new build walkthrough

jba6511

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
well half of the stuff I ordered from newegg arrived today but because of the holiday the other half will be arriving on tuesday (unless UPS will allow me to pick up the package from the local center myself on saturday. anyone know if they allow this?) I will then be building for the first time and would like to make sure that I do everything in the correct order. Here is what I plan to do but please correct me or feel free to add comments, tips, etc. First place the PSU into the case and plug in but do not turn on. Then attach the CPU and heatsink to the motherboard. Then place the motherboard into the case. (I have a Lian Li PC7 Plus - anyone have any experience with this case?) Then insert the RAM and the Video Card. Connect everything to the power supply and attempt to POST. If this all goes well then connect the hardrive, dvd drive, floppy drive. Attempt to POST again and then if everything goes smoothly, install windows and upgrade the BIOS. Is this correct?

steviep831

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Looks good, but I wouldn't plug anything into a socket until you're ready to use it. Also, if it's a fairly new type of motherboard there shouldn't be any need to upgrade the BIOS unless you absolutely know of changes that will affect you. Messing with the BIOS can be tricky sometimes, unless you have like an MSI board which actually makes upgrading very easy. Lastly, be weiry of static electricity. Ground yourself often with the metal case innards if you don't have access to a static band. Enjoy the build... it's a lot of fun and very rewarding! Good luck!