File/Folder search not working

Can anyone help please.
The search facility in my W2000 Prof.SP4 has stopped working.
Going via Start | Search - all that appears is a greyed out rectangle.
Search from W2000 Explorer - the Search button does nothing.
I don't get the search menu coming up.
All other functions (that I have tried!) appear to work normally.

How can I restore the search facility?
Will I have to reinstall W2000 Explorer from W2000 CD? if so
how should I go about this?
or is it a registry problem?

Any help gratefully received.

Charles Drown

Hi,

Try the troubleshooting steps in the following article

"Actions such as search and drag and drop do not work because the default
access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274696

I hope this helps!
JLM

"Charles Drown" wrote:

> Can anyone help please.
> The search facility in my W2000 Prof.SP4 has stopped working.
> Going via Start | Search - all that appears is a greyed out rectangle.
> Search from W2000 Explorer - the Search button does nothing.
> I don't get the search menu coming up.
> All other functions (that I have tried!) appear to work normally.
>
> How can I restore the search facility?
> Will I have to reinstall W2000 Explorer from W2000 CD? if so
> how should I go about this?
> or is it a registry problem?
>
> Any help gratefully received.
>
> Charles Drown