Sign in with
Your question

Blank screen and continuously busy hard disk

Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2006 4:54:01 AM

Wasnt sure in which category to put this so prefered to put it in the CPU section.

This is a weird problem. My P4 machine isnt working at all. When I provide power the only thing I see is a blank screen and continuous HDD LED glow. This happened right after due to power failure during a WINDOWssss XP installation :(  . Also, PC used to boot for 30 seconds first and then shutdown with crap(distorted image) being shown in the monitor. Please help!

Thanks for reading.
December 30, 2006 7:48:25 AM

Quote:
format and reinstall
make sure you have no flash card readers installed

I cant format man! I cant even see my bios screen. Also even if I press DEL repeatedly during "supposed bootup" the HDD LED keeps glowing and no bios up there:( 
December 30, 2006 9:41:05 AM

Sorry it sounds like a motherboard or cpu. Mybe you had a power surge where the computer been shock and fried something. Best idea is if you have a older motherboard that will work for the cpu try it. Or if you have a older cpu try it on the motherboard. So you can find where the problem area.

Other areas is lose wires.

If your unsure go to a small computer store and have them test it out. Most of the time it cost around $50
Related resources
December 30, 2006 9:53:14 AM

Could also be your graphics cards. I used to have a similer problem with an X1800XL it wolnt boot at all and then if it did boot it would crash when loading Windows. If u have any other graphics cards about just swap them and see wat happens. But it does sound more of a motherbored fault.
December 30, 2006 11:48:43 AM

Yeah could be a lot of things. I had a similar problem and it turned out to the motherboard. I had tried a new CPU, new GFX card even new hard drive. But if you get nothing I would say it's either the motherboard or the graphics card. If you had a fault in any of the other components you would probably get the bios screen and a chance at seeing what's wrong. I would unplug everything from the mobo, even take out the CPU so you just have the mobo, PSU and graphics card and see what you get.
December 30, 2006 1:21:16 PM

Quote:
This happened right after due to power failure during a WINDOWssss XP installation :( 

This is a big clue. Most likely the Motherboard. Add the power supply to the list. Is your monitor still on line?
!