FTP Server

Greetings,

I am running my FTP Server off of Windows 2000 Server. I've gotten the
server pretty locked down.

My question is as it stands now people who access the site need to prepend
their username with my domain name (ie... domain/username). How do I, or
can I, fix this?

Also is it possible under Windows 2000 to set the home directory for users
logging into the FTP site? I'd rather them go directly to their folder than
start in the FTP root and have to navigate to their folder.

Thanks,

Marcus

Check out serv-U ftp server: http://www.cat-soft.com/

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

I had been using that.

It stopped working for me and when I called their tech support they tried to
help some and was then basically told, "Well it works for me. I don't know
what to tell you."

Marcus

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 18:14:03 -0500, "Marcus W. Brast" <mbrast@bergoliver.com> wrote:

>I had been using that.
>
>It stopped working for me and when I called their tech support they tried to
>help some and was then basically told, "Well it works for me. I don't know
>what to tell you."

The tech support people are the people who sell it. Try the mailing list
ListServer@cat-soft.com, or writing to the author Rob Beckers <Rob@cat-soft.com>.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

You got to be kidding.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Kevin D. Quitt" <KQuitt@IEEInc.com> wrote in message news:fjg1a1tb825qd2j3e3oao3n067gv53e92i@4ax.com...
> Check out serv-U ftp server: http://www.cat-soft.com/
>

> --
> #include <standard.disclaimer>
> _
> Kevin D Quitt USA 91387-4454 96.37% of all statistics are made up

To remove the neccessity of prepending a Domain name:

On the Domain controller:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSFTPSVC\Parameters
DefaultLogonDomain="yourdomainname.com"

Is the reg file watch for wrapping. Ther value is a REG_SZ data type.

Make virtual folders in the FTP site wuth the same name as the user. The physical name of the folders can be anything you want.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Marcus W. Brast" <mbrast@bergoliver.com> wrote in message news:O021EuGaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Greetings,
>
> I am running my FTP Server off of Windows 2000 Server. I've gotten the
> server pretty locked down.
>
> My question is as it stands now people who access the site need to prepend
> their username with my domain name (ie... domain/username). How do I, or
> can I, fix this?
>
> Also is it possible under Windows 2000 to set the home directory for users
> logging into the FTP site? I'd rather them go directly to their folder than
> start in the FTP root and have to navigate to their folder.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Thanks for the virtual folder trick, that worked like a charm.

I've tried the reg key on my FTP server and it didn't work. I can't find a
similar path on my Domain Controller (it's SBS 2k3 Standard).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marcus

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:06:07 -0400, "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You got to be kidding.

About what?

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

This is for the Windows 2000 FTP Server. It should work in 2003 as well. There is an article on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310723

Hmmm maybe not since you have IIS 6. Ask in:

microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Marcus W. Brast" <mbrast@bergoliver.com> wrote in message news:e4dxV8qaFHA.1660@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the virtual folder trick, that worked like a charm.
>
> I've tried the reg key on my FTP server and it didn't work. I can't find a
> similar path on my Domain Controller (it's SBS 2k3 Standard).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus
>
> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To remove the neccessity of prepending a Domain name:
>
> On the Domain controller:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSFTPSVC\Parameters
> DefaultLogonDomain="yourdomainname.com"
>
> Is the reg file watch for wrapping. Ther value is a REG_SZ data type.
>
> Make virtual folders in the FTP site wuth the same name as the user. The
> physical name of the folders can be anything you want.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Marcus W. Brast" <mbrast@bergoliver.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am running my FTP Server off of Windows 2000 Server. I've gotten the
> > server pretty locked down.
> >
> > My question is as it stands now people who access the site need to prepend
> > their username with my domain name (ie... domain/username). How do I, or
> > can I, fix this?
> >
> > Also is it possible under Windows 2000 to set the home directory for users
> > logging into the FTP site? I'd rather them go directly to their folder
> > than
> > start in the FTP root and have to navigate to their folder.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marcus

Serv-U FTP server is a hacker's delight you never noticed that before?

--
George Hester
_______________________________

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 02:19:54 -0400, "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Serv-U FTP server is a hacker's delight you never noticed that before?

It has been used by hackers, but not any of the recent versions. And the executable
itself wasn't hacked, it was just installed by the worm that had already invaded the
system. And the reason they used it is because it's so easy to use and so powerful, while
using very little system resource.

When was the last you looked at it?

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

The last time it was put on my machine. Maybe 6 mos ago. I did use it once
and liked it. But when it became a hacker's paradise I decided it wasn't
for me.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 03:09:35 -0400, "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The last time it was put on my machine. Maybe 6 mos ago. I did use it once
>and liked it. But when it became a hacker's paradise I decided it wasn't
>for me.

You keep saying it's a hacker's paradise; it's no such thing. It's harder to hack than
any other ftp server; it's more feature rich and secure than IIS' ftp server by far. Some
hackers install it once they've already broken into your system, but never to break into
your system.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
_

My only complaint was the level of tech support.

Love the program, but once it broke, I spoke to their tech support and they
tried to help, then I was told 'It works for me, I don't know what to tell
you."
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 03:09:35 -0400, "George Hester"
> <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The last time it was put on my machine. Maybe 6 mos ago. I did use it
>>once
>>and liked it. But when it became a hacker's paradise I decided it wasn't
>>for me.
>
> You keep saying it's a hacker's paradise; it's no such thing. It's harder
> to hack than
> any other ftp server; it's more feature rich and secure than IIS' ftp
> server by far. Some
> hackers install it once they've already broken into your system, but never
> to break into
> your system.
>

> --
> #include <standard.disclaimer>
> _
> Kevin D Quitt USA 91387-4454 96.37% of all statistics are made up

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I did NOT say it was used to break into
my machine. I said it was a Hacker's paradise. For example. It can be
started as a Service. Now how do I know if I use the thing that the Serv-U
that is on my sysytem came from me or was now put there by a hacker? Sure
sure I can anyilxe this analyze that and analyze have a merry ole time. Or
I can just keep it off my system at all. I'll go with the later.

--
George Hester