to my ISP over the servers. My ISP responded with "we cant control the entire internet" and essentially told me to deal with it. I also considered posting here, but I didnt until I saw your topic. I gave up and now play in 5-15 minute increments until I am disgusted, really hard to rank up when you never get to finish a game.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Master server never thought of that. I lose my connection to all servers I play at. I too lose my connection every 5-15 minutes. And I play to I get frustrated which isn't good because I broke my headset today. Got so mad I threw it on the floor I didn't think I threw it all to hard but it snapped in half then I was really pissed and reposted this thread in the CPU section. I don't live near you though I live in central Nebraska.

I contacted my ISP a few days ago and we are supposed to do that redback thing to. They said they would call back and do it but I'm still waiting. I'm going to get Counterstrike soon in hopes that it doesn't have the same problem. Then I can play a online shooter and have fun.

The Ultima Online Trace utility is on packet 250 now. It hasn't lost any yet to that server. But it has lost several to other servers on the way there.

mordenkhai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Right I lose my connection on any server I play as well, but in BF2142 they give you a specific message for when it is the Master Server you lost. I have read on the net in various places that its that their system is overloaded atm with people playing and I do belive I have gotten fewer (tho never none) disconnects at times like 3am or later Pacific. I dunno what else to do so I have really just given up.